Netflix - What gems have you found?

Netflix - What gems have you found?

Author
Discussion

toasty

5,513 posts

168 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
I'm currently enjoying Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories. Little 20 minutes stories.

PurpleTurtle

3,579 posts

92 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
GetCarter said:
Janluke said:
OriginalFDM said:
Just finished Unbelivable. Absolutely gripping and compelling. Can’t remember the last time something hooked me so quickly and made me want to just keep going and going as soon as an episode finished.
Started this tonight and I'm hooked.
Absolutely brilliant acting. A true story. A must watch.
Am halfway through Unbelievable on recommendation from a friend and seeing it noted on here. Gripping stuff.

The 'flix' part of Netflix I find frustrating - in my view it is pretty poor for movies, unless you want to watch stuff from the 80's. However, every so often it throws up a gem of a short series like this and I love it. That and the raft of good kid's stuff on it keeps my subscription going!

jammy-git

23,770 posts

160 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
PurpleTurtle said:
Am halfway through Unbelievable on recommendation from a friend and seeing it noted on here. Gripping stuff.

The 'flix' part of Netflix I find frustrating - in my view it is pretty poor for movies, unless you want to watch stuff from the 80's. However, every so often it throws up a gem of a short series like this and I love it. That and the raft of good kid's stuff on it keeps my subscription going!
Do you think there are other sources that have a better selection of films? I've had Sky Movies in the past and that seemed crap. Amazon Prime is awful for it's selection of movies. iPlayer and Channel 4 have the odd gem but a very, very small selection....

Lazermilk

2,870 posts

29 months

Monday 18th November
quotequote all
jammy-git said:
PurpleTurtle said:
Am halfway through Unbelievable on recommendation from a friend and seeing it noted on here. Gripping stuff.

The 'flix' part of Netflix I find frustrating - in my view it is pretty poor for movies, unless you want to watch stuff from the 80's. However, every so often it throws up a gem of a short series like this and I love it. That and the raft of good kid's stuff on it keeps my subscription going!
Do you think there are other sources that have a better selection of films? I've had Sky Movies in the past and that seemed crap. Amazon Prime is awful for it's selection of movies. iPlayer and Channel 4 have the odd gem but a very, very small selection....
Kodi...

whistle

PurpleTurtle

3,579 posts

92 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
jammy-git said:
PurpleTurtle said:
Am halfway through Unbelievable on recommendation from a friend and seeing it noted on here. Gripping stuff.

The 'flix' part of Netflix I find frustrating - in my view it is pretty poor for movies, unless you want to watch stuff from the 80's. However, every so often it throws up a gem of a short series like this and I love it. That and the raft of good kid's stuff on it keeps my subscription going!
Do you think there are other sources that have a better selection of films? I've had Sky Movies in the past and that seemed crap. Amazon Prime is awful for it's selection of movies. iPlayer and Channel 4 have the odd gem but a very, very small selection....
Not sure, I had Sky Movies over 10 yrs ago but sacked it off on grounds of cost. I rarely get time ot watch a film from start to end, so the series nature of things like Unbelievable, with the ability to either dip in and out, or binge watch in one or two hits, is appealing.

Finished Unbelievable last night, fantastic, all the more interesting with it being a true story. 100% recommend.

JagLover

27,138 posts

183 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Just watched season 3 ep 1 of The Crown and have to say I think a few cracks are appearing in a once near perfect series.

First of all most of the new casting is OK but not really feeling it with the new Prince Phillip. I note as well he is just 8 years older than the previous one so did they really need to recast everyone?

Secondly I thought Churchill's funeral was almost an afterthought. But he was one of the key characters in the first season. We even spent an episode devoted to a painting of him!, and now his funeral is almost an after thought. A particularly bad decision in my view due to all the drama surrounding the funeral. It was spread over four days, watched by 350 million people and then you have all the moments surrounding the funeral, like dockers lowering cranes as the boat went past.

The funeral was also in 1965 while Wilson was elected in 1964 so did they really need to combine the two events?. A major misstep in my view and lets hope it is not a sign of things to come.

GetCarter

26,904 posts

227 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
JagLover said:
Just watched season 3 ep 1 of The Crown and have to say I think a few cracks are appearing in a once near perfect series.

First of all most of the new casting is OK but not really feeling it with the new Prince Phillip. I note as well he is just 8 years older than the previous one so did they really need to recast everyone?

Secondly I thought Churchill's funeral was almost an afterthought. But he was one of the key characters in the first season. We even spent an episode devoted to a painting of him!, and now his funeral is almost an after thought. A particularly bad decision in my view due to all the drama surrounding the funeral. It was spread over four days, watched by 350 million people and then you have all the moments surrounding the funeral, like dockers lowering cranes as the boat went past.

The funeral was also in 1965 while Wilson was elected in 1964 so did they really need to combine the two events?. A major misstep in my view and lets hope it is not a sign of things to come.
Eps 2 and 3 are much better. esp. 3

Mark Benson

5,365 posts

217 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
GetCarter said:
JagLover said:
Just watched season 3 ep 1 of The Crown and have to say I think a few cracks are appearing in a once near perfect series.

First of all most of the new casting is OK but not really feeling it with the new Prince Phillip. I note as well he is just 8 years older than the previous one so did they really need to recast everyone?

Secondly I thought Churchill's funeral was almost an afterthought. But he was one of the key characters in the first season. We even spent an episode devoted to a painting of him!, and now his funeral is almost an after thought. A particularly bad decision in my view due to all the drama surrounding the funeral. It was spread over four days, watched by 350 million people and then you have all the moments surrounding the funeral, like dockers lowering cranes as the boat went past.

The funeral was also in 1965 while Wilson was elected in 1964 so did they really need to combine the two events?. A major misstep in my view and lets hope it is not a sign of things to come.
Eps 2 and 3 are much better. esp. 3
I'm not warming to Olivia Coleman as Her Maj. which is odd as I usually rate her. I think Claire Foy did a more convincing job, this Queen's accent drops occasionally and she's lost some of the stiff upper lip of the previous series'.
Also agree about Chirchill's funeral - seemed like an afterthought just to transition us from one PM to the next.

2 episodes in and I'm sure I'll watch it all (Margaret's story was compelling) but it's lost it's gloss somehow.

JagLover

27,138 posts

183 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Mark Benson said:
Also agree about Chirchill's funeral - seemed like an afterthought just to transition us from one PM to the next.

2 episodes in and I'm sure I'll watch it all (Margaret's story was compelling) but it's lost it's gloss somehow.
When you think of all that Churchill's death symbolised in terms of here was the death of a man who had fought on the North West frontier, been a war correspondent in the Boer war, been in cabinet in WW1 and then led the country in WW2. His death really was the transition from one age to another and the end of empire.

The writers had been so keen to explore such themes in earlier episodes and here just missed the open goal entirely. A very poor writing decision IMO.

Janluke

1,639 posts

106 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Mark Benson said:
GetCarter said:
JagLover said:
Just watched season 3 ep 1 of The Crown and have to say I think a few cracks are appearing in a once near perfect series.

First of all most of the new casting is OK but not really feeling it with the new Prince Phillip. I note as well he is just 8 years older than the previous one so did they really need to recast everyone?

Secondly I thought Churchill's funeral was almost an afterthought. But he was one of the key characters in the first season. We even spent an episode devoted to a painting of him!, and now his funeral is almost an after thought. A particularly bad decision in my view due to all the drama surrounding the funeral. It was spread over four days, watched by 350 million people and then you have all the moments surrounding the funeral, like dockers lowering cranes as the boat went past.

The funeral was also in 1965 while Wilson was elected in 1964 so did they really need to combine the two events?. A major misstep in my view and lets hope it is not a sign of things to come.
Eps 2 and 3 are much better. esp. 3
I'm not warming to Olivia Coleman as Her Maj. which is odd as I usually rate her. I think Claire Foy did a more convincing job, this Queen's accent drops occasionally and she's lost some of the stiff upper lip of the previous series'.
Also agree about Chirchill's funeral - seemed like an afterthought just to transition us from one PM to the next.

2 episodes in and I'm sure I'll watch it all (Margaret's story was compelling) but it's lost it's gloss somehow.
Likewise, I've only watched the first one of the new series so plenty of time for it to grow but the Queen and DoE feel more like "impressions" as opposed to Claire Foy and Matt Smith's versions that felt like an "interpretation"

I got myself confused a little with Blunt as I thought I remembered it happening but couldn't of as I was born in 1965. As the story progressed I realised it wasnt made public until years later and thats what I remember

Thesprucegoose

19,799 posts

143 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
I'm half way through the crown and have to sy it is the best season so far, amazing story and so engrossing.

ben5575

2,318 posts

169 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Janluke said:
Mark Benson said:
GetCarter said:
Eps 2 and 3 are much better. esp. 3
I'm not warming to Olivia Coleman as Her Maj. which is odd as I usually rate her. I think Claire Foy did a more convincing job, this Queen's accent drops occasionally and she's lost some of the stiff upper lip of the previous series'.
Also agree about Chirchill's funeral - seemed like an afterthought just to transition us from one PM to the next.

2 episodes in and I'm sure I'll watch it all (Margaret's story was compelling) but it's lost it's gloss somehow.
Likewise, I've only watched the first one of the new series so plenty of time for it to grow but the Queen and DoE feel more like "impressions" as opposed to Claire Foy and Matt Smith's versions that felt like an "interpretation"

I got myself confused a little with Blunt as I thought I remembered it happening but couldn't of as I was born in 1965. As the story progressed I realised it wasnt made public until years later and thats what I remember
Yeah, the moment ep 3 starts, you know it's going to be a tough watch.

Funny you should say that about the Queen and DoE. I turned to my wife half way through Ep3 and said I can't even remember what the previous queen was like now, such is the strength of Coleman and Menzies. Not that I'm down playing Foy/Smith who were excellent.

That said, as much as I 'like' HBC, Vanessa Kirby will always Princess Margret to me. I am still conflicted about fancying 'Princess Margret' biggrin

Edited to add, this clip of Lady Glenconner (Princess Margret's right hand woman) on Graham Norton goes from the most awkward zero to hero in 3 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb8QqBKwYz4

Edited by ben5575 on Tuesday 19th November 17:00

Ayahuasca

24,275 posts

227 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
JagLover said:
fttm said:
The Siege of Jacobville , fresh company of Irish UN peacekeepers sent into early 60's Congo then hung out to dry by by politicians . 7/10
Yes it is fairly decent. I thought perhaps they had exaggerated the fighting but looking on Wikipedia it seems fairly accurate (if you can trust Wikipedia of course)
Is that a sequel to the Siege of Jadotville?

Ayahuasca

24,275 posts

227 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
The Bomb


An hour of atom bomb explosions, mushroom clouds and Cold War public info clips, set to music by The Acid.


jammy-git

23,770 posts

160 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
Ayahuasca said:
JagLover said:
fttm said:
The Siege of Jacobville , fresh company of Irish UN peacekeepers sent into early 60's Congo then hung out to dry by by politicians . 7/10
Yes it is fairly decent. I thought perhaps they had exaggerated the fighting but looking on Wikipedia it seems fairly accurate (if you can trust Wikipedia of course)
Is that a sequel to the Siege of Jadotville?
Those army guys just couldn't catch a break.

NAS

2,364 posts

179 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
Steamer said:
Thesprucegoose said:
The 24 hour war looks interesting.
Didnt realise that was new - watched it last night, ideal bit of Saturday night viewing.

Great bit of motorsport history and a great warm up for the Le Mans 66 / Ford vs Ferrari film.
Saw it yesterday, and it was indeed very interesting. Thanks for the tip.

Janluke

1,639 posts

106 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
toasty said:
I'm currently enjoying Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories. Little 20 minutes stories.
Watched the first one last night after seeing it on this thread, not something I would of picked out of a list but enjoyed the look and feel of the first one
many thanks

Legend83

9,261 posts

170 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
Started on Living With Yourself last night and ended up watching 3 episodes in a row - very good indeed.

Ayahuasca

24,275 posts

227 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
jammy-git said:
Ayahuasca said:
JagLover said:
fttm said:
The Siege of Jacobville , fresh company of Irish UN peacekeepers sent into early 60's Congo then hung out to dry by by politicians . 7/10
Yes it is fairly decent. I thought perhaps they had exaggerated the fighting but looking on Wikipedia it seems fairly accurate (if you can trust Wikipedia of course)
Is that a sequel to the Siege of Jadotville?
Those army guys just couldn't catch a break.
What I found interesting about the SOJ is that it is the mirror image of one of my all time favourite films The Wild Geese, where the Katanga mercs were the goodies and the government troops were the baddies. That and some good retro kit - the Magister Fouga and the FN FAL for example.

irocfan

21,320 posts

138 months

Wednesday 20th November
quotequote all
[quote=ben5575]
That said, as much as I 'like' HBC, Vanessa Kirby will always Princess Margret to me. I am still conflicted about fancying 'Princess Margret' biggrin
/quote]


IKWYM - got the same issue with liking HRH's baps... sorry Helen Mirren's!