Settled status?

Author
Discussion

oyster

8,807 posts

186 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
Murph7355 said:
bhstewie said:
Good to see them doing the right thing.
Costing the taxpayer to sort out admin that the individual would have been very easily placed to deal with?

Seriously...May is a feckin moron. This is just like the u-tuns the dozy bint did during the GE. Who on earth is she trying to appeal to?
It’s called compromise. It’s give and take. And it’s the morally right thing to do.

Not-The-Messiah

1,075 posts

19 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
oyster said:
Murph7355 said:
bhstewie said:
Good to see them doing the right thing.
Costing the taxpayer to sort out admin that the individual would have been very easily placed to deal with?

Seriously...May is a feckin moron. This is just like the u-tuns the dozy bint did during the GE. Who on earth is she trying to appeal to?
It’s called compromise. It’s give and take. And it’s the morally right thing to do.
You do know that you can voluntarily pay more tax if you are able, I believe by just sending a check to HMRC. It's the morally right thing to, I assume your checks in the post?

Isaac Hunt

9,343 posts

149 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
Not-The-Messiah said:
You do know that you can voluntarily pay more tax if you are able, I believe by just sending a check to HMRC. It's the morally right thing to, I assume your checks in the post?
It makes you wonder if they pay any tax to start with.

JagLover

24,795 posts

173 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
oyster said:
Murph7355 said:
bhstewie said:
Good to see them doing the right thing.
Costing the taxpayer to sort out admin that the individual would have been very easily placed to deal with?

Seriously...May is a feckin moron. This is just like the u-tuns the dozy bint did during the GE. Who on earth is she trying to appeal to?
It’s called compromise. It’s give and take. And it’s the morally right thing to do.
It seems to be the "morally right thing to do" whatever is the cause of the latest twitter storm and is not just May who falls for this delusion, Boris was congratulating her on abolishing a fee designed to cover the basic admin costs of processing all these applications.

Spending the money instead on the usual functions of the UK government isn't the "morally right thing" apparently as no one has concocted faux outrage about it on social media.

bitchstewie

18,863 posts

148 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
Maybe it's just one of the minor details people should have thought about before voting for it?

I do keep being told people didn't vote with economic or immigration issues in mind so I'm sure you won't mind contributing.
Advertisement

Isaac Hunt

9,343 posts

149 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
JagLover said:
It seems to be the "morally right thing to do" whatever is the cause of the latest twitter storm and is not just May who falls for this delusion, Boris was congratulating her on abolishing a fee designed to cover the basic admin costs of processing all these applications.

Spending the money instead on the usual functions of the UK government isn't the "morally right thing" apparently as no one has concocted faux outrage about it on social media.
£250 million that could have been spent on the NHS wink

Murph7355

21,313 posts

194 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
oyster said:
It’s called compromise. It’s give and take. And it’s the morally right thing to do.
The compromise was in letting people remain here with little fuss and absolutely trivial costs (one hoped that would cover the cost and not place unnecessary burden on other expenditure).

There is zero moral imperative whatsoever. The arrangement as it stood was more than fair, as has been the UK's position on this matter more or less from day 1 (which isn't what I have seen of the EU).

Being Mussolini's uglier grandkid I'd have been more inclined to run anyone who hadn't taken up citizenship by now through a new controlled immigration check list/points system to test it out...

The balance of any nation's moral imperative must go to its own citizens.

Not-The-Messiah

1,075 posts

19 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
Isaac Hunt said:
£250 million that could have been spent on the NHS wink
It's £250 million that will now be needed to be found from existing tax revenue.

If paying £65 is to much to pay. And people don't think it's worth it they can leave.

Personally if I was living abroad and the political situation changed and I was uncertain of my status. Especially after reading all the scare stories in the media.
If the answer I finally got was "You can stay but it will cost you £65" I would think bargain and be chuffed.

esxste

1,473 posts

44 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
Not-The-Messiah said:
It's £250 million that will now be needed to be found from existing tax revenue.

If paying £65 is to much to pay. And people don't think it's worth it they can leave.

Personally if I was living abroad and the political situation changed and I was uncertain of my status. Especially after reading all the scare stories in the media.
If the answer I finally got was "You can stay but it will cost you £65" I would think bargain and be chuffed.
The vast majority of these people have been living in the UK for years. They've worked here and paid billions and billions in taxes.

It really would be an act of petty xenophobia to suddenly charge them for the privilege of continuing their life here after all they have given or face the prospect of uprooting their entire lives; taking their kids out of school, removing them from their friends.

Remember, the vote to leave wasn't about kicking out all the immigrants... no sir....



fido

13,771 posts

193 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
Not-The-Messiah said:
Personally if I was living abroad and the political situation changed and I was uncertain of my status. Especially after reading all the scare stories in the media.
If the answer I finally got was "You can stay but it will cost you £65" I would think bargain and be chuffed.
Ditto. Sick of these whingers. I noticed some of them are now not happy with just filling in some paperwork (or maybe it's J'OB on LBC stirring it up!)
I actually think the government gone about this the right way - by first announcing that it has a cost - but we will now waive it as we are nice! Hopefully the EU will get the message.

richie99

940 posts

124 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
esxste said:
The vast majority of these people have been living in the UK for years. They've worked here and paid billions and billions in taxes.

It really would be an act of petty xenophobia to suddenly charge them for the privilege of continuing their life here after all they have given or face the prospect of uprooting their entire lives; taking their kids out of school, removing them from their friends.

Remember, the vote to leave wasn't about kicking out all the immigrants... no sir....
If someone genuinely can't stump up £65 for this then I would question whether they are paying much, if any, tax.

Murph7355

21,313 posts

194 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
esxste said:
Not-The-Messiah said:
It's £250 million that will now be needed to be found from existing tax revenue.

If paying £65 is to much to pay. And people don't think it's worth it they can leave.

Personally if I was living abroad and the political situation changed and I was uncertain of my status. Especially after reading all the scare stories in the media.
If the answer I finally got was "You can stay but it will cost you £65" I would think bargain and be chuffed.
The vast majority of these people have been living in the UK for years. They've worked here and paid billions and billions in taxes.

It really would be an act of petty xenophobia to suddenly charge them for the privilege of continuing their life here after all they have given or face the prospect of uprooting their entire lives; taking their kids out of school, removing them from their friends.

Remember, the vote to leave wasn't about kicking out all the immigrants... no sir....
Oh pleeeeease. It has nothing to do with xenophobia, petty or otherwise, so try and keep a lid on that sort of petty accusation, eh.

I was born here and still have to stump up more than that for a passport every 10yrs. And various other bits of paperwork to go about life.

If £65 is sufficient for a family to feel a need to uproot their whole life then frankly wtf were they doing here in the first place?

And they have paid their billions and billions of taxes (each no doubt) to avail themselves of the services and structures that this country offers. It is not out of the goodness of their hearts (apart from possibly you and maybe mx5nut's mum and dad, nobody pays taxes on that basis).


Sway

10,400 posts

132 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
esxste said:
Not-The-Messiah said:
It's £250 million that will now be needed to be found from existing tax revenue.

If paying £65 is to much to pay. And people don't think it's worth it they can leave.

Personally if I was living abroad and the political situation changed and I was uncertain of my status. Especially after reading all the scare stories in the media.
If the answer I finally got was "You can stay but it will cost you £65" I would think bargain and be chuffed.
The vast majority of these people have been living in the UK for years. They've worked here and paid billions and billions in taxes.

It really would be an act of petty xenophobia to suddenly charge them for the privilege of continuing their life here after all they have given or face the prospect of uprooting their entire lives; taking their kids out of school, removing them from their friends.

Remember, the vote to leave wasn't about kicking out all the immigrants... no sir....
That's simply unsubstantiated, emotive tosh.

There is no requirement for them to get settled status - but of course if they don't they will have major issues in the future proving they arrived during the "window" where these rights were automatically afforded (as per Windrush).

Citation needed for the 'billions and billions' of tax paid - especially when 50% of the adult population are not paying net tax to the Exchequer.

oyster

8,807 posts

186 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
JagLover said:
oyster said:
Murph7355 said:
bhstewie said:
Good to see them doing the right thing.
Costing the taxpayer to sort out admin that the individual would have been very easily placed to deal with?

Seriously...May is a feckin moron. This is just like the u-tuns the dozy bint did during the GE. Who on earth is she trying to appeal to?
It’s called compromise. It’s give and take. And it’s the morally right thing to do.
It seems to be the "morally right thing to do" whatever is the cause of the latest twitter storm and is not just May who falls for this delusion, Boris was congratulating her on abolishing a fee designed to cover the basic admin costs of processing all these applications.

Spending the money instead on the usual functions of the UK government isn't the "morally right thing" apparently as no one has concocted faux outrage about it on social media.
Or better still drop the whole charade of settled status. Let them stay as they were before - what's the big deal?

Sway

10,400 posts

132 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
oyster said:
Or better still drop the whole charade of settled status. Let them stay as they were before - what's the big deal?
They can.

However, in the future when the rules for nationals from EEA countries are changed so they do not have the automatic right of residency and work in the UK, how will those currently here be able to prove they made use of that right during the period it was available?

This is to avoid another Windrush scandal - exactly the same premise.

alfie2244

9,002 posts

126 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
Xenophobia?

oyster

8,807 posts

186 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
Sway said:
oyster said:
Or better still drop the whole charade of settled status. Let them stay as they were before - what's the big deal?
They can.

However, in the future when the rules for nationals from EEA countries are changed so they do not have the automatic right of residency and work in the UK, how will those currently here be able to prove they made use of that right during the period it was available?

This is to avoid another Windrush scandal - exactly the same premise.
Ok fair point.

But if want them to stay here, which I presume is accepted by almost all, then it’s no big deal to cover the cost of the scheme as May set out yesterday.

powerstroke

7,895 posts

98 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
And UK nationals in the EU ???

Sway

10,400 posts

132 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
oyster said:
Sway said:
oyster said:
Or better still drop the whole charade of settled status. Let them stay as they were before - what's the big deal?
They can.

However, in the future when the rules for nationals from EEA countries are changed so they do not have the automatic right of residency and work in the UK, how will those currently here be able to prove they made use of that right during the period it was available?

This is to avoid another Windrush scandal - exactly the same premise.
Ok fair point.

But if want them to stay here, which I presume is accepted by almost all, then it’s no big deal to cover the cost of the scheme as May set out yesterday.
They could have stayed here for free. However, they'd have been taking a risk of much grief, effort and stress - and opened themselves up for potential issues in years to come. Personally, I don't have an issue either way regarding the charge, but I certainly wouldn't have an issue with paying £65 to mitigate that risk fully.

alfie2244

9,002 posts

126 months

Tuesday 22nd January
quotequote all
Little birdy tells me employers may have already been re-reimbursing those that have already applied even prior to yesterdays announcement.