Discoloured bath handles

Author
Discussion

PositronicRay

Original Poster:

23,801 posts

160 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Any bright ideas how to improve? The chrome finish isn't flaky, but worn and copper coloured.

I don't want to replace the whole bath and access from the other side isn't an option.




Monkeylegend

23,561 posts

208 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Can you wrap them, it works for cars.

Simpo Two

78,424 posts

242 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Looks like the chrome has worn through to the brass underneath.

Short of painting them I'm not sure what you can do in situ. Some metal polish would cheer them up a bit.

rossyl

768 posts

144 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Polish off the chrome and take it back to brass.

PositronicRay

Original Poster:

23,801 posts

160 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Vinyl wrap sounds good, if I did it it'd look bit carp though.

Just tried some tcut, looking better.

How would you (and more importantly) how long would it take to polish off all the chrome?

sherman

10,221 posts

192 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
Could silver plating solution work.
Im sure I have seen similar be used on the Repair shop before.

Nushine Silver Plating Solution 100ml - permanently plate PURE SILVER onto worn silver, brass, copper and bronze (eco friendly formula) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D5TCYT8/ref=cm_sw_r...

PositronicRay

Original Poster:

23,801 posts

160 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
sherman said:
Could silver plating solution work.
Im sure I have seen similar be used on the Repair shop before.

Nushine Silver Plating Solution 100ml - permanently plate PURE SILVER onto worn silver, brass, copper and bronze (eco friendly formula) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D5TCYT8/ref=cm_sw_r...
It's a thought but the handle is a chrome finish not sure if

a) it'll take to the chrome,
B) if it doesn't how will the silver look alongside the chrome.

Simpo Two

78,424 posts

242 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
PositronicRay said:
sherman said:
Could silver plating solution work.
Im sure I have seen similar be used on the Repair shop before.

Nushine Silver Plating Solution 100ml - permanently plate PURE SILVER onto worn silver, brass, copper and bronze (eco friendly formula) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D5TCYT8/ref=cm_sw_r...
It's a thought but the handle is a chrome finish not sure if

a) it'll take to the chrome,
B) if it doesn't how will the silver look alongside the chrome.
It just plates the exposed brass. Shiny silver and shiny chrome are probably a better match than what you have. However silver will tarnish so a lacquer over all of it would be an idea.

g7jtk

1,648 posts

131 months

Saturday 14th May
quotequote all
PositronicRay said:
Vinyl wrap sounds good, if I did it it'd look bit carp though.

Just tried some tcut, looking better.

How would you (and more importantly) how long would it take to polish off all the chrome?
All that work to find out it’s not chrome