Strictly 2018.

Author
Discussion

BossHogg

Original Poster:

3,637 posts

122 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
First contestant revealed as Katie Piper, I had to Google her as I didn't have a clue who she was!

WJNB

1,905 posts

105 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
No idea who she is either but despite all her interview waffling justification for agreeing to take part I assume her career is at rock bottom & she needs the exposure. Of course being easy-ish on the eye exposure when it comes to costumes will be a given.
I gave up watching what has become an overrated noisy tacky show for Sun readers being aware that these days TV shows & advertisements are merely political vehicles to promote causes & issues.
For fun I made up an imagined list of contestants, not names just the categories that will satisfy our masters & accurately represent what is so lovingly called diversity. Rightly so of course. The list goes thus:
An even spread of male & female.
A person of colour.
A person with some sort of physical disability.
A person with an 'issue' of some sort.
A gay lesbian or bi person who will remind us weekly of their persuasion.
An overweight complete idiot as the novelty act.

None will be known to the wider public or those aged 50 or over.

Like everybody else I have absolutely no idea who is the frame so now I sit back & see how accurate that list is.


gmaz

3,383 posts

154 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
Brave girl who supports good causes.

"Piper has presented programmes including Channel 4's Bodyshockers, and has set up a charity to help people with facial disfigurements, burns or scars.

She was the victim of an acid attack in 2008 that left her blind in one eye, after an ex-boyfriend arranged for sulphuric acid to be thrown over her face."

LaurasOtherHalf

15,255 posts

140 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
A lot of respect for Katie Piper and what she's done since her attack here if I'm honest. Brave girl who has made the most of a horrible situation.

LittleBigPlanet

751 posts

85 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
LaurasOtherHalf said:
A lot of respect for Katie Piper and what she's done since her attack here if I'm honest. Brave girl who has made the most of a horrible situation.
Agreed.

Also great to see someone in the programme that should be seen as a real role model for those watching.

budgie smuggler

3,735 posts

103 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
LittleBigPlanet said:
Agreed.

Also great to see someone in the programme that should be seen as a real role model for those watching.
+1

Shame about the worthless helmet posting above saying her career is at rock bottom and calling her 'easy-ish on the eye'

Edited by budgie smuggler on Monday 13th August 15:41

boyse7en

3,803 posts

109 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
WJNB said:
No idea who she is either but despite all her interview waffling justification for agreeing to take part I assume her career is at rock bottom & she needs the exposure. Of course being easy-ish on the eye exposure when it comes to costumes will be a given.
You really don't have a clue do you. Maybe try Google next time before you look an utter twonk.

WJNB said:
I gave up watching what has become an overrated noisy tacky show for Sun readers being aware that these days TV shows & advertisements are merely political vehicles to promote causes & issues.
I'm not sure what political cause ballroom dancing is promoting. Equal rights for sequins?

WJNB said:
For fun I made up an imagined list of contestants, not names just the categories that will satisfy our masters & accurately represent what is so lovingly called diversity. Rightly so of course. The list goes thus:
An even spread of male & female.
Surely thats a given where the pairs are made of one member of each sex. Unless the much-vaunted single-sex partnerships come into effect SCD is always going to have a 50/50 ratio of contestants



devnull

2,134 posts

101 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
I don't agree with his first point about Katie, but WNJ's comments about the diverse spread that there will be is spot on, to be honest. Prime Time TV is an unabashed way of selling or promoting something these days - you only have to look at Love Island is that it was a massive sales machine for fashion / accessory companies.

Patch1875

3,487 posts

76 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
Danny John-jules also been announced.

cuprabob

7,731 posts

158 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
Faye Tozer of Steps fame has also been announced.

TheGroover

859 posts

219 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
Patch1875 said:
Danny John-jules also been announced.
Who was a dancer in the West end early in his career so you'd think he's going to be pretty good. Done some choreography as well I think.

ajprice

16,340 posts

140 months

Monday 13th August 2018
quotequote all
I'd think that Faye Tozer would know how to put one foot in front of the other in time to music, being in Steps and all that, and as said, DJJ knows what to do too. Bit of a headstart for both of them.

Nom de ploom

4,890 posts

118 months

Tuesday 14th August 2018
quotequote all
I'll be watching as per usual although the VTs need to be refreshed "I hope dancing on a boat / train / helicopter will help me this saturday"...yeah right whatever.

Otherwise it is a feel good fun programme and should reflect diversity and what better way to do it.

if the odious twunt poster above has so much to complain about don't watch it.


Shakermaker

9,386 posts

44 months

Tuesday 14th August 2018
quotequote all
Nom de ploom said:
I'll be watching as per usual although the VTs need to be refreshed "I hope dancing on a boat / train / helicopter will help me this saturday"...yeah right whatever.

Otherwise it is a feel good fun programme and should reflect diversity and what better way to do it.

if the odious twunt poster above has so much to complain about don't watch it.
He even said he doesn't watch it!

(I don't watch it either as a habit but it will be on in the house I'm sure I'll end up seeing bits of it)

BossHogg

Original Poster:

3,637 posts

122 months

Tuesday 14th August 2018
quotequote all
Mrshogg watches it religiously, gives me the opportunity to perve at pretty girls in tight outfits with her blessing! laugh

Clockwork Cupcake

60,889 posts

216 months

Tuesday 14th August 2018
quotequote all
BossHogg said:
Mrshogg watches it religiously, gives me the opportunity to perve at pretty girls in tight outfits with her blessing! laugh
And this is why Strictly has something for (almost) everyone. smile


Edited by Clockwork Cupcake on Tuesday 14th August 12:44

marcosgt

10,362 posts

120 months

Tuesday 14th August 2018
quotequote all
TheGroover said:
Patch1875 said:
Danny John-jules also been announced.
Who was a dancer in the West end early in his career so you'd think he's going to be pretty good. Done some choreography as well I think.
https://youtu.be/0VKz5aMCnyk?t=112

Ha ha - Exposed!

M

Japveesix

3,568 posts

112 months

Tuesday 14th August 2018
quotequote all
BossHogg said:
Mrshogg watches it religiously, gives me the opportunity to perve at pretty girls in tight outfits with her blessing! laugh
Same, my partner watches avidly (and so do I in fairness). The ladies and their outfits just add to the enjoyment.

I don't know a lot about Katie Piper but she's always seemed like a really decent, well meaning person and those are the people who usually become real crowd favourites.

Also saw Faye on The One Show and thought she looked amazing (was never a fan at all when she was in Steps) and came across really well, and Danny John-Jules looks about 20 years younger than his age.

As usual i won't know half the contestants or care about any of them at the start but after a few weeks they all start to bond and show more character and I end up liking most of them and outright cheering for some.

LaurasOtherHalf

15,255 posts

140 months

Tuesday 14th August 2018
quotequote all
Who is the YouTube'r they've announced? Even the other half doesn't know which means they must be niche (or we're getting old).

Welshbeef

37,251 posts

142 months

Tuesday 14th August 2018
quotequote all
Before Mrs beef is never watch it - however she twisted my arm /promise style and well I really enjoyed it and am an avid fan. Love the stunning dancers the costumes the great live band and it really is a show that you can talk to a 90ywar old or our 6yo such a breath of appeal.

Well done BBC