46th President of the United States, Joe Biden

46th President of the United States, Joe Biden

Author
Discussion

silentbrown

6,407 posts

81 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
PRTVR said:
The details about ballot discrepancies was from here.

https://youtu.be/gDb7uQ76oJU
I'm not going to sit through 1:40mins of that, and I hope you didn't either.

His main "point" around the 20 minute part is a just a misunderstanding of what the City of Detroit numbers mean. Absentee ballots aren't tallied against precincts, but "counting boards". Absentee votes aren't shown in the first section (hence the low on-the-day turnouts)

Nothing in the segment I bothered with claimed turnout had changed from 40% to 80% anywhere.

As for signed ballots, all states already require a signature on absentee ballots. Some states require those signatures to be validated against other ID, and - critically - not all states that do validate signatures will inform a voter if the signature isn't a close enough match, thus allowing them to 'cure' their ballot.


Tartan Pixie

1,877 posts

112 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Iran considering EU-hosted nuclear deal talks with US: https://english.alarabiya.net/News/middle-east/202...

Iran's position is that America needs to return to the deal before talks can start which I assume is general high balling before negotiations start and wouldn't read too much in to it. America's position is, um, unknown?

Biden has stated a willingness to return to the JCPOA but things have moved on in the last four years with the SA/UAE/Israel alliance, Houthies now lobbing missiles in to Saudi on a semi regular basis, China financially supportive of Iran, Assad more secure than he was and general sh!tbaggery by Iranian proxies.

What a Biden administration decides to make of these changes remains to be seen but it's looking like much of the diplomatic legwork will be done in Brussels as a place where lower level diplomats can meet without having spurious assertions thrown about by the media.

<><><>

Talking of spurious assertions thrown about by the media the recent exchange of rockets and airstrikes between between Iranian proxies and US forces hasn't half has some drivel written about it, almost exclusively for the purpose of domestic tittle tattle.

The exchanges in Iraq have been going on for years and of course Iranian proxies were going to welcome a new president with some rockets, it would be rude not to. The American response will have been designed by commanders in the Middle east to discourage repeat offences and remind Iran that a change in president does not suddenly make the American military a soft target.

This is all stuff that will be decided by the relevant brass and tells us almost nothing about what Biden's strategy will be in the middle east, I say almost because there is one observation I can pull from all this and that's that Biden is not going to be bounced in to acting hastily.

IMO Biden has sore spot about the way in which America was drawn in to the Lybian and Syrian conflicts and Obama is on record saying this is one of the biggest regrets of this presidency. On a personal level it's also got to have hurt seeing the JCPOA torn up and the result which was to force Iran in to china's sphere and empower the hardliners in Iran who not only won last year's parliamentary elections but are also likely to win this year's presidential elections. For this reason I think Biden will move slowly and be looking for lasting solutions rather than quick fixes.

gregs656

6,594 posts

146 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
PRTVR said:
Do you think its a good idea to allow ballot papers without recognisable signatures ?
As I said earlier everything in America is polarised.
I don’t recall ever signing a ballot, or presenting ID to vote.

All this stuff is the Republicans complaining their voter obstruction was somewhat undermined thanks to COVID.

They need to get their st together over the minimum wage though.

Edited by gregs656 on Wednesday 3rd March 02:45

purplepenguin

1,318 posts

152 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
gregs656 said:
PRTVR said:
Do you think its a good idea to allow ballot papers without recognisable signatures ?
As I said earlier everything in America is polarised.
I don’t recall ever signing a ballot, or presenting ID to vote.

All this stuff is the Republicans complaining their voter obstruction was somewhat undermined thanks to COVID.

They need to get their st together over the minimum wage though.

Edited by gregs656 on Wednesday 3rd March 02:45
They won’t

PRTVR

5,868 posts

186 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
gregs656 said:
PRTVR said:
Do you think its a good idea to allow ballot papers without recognisable signatures ?
As I said earlier everything in America is polarised.
I don’t recall ever signing a ballot, or presenting ID to vote.

All this stuff is the Republicans complaining their voter obstruction was somewhat undermined thanks to COVID.

They need to get their st together over the minimum wage though.

Edited by gregs656 on Wednesday 3rd March 02:45
The signature part was reference to postal voting, its a requirement in the UK.
I agree on the minimum wage but sadly I think it will fail, big business has to much control and some do not see it in their best interest.

HM-2

5,919 posts

134 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
PRTVR said:
HM-2 said:
PRTVR said:
The details about ballot discrepancies was from here.

https://youtu.be/gDb7uQ76oJU
So your source is a Steven Crowder YouTube video?
Yes and unlike some YouTube sites links are provided to his sources.


https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/show-notes-new-m...
Rather hard to take the citations as valid when they include deleted tweets and when the video obviously misrepresents the sources it claims to quote.

RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat

12,154 posts

60 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Trump was (quite rightly) criticised for his dismissal of covid and false information (bleach, anyone?). However some also blamed him for the actions, or lack of them, on the ground.

Months on, and despite Biden's rhetoric, States are opening up at an accelerating pace. Meanwhile, democrat States that were used as poster boys are now coming under fire for behaviour that may have caused many unnecessary deaths.

Will those who criticised Trump offer the same criticism of Biden? Or will they accept the POTUS does not have the power to control individual States' response to Covid?


Byker28i

34,197 posts

182 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
None so blinkered as you.

trump did nothing, downplayed the threat, encouraged non mask wearing and then when it all went wrong claimed it was the states fault.
We have testimony that was his approach, as recommended by Kusher.

Biden has put a series of policies and actions into place, there's no surprise that with an adult in charge that the rates are dropping rapidly.

President Biden announces there will be enough vaccine supply for 300 million Americans by the end of May.
This is an acceleration of 2 months overthe previous projection.



It doesn't help the GOP based states are doing their best to continue trumps work

Texas ends mask mandate after 8 months, becoming largest state to lift order intended to prevent spread of COVID-19.
Greg Abbott
@GregAbbott_TX
I just announced Texas is OPEN 100%.
EVERYTHING.
I also ended the statewide mask mandate.

Edit:
trumps legacy



Edited by Byker28i on Wednesday 3rd March 08:39

Byker28i

34,197 posts

182 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
The Office of Congressional Ethics has concluded that there's "substantial" evidence Republican Rep. Steven Palazzo misused campaign and official funds and used his office to help his brother — in violation of House rules.

Byker28i

34,197 posts

182 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
The White House plans to withdraw the nomination of Neera Tanden as director of the Office of Management and Budget as early as Tuesday evening, according to people familiar with the matter.

Pres. Biden: "I have accepted Neera Tanden's request to withdraw her name ... I have the utmost respect for her record of accomplishment, her experience and her counsel, and I look forward to having her serve in a role in my Administration. She will bring valuable perspective."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/02...

WH released her letter


Edited by Byker28i on Wednesday 3rd March 07:56

RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat

12,154 posts

60 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Byker28i said:
The Office of Congressional Ethics has concluded that there's "substantial" evidence Republican Rep. Steven Palazzo misused campaign and official funds and used his office to help his brother — in violation of House rules.
What does this have to do with Biden?

Byker28i

34,197 posts

182 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat said:
Byker28i said:
The Office of Congressional Ethics has concluded that there's "substantial" evidence Republican Rep. Steven Palazzo misused campaign and official funds and used his office to help his brother — in violation of House rules.
What does this have to do with Biden?
What a short memory you have.
As stated last week, I use this thread to discuss current US politics. Showing a continuing trend of corruption with the GOP is easily linked to the struggles that Biden will have as they oppose his policies for their own personal gains.

RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat

12,154 posts

60 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Byker28i said:
What a short memory you have.
As stated last week, I use this thread to discuss current US politics. Showing a continuing trend of corruption with the GOP is easily linked to the struggles that Biden will have as they oppose his policies for their own personal gains.
What you mean is that you use the thread for irrelevant, partisan mudslinging.

By all means link your posts to the performance or otherwise of the subject of the thread. Otherwise you're just trolling, something that others often stand accused of despite posting more relevant information than you.

Byker28i

34,197 posts

182 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
I think Cuomo hasn't long left, probably out in the election next year? I can't see him being impeached unless daming evidence emerges, but he's becoming an embarrassment.


Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo spent Tuesday fending off calls for his resignation, with few voluble defenders in a moment of unparalleled weakness in his decade-long tenure in Albany.

Signs of the governor’s diminished sway were everywhere.

A small, but expanding, coterie of Democratic lawmakers called on Mr. Cuomo to step down, as did the state Working Families Party, which has frequently clashed with the governor. among some donors, there was an increasing sense of discomfort with reports of Mr. Cuomo’s behavior and uncertainty around his future, with one active Democratic donor describing a growing instinct to “hedge their bets.”

Representative Lee Zeldin, a Long Island Republican, announced on Tuesday that he was “actively exploring” a run for governor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/nyregion/cuomo-...

Byker28i

34,197 posts

182 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat said:
Byker28i said:
What a short memory you have.
As stated last week, I use this thread to discuss current US politics. Showing a continuing trend of corruption with the GOP is easily linked to the struggles that Biden will have as they oppose his policies for their own personal gains.
What you mean is that you use the thread for irrelevant, partisan mudslinging.

By all means link your posts to the performance or otherwise of the subject of the thread. Otherwise you're just trolling, something that others often stand accused of despite posting more relevant information than you.
That's your opinion which you are entitled to even if you are wrong - which you are. However you aren't a mod and to be honest I have little regard your views and opinions after several of the things you have posted, but I'm not surprised you've decided to attack me again. I'll say no more.

Byker28i

34,197 posts

182 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Byker28i said:
I think Cuomo hasn't long left, probably out in the election next year? I can't see him being impeached unless daming evidence emerges, but he's becoming an embarrassment.


Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo spent Tuesday fending off calls for his resignation, with few voluble defenders in a moment of unparalleled weakness in his decade-long tenure in Albany.

Signs of the governor’s diminished sway were everywhere.

A small, but expanding, coterie of Democratic lawmakers called on Mr. Cuomo to step down, as did the state Working Families Party, which has frequently clashed with the governor. among some donors, there was an increasing sense of discomfort with reports of Mr. Cuomo’s behavior and uncertainty around his future, with one active Democratic donor describing a growing instinct to “hedge their bets.”

Representative Lee Zeldin, a Long Island Republican, announced on Tuesday that he was “actively exploring” a run for governor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/nyregion/cuomo-...
More on this. NY lawmakers have reached an informal agreement to strip Gov. Andrew Cuomo of emergency powers granted him at the start of the pandemic, the latest blow to his tenure amid growing calls to resign over dual scandals.

New York legislative leaders announced an agreement Tuesday to curb pandemic-related emergency powers granted to Governor Andrew Cuomo last year, in the latest blow to his tenure amid growing calls for him to resign over dual scandals.

The legislature will likely act on the bill as soon as Friday, Democratic Assemblywoman Carrie Woerner said Tuesday in a Twitter post. The measure would repeal the extraordinary powers they gave Cuomo at the start of the coronavirus pandemic, limiting his directives to those “necessary to reduce the spread or increase vaccinations.” On a broader level, it would require the governor to provide online reporting on all executive orders, increasing transparency, Woerner wrote.

Cuomo, 63, a third-term Democrat, is facing investigations over accusations from three women of inappropriate behavior, and questions over whether his administration purposely concealed data on Covid-19 deaths of nursing-home residents. Several Democratic lawmakers have called on the governor to step down, while others have suggested impeachment.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-02...

HM-2

5,919 posts

134 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat said:
Trump was (quite rightly) criticised for his dismissal of covid and false information (bleach, anyone?). However some also blamed him for the actions, or lack of them, on the ground.

Months on, and despite Biden's rhetoric, States are opening up at an accelerating pace. Meanwhile, democrat States that were used as poster boys are now coming under fire for behaviour that may have caused many unnecessary deaths.

Will those who criticised Trump offer the same criticism of Biden? Or will they accept the POTUS does not have the power to control individual States' response to Covid?
Why do you insist on posting this entirely transparent drivel, which always ends with the same inferred appeal to hypocrisy? Your approach is so absurdly repetitive that it only takes one or two exchanges to make a pretty accurate stab at what your response is going to be composed of even before reading it.

> Point out a thing that Trump was criticised for.
> Cherry-pick some examples of Democrat behaviour that are generally in no way analogous, frequently factually inaccurate, and often bear no relevance to the example they're being compared to.
> Claim that responsibility for these falls directly with the Biden admin, even when it quite obviously doesn't.
> Suggest anyone who doesn't criticise Biden for the aforementioned occurrences is a hypocrite.

You pretend to want to have an honest discourse but your approach suggests anything but. The ability of Biden to influence state policy isn't particularly significant thanks to the way the US political system is architected at its very core. Making oblique references to the state response in New York six to nine months ago when the topic at hand is federal management right now is self-evidently completely irrelevant.

Edited by HM-2 on Wednesday 3rd March 08:13

purplepenguin

1,318 posts

152 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Byker28i said:
RonaldMcDonaldAteMyCat said:
Byker28i said:
What a short memory you have.
As stated last week, I use this thread to discuss current US politics. Showing a continuing trend of corruption with the GOP is easily linked to the struggles that Biden will have as they oppose his policies for their own personal gains.
What you mean is that you use the thread for irrelevant, partisan mudslinging.

By all means link your posts to the performance or otherwise of the subject of the thread. Otherwise you're just trolling, something that others often stand accused of despite posting more relevant information than you.
That's your opinion which you are entitled to even if you are wrong - which you are. However you aren't a mod and to be honest I have little regard your views and opinions after several of the things you have posted, but I'm not surprised you've decided to attack me again. I'll say no more.
He’s not completely wrong though and there is also some partisan moderating on this thread.

It’s quite obvious that you are pro-democrat whilst using this thread to discuss current US politics.

There is nothing wrong with this but it’s disingenuous to claim that you are neutral in your posts.

It’s not an attack on you personally, it’s a statement of fact.

Byker28i

34,197 posts

182 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Sens. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., Sanders, I-Vt., and others unveiled their proposed wealth tax, saying it would raise trillions in much-needed revenue and help reduce a wealth divide that has only grown wider during the pandemic. The tax would be a 2% annual levy on wealth over $50 million and 3% on wealth over $1 billion.

Warren said the tax would only affect the wealthiest 100,000 American families — or the top 0.05% — and would raise about $3 trillion over 10 years. She said the added revenue would go to help pay for child care, education infrastructure and clean energy. It is essentially the same tax that Warren championed during her presidential campaign, when the slogan “Two cents” became a popular rallying cry among those who supported the tax. Warren often argues that since the proposed wealth tax rate would be 2%, “It’s only two cents on every dollar after $50 million.”


To combat evasion, the Ultra-Millionaire tax would provide $100 billion to the Internal Revenue Service for stronger enforcement. It would also include a 30% minimum audit rate for households with $50 million or more in assets, as well as new technology tools to help the IRS value hard-to-appraise assets such as art or real estate. For those who would seek to move to another country and renounce their citizenship to avoid the tax, the proposal also includes a 40% “exit tax” on those who try to leave.

“The implementation part is really a lot easier than it looks,” Warren said. “We learned from some of the mistakes they made in Europe. This version of the wealth tax covers all of your property. It doesn’t matter if it’s held in stock or in real estate or in racehorses. Everything is covered, so there’s no point in moving property around. Also wherever you hold, it is covered, whether you hold it here in the U.S., whether you hold it in the Cayman Islands.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/02/jeff-bezos-would-p...


According to Newsweek, University of California Berkeley professors Emmanuel Saez and Gabriel Zucman found that approximately 100,000 families will be subject to this tax, which is projected to produce $3 trillion in taxpayer dollars over ten years. Both Republicans and Democrats surveyed are in favor of Warren’s bill.

Newsweek reported that the heaviest support for this bill are Republicans in Maine, Arizona, North Carolina, Georgia, and Iowa. More will likely support this act once they realize that growth for the wealthy has far outpaced growth for everyone else. The Institute of Policy Studies shows that billionaire incomes have grown by $1.3 trillion since the start of the pandemic, a 44% increase in approximately 11 months. Indeed, the authors of this study found that in pandemic wealth gain alone, the wealthy could fund two-thirds of President Biden’s $1.9 trillion relief package.


Thoughts? Bezos of course is held up as an example.

According to calculations from the Institute for Policy Studies and Americans for Tax Fairness, Jeff Bezos, the world’s richest person, would owe $5.7 billion in 2020 under the Ultra-Millionaire tax. He still would have been left with a net worth of more than $185 billion after the tax, according to the analysis.

Elon Musk would owe $4.6 billion in 2020 and would still have a fortune of over $148 billion at the end of the year. Bill Gates would have to pay $3.6 billion for 2020, and Mark Zuckerberg would have to pay $3 billion.

HM-2

5,919 posts

134 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
purplepenguin said:
It’s quite obvious that you are pro-democrat.
Assuming this were true, it would only matter if you were intending to hold yourself up as impartial or unbiased, which would be utterly laughable. Frankly, nobody really gives a st if someone as obviously and unequivocally biased as yourself questions the impartiality of another poster.