Idris Elba - King of Speed

Idris Elba - King of Speed

Author
Discussion

FiF

39,444 posts

219 months

Sunday 12th July 2015
quotequote all
In a way this programme frustrates me as much as the classic car touring series with Richard Wilson. The premise was good, classic touring routes in classic British cars. Pity they chose a numpty who couldn't manage a manual gearbox and just inflicted the most awful treatment to very nice vehicles. tt.

monthefish

19,909 posts

199 months

Monday 13th July 2015
quotequote all
aka_kerrly said:
teabagger said:
I watched Idris Elba - No Limits

Idris struggled to get to the end of a rally stage without ripping the wheels off the car.

I felt sorry for the co- driver eek
I agree the co driver looked a little concerned & irritated.

It's almost frustrating watching someone given such amazing opportunities and then wasting it by NOT listening to the instructions he is given.

Pretty much the same behavior resulted in rolling Ari's BMW in the previous series.
Exactly this.

Wasn't at all surprised to see that the program is put together by no other than Idris Elba. No one else would have tolerated his behaviour.

crossle

1,518 posts

219 months

Monday 13th July 2015
quotequote all
I was frustrated by the amount of help, support and tuition that Idris received, but that he completely failed to "get" it.

I can't imagine that Guy Martin would have wasted such a brilliant opportunity?


Sea Demon

1,132 posts

181 months

Monday 13th July 2015
quotequote all
Any else spot his harness not being fitted over the HANS device?


Smollet

6,573 posts

158 months

Tuesday 21st July 2015
quotequote all
Last night was about our hero going drag racing. Opening scene is a exploded picture of the dragster he's going to use. He's talking us through the various components and gets to the rear end and says huge rear wheels and a graphic comes up and says go on guess what. Huge rear wheels. I'm so glad as otherwise I never would've guessed what they were.
It's not getting any better. Next week he drives a Bentley on some sand. Will it be in front of thousands of people? He's very obsessed about who's watching him it would seem

V8covin

4,018 posts

161 months

Tuesday 21st July 2015
quotequote all
He did better at drag racing than rallying,then again he only had to press the throttle,release the trans lock and steer in a straight line for 9 seconds wink

monthefish

19,909 posts

199 months

Tuesday 21st July 2015
quotequote all
crossle said:
I was frustrated by the amount of help, support and tuition that Idris received, but that he completely failed to "get" it.

I can't imagine that Guy Martin would have wasted such a brilliant opportunity?
Exactly this.

It's his swagger that he has and assumes he knows better, when he's proven time and again that he doesn't.

It's not hard to finish a rally - his problem was he tried to be fast when he didn't have the skills to back it up.

crossle

1,518 posts

219 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
I enjoyed the aerobatics one, but he does seem to have "learning difficulties" sometimes...

The drag racing episode was turned off after ten minutes, and I've cancelled the series link on the rest.

FiF

39,444 posts

219 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
Well seeing as the next episode seems to be about driving a Bentley down Pendine sands that may be the right decision. What are they doing to do to ensure his adulation from the crowds on a remote-ish Welsh beach.

A comparison with Guy Martin's recent series does him no favours in any respect.

R8Steve

4,150 posts

143 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
FiF said:
Well seeing as the next episode seems to be about driving a Bentley down Pendine sands that may be the right decision. What are they doing to do to ensure his adulation from the crowds on a remote-ish Welsh beach.

A comparison with Guy Martin's recent series does him no favours in any respect.
What a hero, breaking a Flying mile record set in 1927 in a brand new Bentley. Hardly the stuff of daredevil legend.

Didn't that guy that got caught speeding in a 911 turbo break that years ago anyway? hehe

FourWheelDrift

82,497 posts

252 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
R8Steve said:
FiF said:
Well seeing as the next episode seems to be about driving a Bentley down Pendine sands that may be the right decision. What are they doing to do to ensure his adulation from the crowds on a remote-ish Welsh beach.

A comparison with Guy Martin's recent series does him no favours in any respect.
What a hero, breaking a Flying mile record set in 1927 in a brand new Bentley. Hardly the stuff of daredevil legend.

Didn't that guy that got caught speeding in a 911 turbo break that years ago anyway? hehe
His grandson decided to get his the old Bluebird out on the sands for a run last week, probably beat him too. wink

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/historic-racing/...

R8Steve

4,150 posts

143 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
FourWheelDrift said:
R8Steve said:
FiF said:
Well seeing as the next episode seems to be about driving a Bentley down Pendine sands that may be the right decision. What are they doing to do to ensure his adulation from the crowds on a remote-ish Welsh beach.

A comparison with Guy Martin's recent series does him no favours in any respect.
What a hero, breaking a Flying mile record set in 1927 in a brand new Bentley. Hardly the stuff of daredevil legend.

Didn't that guy that got caught speeding in a 911 turbo break that years ago anyway? hehe
His grandson decided to get his the old Bluebird out on the sands for a run last week, probably beat him too. wink

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/historic-racing/...
I hope he did, seems a bit more appropriate for something like that to hold the record than some guy that's done a few films in a rental Bentley.

CamMoreRon

1,237 posts

93 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
I'll be on tonight's show! biggrin

I did the chassis prep for his land speed record attempt. I won't spoil anything, but it should be a good episode from all the drama I remember - hopefully it makes the final cut!

I'm kinda dreading seeing how my demeanour goes from decidedly chipper to utterly incoherent as the all-nighters stack up, though. laugh

Atmospheric

5,269 posts

176 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
Intresting thread.

davegreg

1,078 posts

157 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
I can't get away with him - doesn't seem to have much personality for this type of show. Tuned in for the Drag Racing episode, only because I thought he was going to be driving a Top Fueller! Won't be watching any more.

Muncher

12,090 posts

217 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
He comes across as a right tit in this.

Jazoli

8,325 posts

218 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
Is there a car he hasn't crashed so far?

he's not a great driver is he, at least managed to keep it in a straight line rolleyes

teabagger

723 posts

165 months

Monday 27th July 2015
quotequote all
Loving the hand on the door while driving on track technique. yikes

FiF

39,444 posts

219 months

Tuesday 28th July 2015
quotequote all
Thing I don't get is that if he wanted to have a good go at <insert name of motor sport of choice> then he has the money to do it, get proper equipment, backup, training and really go for it.

Either he has some sort of showman drive, which being an actor he must have, or it's simply a vehicle for his production company, in which case if you don't have the talent, why put yourself through it.

CamMoreRon

1,237 posts

93 months

Tuesday 28th July 2015
quotequote all
He's genuinely interested, and a total speed freak. smile

(Just is a bit too impatient to be good at it; however, enthusiasm is good, right?)