Saving lives at sea: BBC 1

Saving lives at sea: BBC 1

Author
Discussion

Europa1

9,092 posts

135 months

Wednesday 5th September 2018
quotequote all
megaphone said:
Do they pay commercial rates on their properties?
I suspect that they claim charitable rates relief on their properties. So what?

megaphone

8,127 posts

198 months

Wednesday 5th September 2018
quotequote all
Europa1 said:
megaphone said:
Do they pay commercial rates on their properties?
I suspect that they claim charitable rates relief on their properties. So what?
That's good then.

megaphone

8,127 posts

198 months

Wednesday 5th September 2018
quotequote all
FiF said:
megaphone said:
Re government funding. Don't forget the RNLI is a registered charity, so indirectly does get funding.

They pay no tax on their income, also 'gift aid' gives them funding from private donations.

I suspect they claim back any VAT they pay on their expenses.

Do they pay commercial rates on their properties?
So basically they are treated exactly the same as every other registered charity then? Even if a look at the aim and operation of some charities results in raised eyebrows. Charities where no one literally puts their lives on the line, ever.

The rescue last night showing the yacht pulled off the shore close to Brighton could have ended with one or all not going home to their families. Trying to get a line across in that confused sea and in such wind meant such close quarter manoeuvres that could have ended with the yacht landing on top of a fully or partially capsized ILB.

To question whether folks giving such service pay the full rates on the premises is, frankly, a fking disgrace.
Calm down dear, it was a question not a statement.


FiF

36,097 posts

198 months

Wednesday 5th September 2018
quotequote all
megaphone said:
FiF said:
megaphone said:
Re government funding. Don't forget the RNLI is a registered charity, so indirectly does get funding.

They pay no tax on their income, also 'gift aid' gives them funding from private donations.

I suspect they claim back any VAT they pay on their expenses.

Do they pay commercial rates on their properties?
So basically they are treated exactly the same as every other registered charity then? Even if a look at the aim and operation of some charities results in raised eyebrows. Charities where no one literally puts their lives on the line, ever.

The rescue last night showing the yacht pulled off the shore close to Brighton could have ended with one or all not going home to their families. Trying to get a line across in that confused sea and in such wind meant such close quarter manoeuvres that could have ended with the yacht landing on top of a fully or partially capsized ILB.

To question whether folks giving such service pay the full rates on the premises is, frankly, a fking disgrace.
Calm down dear, it was a question not a statement.
First two words last sentence, "To question..." appears your comprehension is lacking.

Laurel Green

27,065 posts

179 months

Tuesday 11th September 2018
quotequote all
The chap with the partly, well, mostly severed foot; how lucky was he to not have an amputation - top work lads!

Athlon

Original Poster:

3,821 posts

153 months

Wednesday 12th September 2018
quotequote all
That was a bit nasty! Brave chap as well, matter of fact about the whole thing!
What a great series so far! and it really helps with fundraising as well!!

ecsrobin

10,147 posts

112 months

Thursday 13th September 2018
quotequote all
Athlon said:
What a great series so far! and it really helps with fundraising as well!!
I think the RNLI are superb although I did hear that they could run for 2-3 years if they stopped fundraising today! That’s a lot of cash tucked away!

CrutyRammers

9,546 posts

145 months

Thursday 13th September 2018
quotequote all
Laurel Green said:
The chap with the partly, well, mostly severed foot; how lucky was he to not have an amputation - top work lads!
Yeah that foot looked dead. Amazing repair by the surgeon, and top work by his crewmates getting him back safe.

Mothersruin

8,001 posts

46 months

Thursday 13th September 2018
quotequote all
ecsrobin said:
I think the RNLI are superb although I did hear that they could run for 2-3 years if they stopped fundraising today! That’s a lot of cash tucked away!
That'll be part of their constitution. Ours is three years operating costs. But that's not much in comparison.

dukeboy749r

832 posts

157 months

Thursday 13th September 2018
quotequote all
Brilliant program. Even more so when you have the like of Love Island also vying for air time.

What a comparison for young people - do I watch a program about vacuous wannabes, or selfless people who risk their lives for our time frolicking around the sea and coasts (etc)? Should be on BBC1 instead of East Enders

Athlon

Original Poster:

3,821 posts

153 months

Thursday 13th September 2018
quotequote all
ecsrobin said:
Athlon said:
What a great series so far! and it really helps with fundraising as well!!
I think the RNLI are superb although I did hear that they could run for 2-3 years if they stopped fundraising today! That’s a lot of cash tucked away!
Any major charity has to show the charities commission that they have a certain amount set aside to keep running if all funding stopped ( believe this is between 6-18 months). At the moment the RNLI has enough reserves to run alone for 11 months with no major extra outlay (i.e. the loss of a boat or other major asset)

FiF

36,097 posts

198 months

Thursday 13th September 2018
quotequote all
dukeboy749r said:
Brilliant program. Even more so when you have the like of Love Island also vying for air time.

What a comparison for young people - do I watch a program about vacuous wannabes, or selfless people who risk their lives for our time frolicking around the sea and coasts (etc)? Should be on BBC1 instead of East Enders
Absolutely seconded, it's too easy to describe the younger members of society as lazy, unthinking arsey snowflakes who can't even deal with the challenge of someone holding a different opinion, and to be fair some of them fit that to a tee. Then see those who serve selflessly for others and such as the young barefoot lad who carried his dad up rocks to save him.

Laurel Green

27,065 posts

179 months

Tuesday 18th September 2018
quotequote all
"At the end of the day we are only here to help people"

The emotions running through me as I watch this programme tell me it's a tad more than that.

Athlon

Original Poster:

3,821 posts

153 months

Tuesday 18th September 2018
quotequote all
Another superb episode. Brilliant work getting those kids out from the cave, it must have been difficult keeping it all together hearing the screams.

And superb skill by Padstow and Appledore managing to hold that ship with two small boats in terrible conditions.

Edited by Athlon on Tuesday 18th September 22:39

henrycrun

2,285 posts

187 months

Tuesday 18th September 2018
quotequote all
Amazing skill, bravery and patience.

Just an armchair observation. I've not seen the RNLI guys using a backpack for 1st aid kit.
I'd have thought that scrambling on rocks would be far easier with both hands free, but maybe wearing a rucksack in the surf is too dodgy ?

Laurel Green

27,065 posts

179 months

Tuesday 27th August
quotequote all
A new series starts this evening at 8 o'clock on BBC2.

garyhun

27,734 posts

175 months

Tuesday 27th August
quotequote all
Laurel Green said:
A new series starts this evening at 8 o'clock on BBC2.
Thanks for the heads-up thumbup

Matt_E_Mulsion

276 posts

12 months

Tuesday 27th August
quotequote all
I'm glad I saw this post too, it's one of the few programs that I will make time to sit down and watch.

andym1603

1,590 posts

119 months

Tuesday 27th August
quotequote all
Looking forward to it. One of the better programmes.

Athlon

Original Poster:

3,821 posts

153 months

Tuesday 27th August
quotequote all
Going to be another great series, my friends at Hoylake are on tonight smile I spent yesterday at their lifeboat day fundraising for them and had a great time as usual. Interesting tonight as they are using the hovercraft, one of just four stations to use one.