Voting as a muslim

Author
Discussion

Rare

25 posts

2 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
s1962a said:
Rare said:
bhstewie said:
By coincidence this was one the front page of the Guardian.

Muslim voters could swing 31 marginal seats, research finds
What a nonsense article by a nonsense paper.

Do Muslims really vote en masse??

Surely these people are British why would they be defined as being Muslim as opposed to British ?

Why do they feel they need to stand differently ?
Do Sikhs and Hindus vote en masse or is it only a Muslim thing ?
muslims don't vote en masse.. plenty of opinions, just any other British people. So why did 25 tory members get suspended for anti islamic rhetoric? let people vote for the party that best represents their views, rather than single them out for abuse.
Agreed, but the suggestion by the MCB in the article was that Muslims could change the outcome in certain constituencies, which gives the impression that they vote the same way or the way in which the mosques advises.

Which i doubt is the case.

Does any party have anything in their manifesto that discriminates against muslims ?

Suspending a handful of people does not mean there is an issue with the parties policies or that them being in power would cause you any concern. The Chancellor doesn't appear to have any issue voting conservative.




TwigtheWonderkid

30,491 posts

98 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Johnson would shag his own granny and sell tickets to watch if he thought it was in his best interests. He will pander to whoever he needs to pander to in order to achieve his aims. That's the nature of the beast, and Muslims voting Tory just have to accept that a pact with Tommy Robinson is a possibility with a self serving scumbag like Johnson at the helm.

Whether that is more or less palatable than the alternative is an interesting debate.

was8v

1,718 posts

143 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
I may be personally financially better off under the Conservatives.

However I am very proud to be able to pay taxes that in someway supports those less fortunate than me - for healthcare, social as well as economic infrastructure. I'd be happy to pay more, once the Tories magic money tree stash from the austerity years has been exhausted.

Your children may not be so lucky as you - they may fall ill or make some unfortunate financial decisions in life.

It boils down to what sort of society you want to build - one where the successful look out for those that that are less fortunate, or one where there is increasing divide and conquer.

Success in life is largely down to luck - where you were born, who you meet and your appetite for risk in taking opportunities. It's not just about hard work.

Oilchange

5,811 posts

208 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
was8v said:
I may be personally financially better off under the Conservatives.

However I am very proud to be able to pay taxes that in someway supports those less fortunate than me - for healthcare, social as well as economic infrastructure. I'd be happy to pay more, once the Tories magic money tree stash from the austerity years has been exhausted.

Your children may not be so lucky as you - they may fall ill or make some unfortunate financial decisions in life.

It boils down to what sort of society you want to build - one where the successful look out for those that that are less fortunate, or one where there is increasing divide and conquer.

Success in life is largely down to luck - where you were born, who you meet and your appetite for risk in taking opportunities. It's not just about hard work.
There's a way of paying more taxes if you want to, it's called sending a cheque to HMRC.
Off you go.

Voight Kampff

5,507 posts

108 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
OP, forgive me if this has already been asked and answered but did you vote leave or remain?

Rare

25 posts

2 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Oilchange said:
There's a way of paying more taxes if you want to, it's called sending a cheque to HMRC.
Off you go.
You do find those happy to pay more have never taken up this option .....

markcoznottz

5,332 posts

172 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
was8v said:
I may be personally financially better off under the Conservatives.

However I am very proud to be able to pay taxes that in someway supports those less fortunate than me - for healthcare, social as well as economic infrastructure. I'd be happy to pay more, once the Tories magic money tree stash from the austerity years has been exhausted.

Your children may not be so lucky as you - they may fall ill or make some unfortunate financial decisions in life.

It boils down to what sort of society you want to build - one where the successful look out for those that that are less fortunate, or one where there is increasing divide and conquer.

Success in life is largely down to luck - where you were born, who you meet and your appetite for risk in taking opportunities. It's not just about hard work.
What 'stash' is that then. Public spending and overall tax take is at record levels. You will pay just as much tax under the cons as lab now , don't fool yourself. The 2010 manifesto between the two were identical, in terms of public spending. You've gone off on some tirade about social mobility, this stalled under new labour, the benefit system that they implemented was designed to trap people, and house price inflation and cheap credit was used as a diversion from fiscal drag etc.

Digga

28,569 posts

231 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
TwigtheWonderkid said:
Johnson would shag his own granny beat up a magic grandpa in a live TV debate at 8pm tonight and sell tickets to watch if he thought it was in his best interests.
FTFY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50472452

Digga

28,569 posts

231 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
s1962a said:
RTB said:
s1962a said:
oh look, another one.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/general-ele...

Labour has an anti semitism problem, and the Conservatives have a problem with the far right, which includes anti islamic rhetoric.
You have to make a call on how big you feel the problem is with each party and what impact that would have on the society you want to live in.

Or you could go into the polling booth cover up the candidates with one hand and put a tick next to a random candidate with the other.
When i wrote this post last week it was out of frustration that the Tories weren't doing anything to fix this but they seem to have suspended members that are affected, which is a good sign. Couple this with the racist incidents i've been reading and hearing about, which seem to have increased since Brexit, it just made me wonder whether voting Conservative for me is like turkeys voting for christmas. Judging by some of the comments on here, I have a feeling the tories have got the nations mood just right on this one unfortunately.
That suspended candidate from Aberdeen is, quite obviously, completely batst crazy and un-electable.

The breadth and depth of his views are incredible. Muslims were by no means the only innocent targets of his lunacy. If you read the report, there's scarcely an unsavoury view he did not hold.

Rare

25 posts

2 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Digga said:
s1962a said:
RTB said:
s1962a said:
oh look, another one.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/general-ele...

Labour has an anti semitism problem, and the Conservatives have a problem with the far right, which includes anti islamic rhetoric.
You have to make a call on how big you feel the problem is with each party and what impact that would have on the society you want to live in.

Or you could go into the polling booth cover up the candidates with one hand and put a tick next to a random candidate with the other.
When i wrote this post last week it was out of frustration that the Tories weren't doing anything to fix this but they seem to have suspended members that are affected, which is a good sign. Couple this with the racist incidents i've been reading and hearing about, which seem to have increased since Brexit, it just made me wonder whether voting Conservative for me is like turkeys voting for christmas. Judging by some of the comments on here, I have a feeling the tories have got the nations mood just right on this one unfortunately.
That suspended candidate from Aberdeen is, quite obviously, completely batst crazy and un-electable.

The breadth and depth of his views are incredible. Muslims were by no means the only innocent targets of his lunacy. If you read the report, there's scarcely an unsavoury view he did not hold.
But if the conservative manage to reduce everybodies tax bill and make the country better, what does one loan idiot in Aberdeen matter ?

Unless you want it to matter

ChevyChase77

1,079 posts

6 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
TwigtheWonderkid said:
Johnson would shag his own granny and sell tickets to watch if he thought it was in his best interests. He will pander to whoever he needs to pander to in order to achieve his aims. That's the nature of the beast, and Muslims voting Tory just have to accept that a pact with Tommy Robinson is a possibility with a self serving scumbag like Johnson at the helm.

Whether that is more or less palatable than the alternative is an interesting debate.
Johnson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Corbyn.

Keoparakolo

347 posts

2 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Liokault said:
Keoparakolo said:
Liokault said:
Keoparakolo said:
Vanden Saab said:
Would you care to list them or do we have to guess...
SNP - yes they’re very pro-Scottishnindependence, but they’re not outwardly racist.

.
You typed that with a straight face?
I typed it badly with a straight face, unless you’re so sensitive that you think them wanting independence is the same as them being outwardly racist to you about your skin colour / religion.
No, I think them wanting independence from the English whilst actively seeking greater dependence on the EU is racist. The SNP are a party built on hatred of a single identifiable group of people...that is more or less the modern interpretation of racism
Your first sentence isn’t even close to racist, the second is about as far from the definition as you can get. They don’t even promote hatred, despite your claim that they do.

You need to calm down a little, maybe try not to be so offended about it.

superlightr

10,251 posts

211 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
was8v said:
I
Success in life is largely down to luck - where you were born, who you meet and your appetite for risk in taking opportunities. It's not just about hard work.
Apart from birth - Luck is often the residue of good planning.


Edited by superlightr on Tuesday 19th November 15:24

Not-The-Messiah

1,670 posts

29 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
was8v said:
I may be personally financially better off under the Conservatives.

However I am very proud to be able to pay taxes that in someway supports those less fortunate than me - for healthcare, social as well as economic infrastructure. I'd be happy to pay more, once the Tories magic money tree stash from the austerity years has been exhausted.

Your children may not be so lucky as you - they may fall ill or make some unfortunate financial decisions in life.

It boils down to what sort of society you want to build - one where the successful look out for those that that are less fortunate, or one where there is increasing divide and conquer.

Success in life is largely down to luck - where you were born, who you meet and your appetite for risk in taking opportunities. It's not just about hard work.
Your dream society relies upon not just the people at the top doing there bit but also others not being lazy and feckless. People at the bottom expecting others to give them things. It's a team effort everyone needs to feel like everyone is in it together. It's no coincidence things like the NHS came not to long after WW2 something that bonded the entire nation in a single goal.

Since then we had multiculturalism the idea that nationalism (being proud of your nation) is a shameful thing. The increase intersectionality groups all trying to claim to be the biggest victim.

Your dream society if further away than ever before. Don't worry it's not going to stop delusional fools throwing everyone's money at it though until we've got none left.

The Moose

18,961 posts

157 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
s1962a said:
The Moose said:
I guess you have to make a decision. You have to decide if you’re more worried about your wallet or a potential for receiving some flack for being brown.
By flack do you mean racist abuse ?
It doesn’t really matter what label you put on it. That’s the decision you think you have to make, surely?

JuanCarlosFandango

2,158 posts

19 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
s1962a said:
oh look, another one.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/general-ele...

Labour has an anti semitism problem, and the Conservatives have a problem with the far right, which includes anti islamic rhetoric.
Article said:
forum that there is “no credible evidence to suggest the Holocaust did not happen”.

He continued: “I do find some of the events fabricated, and exegarated [sic] in some cases.

“As history is written by the victors there is always going to be a bit of re-writing.”
Hardly holocaust denial. A 20 year old asking questions.

Article said:
In further posts on a poker forum, he:

repeatedly shared pornography
boasted about "smashing birds"
bragged about spending his winnings on Tag Heuer watches
Come on, speak up. What's his PH name?

pequod

761 posts

86 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Voight Kampff said:
OP, forgive me if this has already been asked and answered but did you vote leave or remain?
Good question, and I wonder if the OP will be kind enough to tell us which constituency he lives in?

was8v

1,718 posts

143 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
Oilchange said:
There's a way of paying more taxes if you want to, it's called sending a cheque to HMRC.
Off you go.
Ta, doesn't really work unless everyone does it though does it?

I mean £50 million Johnson promised the railways will only build a few miles of track. I don't have that much.

I do give money by choice to causes that support those less fortunate than me though.

Not-The-Messiah said:
Your dream society relies upon not just the people at the top doing there bit but also others not being lazy and feckless. People at the bottom expecting others to give them things. It's a team effort everyone needs to feel like everyone is in it together. It's no coincidence things like the NHS came not to long after WW2 something that bonded the entire nation in a single goal.

Since then we had multiculturalism the idea that nationalism (being proud of your nation) is a shameful thing. The increase intersectionality groups all trying to claim to be the biggest victim.

Your dream society if further away than ever before. Don't worry it's not going to stop delusional fools throwing everyone's money at it though until we've got none left.
I have been described as lazy and feckless more than once. To write people off because you think they are lazy and feckless won't get the best out of them.

I don't identify with your assertion that being proud of my nation is shameful.

I am very proud to contribute to a society that looks after those less fortunate, and strategically invests around the world through the foreign aid in supporting economies after war and disaster.

People risk their lives to make it to this country, contribute to our society and make a better life for themselves. Doesn't that tell you something?

I am proud to be British, except when Farage opens his mouth.

was8v

1,718 posts

143 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
markcoznottz said:
What 'stash' is that then.
I dunno either, let's ask Boris where he has got all this money for Brexit and recent promises from. Maybe the sale of public assets.

Austerity regime was almost completely unnecessary, google it.

TwigtheWonderkid

30,491 posts

98 months

Tuesday 19th November
quotequote all
was8v said:
I am proud to be British, except when Farage opens his mouth.
I'm not. I used to be, but not any more. I don't like what we've become. I find it very un-British. As that Durham farmer said, we went to be on the night of the referendum as Great Britain, and woke up as Little Britain. Just about sums it up for me.

This country is a laughing stock. I'm sure Johnson will get back in, and so what if he does. We get the leaders we deserve. The fact that we're going to elect a lying, cheating charlatan, a Poundland Trump, tells you all you need to know about the country we've turned into.