Why no thread on Phil the Greek?

Why no thread on Phil the Greek?

Author
Discussion

Hub

5,311 posts

162 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
It will be sad if he doesn't make 100.

...mainly because no-one will get to make the hilarious gag about getting a card from the queen.

briefcasebob

37 posts

17 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
tonker said:
Barts isn’t the place for heart treatment, I gather.

You’d go Guys or Brompton.
Bart's does have a cardiac department - used to be The London Chest Hospital but the services moved to Bart's about 5 years ago

Guys doesn't do hearts - that's all been in Tommies for years

Brompton is super-specialised hearts and lungs

briefcasebob

37 posts

17 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Dromedary66 said:
Imagine being another 99 year old with similar conditions, knowing that you're not going to get the same treatment if you take a turn.
We have had several centenarians come through our ITU - the general rule is if we have a good chance of turning things around then we'll give it a go

ClaphamGT3

9,073 posts

207 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Pit Pony said:
sherman said:
I thought I heard he now had heart problems as well as what he initially went in with.
He has been sent to the specialist heart clinic because he is who he is.
If theres still a chance of him surviving they will be trying everything.
Would you want to be the doctor that had prince phillip die on your watch if you hadnt tried a specislist a couple of miles away.
No I'd write him up for DNR, and not bother to tell his relatives to think about saying goodbye...Because they wouldn't be allowed to visit.
Thankfully you’re not a doctor

CharlesdeGaulle

16,209 posts

144 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Pit Pony said:
No I'd write him up for DNR, and not bother to tell his relatives to think about saying goodbye...Because they wouldn't be allowed to visit.
You perhaps think that's wittily acerbic, but saying that does you no favours.

briefcasebob

37 posts

17 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Pit Pony said:
No I'd write him up for DNR, and not bother to tell his relatives to think about saying goodbye...Because they wouldn't be allowed to visit.
DNR is probably reasonable in the circumstances - but DNR does not mean 'give up', it means if cardiac arrest occurs despite best efforts then CPR is not likely to result in a good outcome and should therefore not be inflicted upon the patient. The decision to palliate is separate from a DNR decision, but a DNR decision will always be included in a decision to palliate


In our place, limited numbers of family are allowed to visit if we are at end of life, but they are screened for potential COVID and also counselled on the risk to themselves

CourtAgain

2,926 posts

28 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
valiant said:
Does the private hospital he’s been transferred from have an intensive care unit?

Bart’s obviously does so just wondering if it’s more serious than what’s been reported.
Daily Fail was reporting his transfer to Bart's Hospital. It's for a heart complaint he's had for the past 15 years.

Edited by CourtAgain on Monday 1st March 21:09

williamp

17,579 posts

237 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Pit Pony said:
sherman said:
I thought I heard he now had heart problems as well as what he initially went in with.
He has been sent to the specialist heart clinic because he is who he is.
If theres still a chance of him surviving they will be trying everything.
Would you want to be the doctor that had prince phillip die on your watch if you hadnt tried a specislist a couple of miles away.
No I'd write him up for DNR, and not bother to tell his relatives to think about saying goodbye...Because they wouldn't be allowed to visit.
But you are allowd to visit. End of life is an allowable reason.

Pit Pony

4,195 posts

85 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
You perhaps think that's wittily acerbic, but saying that does you no favours.
Just saying how it is, for anyone else, of a similar age. If a frail 99 year old went in to hospital with heart failure, they would be written up for DNR. Unless they are the DoE.

Pit Pony

4,195 posts

85 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
williamp said:
Pit Pony said:
sherman said:
I thought I heard he now had heart problems as well as what he initially went in with.
He has been sent to the specialist heart clinic because he is who he is.
If theres still a chance of him surviving they will be trying everything.
Would you want to be the doctor that had prince phillip die on your watch if you hadnt tried a specislist a couple of miles away.
No I'd write him up for DNR, and not bother to tell his relatives to think about saying goodbye...Because they wouldn't be allowed to visit.
But you are allowd to visit. End of life is an allowable reason.
Nice to know. Shame they don't actually tell you that, when you have been told it's touch and go..And leave you believing the opposite to be true.

Look, I'm angry. I'm not impressed at the treatment of a loved one, and the attitude of staff. Who may or may not be stressed and overworked, or may just not do the right thing.

briefcasebob

37 posts

17 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Pit Pony said:
Just saying how it is, for anyone else, of a similar age. If a frail 99 year old went in to hospital with heart failure, they would be written up for DNR. Unless they are the DoE.
Again - DNR does NOT mean Do Not Treat. We treat plenty of 100 year olds, up to and including ITU and even (rarely) ventilation. However, CPR in the event of cardiac arrest is unlikely to be successful in those circumstances, hence DNR may be written but treatment will continue

ddom

3,492 posts

12 months

Monday 1st March
quotequote all
Earthdweller said:
Obvious answer is obvious

Harry on prime time slagging his family off as his grandfather dies

I do wonder whether if he passes will the US networks pull the broadcast
rolleyes

Pit Pony

4,195 posts

85 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
briefcasebob said:
Pit Pony said:
Just saying how it is, for anyone else, of a similar age. If a frail 99 year old went in to hospital with heart failure, they would be written up for DNR. Unless they are the DoE.
Again - DNR does NOT mean Do Not Treat. We treat plenty of 100 year olds, up to and including ITU and even (rarely) ventilation. However, CPR in the event of cardiac arrest is unlikely to be successful in those circumstances, hence DNR may be written but treatment will continue
It also shouldn't mean do not give a flying fk. It should still mean give proper nursing care. I suspect that the DoE won't be sitting in his own piss getting bed sores ?

Do I come across as angry?

My 18 year old self has come back from 1985, to remind me of my views on the monarchy.

I'm sure it's great that he's getting the best care that anyone can get, but a shame that not every old person can get the same.


ClaphamGT3

9,073 posts

207 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Pit Pony said:
briefcasebob said:
Pit Pony said:
Just saying how it is, for anyone else, of a similar age. If a frail 99 year old went in to hospital with heart failure, they would be written up for DNR. Unless they are the DoE.
Again - DNR does NOT mean Do Not Treat. We treat plenty of 100 year olds, up to and including ITU and even (rarely) ventilation. However, CPR in the event of cardiac arrest is unlikely to be successful in those circumstances, hence DNR may be written but treatment will continue
It also shouldn't mean do not give a flying fk. It should still mean give proper nursing care. I suspect that the DoE won't be sitting in his own piss getting bed sores ?

Do I come across as angry?

My 18 year old self has come back from 1985, to remind me of my views on the monarchy.

I'm sure it's great that he's getting the best care that anyone can get, but a shame that not every old person can get the same.
I'm genuinely sorry that one of your relatives has had a bad experience - we would all want everyone to receive the best care available; even if that is the best end of life care.

Do you not see though that your attitude that, just because your relative didn't get that level of care, nobody should marks you out as an epic st?

Fundoreen

2,208 posts

47 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Are they different from the rest of us? You would think his missus would be at his bedside or attending daily with some hard boiled eggs and nuts.

21st Century Man

35,315 posts

212 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Fundoreen said:
You would think his missus would be at his bedside or attending daily with some hard boiled eggs and nuts.
I don't think they'd let all the family in at once?

CourtAgain

2,926 posts

28 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Fundoreen said:
Are they different from the rest of us? You would think his missus would be at his bedside or attending daily with some hard boiled eggs and nuts.
Talking of nuts,

Phil in happier times at the Highland Games getmecoat

ali_kat

31,734 posts

185 months

Tuesday 2nd March
quotequote all
Pit Pony said:
Just saying how it is, for anyone else, of a similar age. If a frail 99 year old went in to hospital with heart failure, they would be written up for DNR. Unless they are the DoE.
Do you actually know what DNR is?

crofty1984

15,087 posts

168 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
Pit Pony said:
My 18 year old self has come back from 1985, to remind me of my views on the monarchy.
Yes, that's coming across, dear.

Skyrocket21

144 posts

6 months

Wednesday 3rd March
quotequote all
He has a pre-existing heart condition, this infection has put a strain on his heart, so they moved him to a heart specialist hosptial "St Bartholomew's to do some tests whilst he also recovers from the infection.

The sentiment running through this thread is similar to that of Sir Captain Tom. Love him or loathe him Prince Philip deserves some respect he fought in these campaigns during WWll,Battle of Crete, Battle of Cape Matapan, Allied invasion of Sicily, Operation Dragoon, Operation Robson, Operation Lentil, Battle of Okinawa.

Then gave up his whole military career to become the Queen's consort for nearly 70 years. Started the Duke of Edinburgh award which has helped 100'000's of younger people. He maybe a fossil and has some questionable gaffs and opinons but nobody can question his service to this country, so he deserves some respect.