PistonHeads.com Forum

Libya.

Author
Discussion

BlackLabel

8,071 posts

44 months

Wednesday 3rd February 2016
quotequote all
andy_s said:
Watch Libya as Syria gets squeezed...
yes

A depressing piece about Libya on Newsnight tonight.

ISIS fighters are flooding in from Syria and Iraq.

It looks like the country was infinitely better off under Gaddafi.

Pesty

37,485 posts

177 months

Wednesday 3rd February 2016
quotequote all
Then into Tunisia?

Mr_B

9,662 posts

164 months

Wednesday 3rd February 2016
quotequote all
ISIS in Libya can'tr be all bad. Look at their day trips for getting the disabled out and out in the community.


BlackLabel

8,071 posts

44 months

Thursday 4th February 2016
quotequote all
Socks and sandles - the guy is clearly a Lib Dem.



Mr_B said:
ISIS in Libya can'tr be all bad. Look at their day trips for getting the disabled out and out in the community.

BlackLabel

8,071 posts

44 months

Advertisement

DMN

2,070 posts

60 months

Friday 11th March 2016
quotequote all
He's not wrong though is he?

V8 Fettler

5,208 posts

53 months

Friday 11th March 2016
quotequote all
There is a theme: lack of clear long term political objectives and military involvement = long term failure, eg:
Vietnam
Afghanistan
Iraq
Libya

Clear long term objectives and military involvement = long term success e.g. Western Europe 1945 onwards.

Esseesse

8,280 posts

129 months

Friday 11th March 2016
quotequote all
BlackLabel said:
It looks like the country was infinitely better off under Gaddafi.
Was this not obviously going to be the case before Gaddafi was removed?

Esseesse

8,280 posts

129 months

Friday 11th March 2016
quotequote all
DMN said:
He's not wrong though is he?
He's not wrong, however pot, kettle.

andy_s

11,597 posts

180 months

Friday 11th March 2016
quotequote all
This year may prove interesting, refugee camps being set up, huge border walls erected, massive mil deployment on borders, incursions into Tunisia, displaced IS, foreign training teams on the ground. Yup, should be good.

The Don of Croy

4,303 posts

80 months

Tuesday 19th April 2016
quotequote all
I think I detected a note of irony in last night's TV news coverage of the VIP visits to Tripoli, to welcome the new regime (or government number three).

They said the visit to a secure military base was heavily guarded, and that the regime had total control of the area within the base.

It's just that the other two governments currently also claiming control do not necessarily comply.

And ISIS running a large area also.

I'd not want to try and sort it out.

MrBrightSi

2,656 posts

91 months

Tuesday 19th April 2016
quotequote all
V8 Fettler said:
There is a theme: lack of clear long term political objectives and military involvement = long term failure, eg:
Vietnam
Thought about it hard enough to make up the gulf of tonkin

Oakey

21,852 posts

137 months

Thursday 18th May
quotequote all
Telegraph said:
The prime suspect in the murder of police officer Yvonne Fletcher was given a letter from Tony Blair’s government reassuring him he was not wanted over the killing, his lawyer has told the Telegraph.

Saleh Ibrahim Mabrouk was informed he was not a suspect as long ago as 2002 at a time when Britain was forging close relations with Muammar Gaddafi’s regime.
However, a 192-page review of the police evidence seen by the Telegraph repeatedly identifies Mabrouk as one of the suspected ringleaders of a “pre-arranged plan to cause death”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/17/yvonne-...

sugerbear

1,314 posts

79 months

Thursday 18th May
quotequote all
Oakey said:
Telegraph said:
The prime suspect in the murder of police officer Yvonne Fletcher was given a letter from Tony Blair’s government reassuring him he was not wanted over the killing, his lawyer has told the Telegraph.

Saleh Ibrahim Mabrouk was informed he was not a suspect as long ago as 2002 at a time when Britain was forging close relations with Muammar Gaddafi’s regime.
However, a 192-page review of the police evidence seen by the Telegraph repeatedly identifies Mabrouk as one of the suspected ringleaders of a “pre-arranged plan to cause death”.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/17/yvonne-...
Maybe in the hope that he would travel and could then be bought to justice. He could waive that letter in court all day but he could still be prosecuted for the killing.

Oakey

21,852 posts

137 months

Thursday 18th May
quotequote all
sugerbear said:
Maybe in the hope that he would travel and could then be bought to justice. He could waive that letter in court all day but he could still be prosecuted for the killing.
In the hope he'd travel where?

"Saleh Ibrahim Mabrouk was informed he was not a suspect as long ago as 2002"

"In 2000 he was allowed back into the UK a year after Mr Blair had restored diplomatic relations with Libya."

He's apparently been living in Berkshire since then.

"Mabrouk, who lives in Berkshire, was finally arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder in 2015 but the prosecution was blocked on Tuesday on grounds of “national security”."

Murph7355

17,474 posts

177 months

Thursday 18th May
quotequote all
sugerbear said:
Maybe in the hope that he would travel and could then be bought to justice. He could waive that letter in court all day but he could still be prosecuted for the killing.
Unless waving the letter made very senior people in our government look bad.

Why we worry about people who were in govt 20yrs ago I'm not sure...

Something not right here though....I would bet a very, very indirect link to actual "national security"

dudleybloke

13,552 posts

107 months

Thursday 18th May
quotequote all
Indeed, for some time now the phrase "national security" has been a euphemism for "could embarrass a politician".