Mum's home, not to give it to equity release or a care home.

Mum's home, not to give it to equity release or a care home.

Author
Discussion

oyster

9,003 posts

189 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
WinstonWolf said:
Oakey said:
Here's a novel idea, instead of accruing masses of wealth to leave to the 'kids' when they die (who, by the way, are most likely to be nearing pensionable age themselves by this point) and worrying constantly they're going to lose it all to the state to pay for their care, perhaps more people could actually help their kids and grandkids when it actually matters earlier in life? You know, instead of letting them struggle trying to scrape together deposits for a mortgage on a house that keeps increasing in price every time they get that bit closer to saving their 10% / 15% / 20% or whatever.

All these people who talk about not wanting their kids to struggle like they did yet their solution to this is to leave them a pot of cash at a stage in life that it most likely matters the least. It's bonkers.
So sell your house and move into rented accommodation? Genius!
Not at all.

I’m in my 40s and I’m already dripping money to my children.

wisbech

872 posts

62 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Oakey said:
It's a pretty bold statement to say that people with dementia will die if left alone for even a short period of time. That old nonce across the road from me that has dementia is left alone regularly and he hasn't died (unfortunately).
My Dad lost inhibitions. My mum could park him in front of Pornhub for hours at a time without worrying he would die or wander off

His search terms at times shocked me, but she was cool with it. He had spent time in Africa as a young single man, and it had obviously left a lasting impression on his fantasies...

The positive benefits of online porn!

He did start wandering off towards the end, but a benefit of village living was that he was easy to find, and others knew who he was

knk

751 posts

212 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
If my father had lived long enough to need long term care there is nothing I would rather he spent his money on than that.

If I live long enough and become dependant, spending my savings or selling a house I am no longer living in for high quality care to provide me with some dignity and quality of life will be my priority.

I hope my dependants feel the same way, and will be understanding and grateful for an inheritance of anything left, rather than wishing I had existed on state funded care at the minimal level so as to preserve my assets for their inheritance.

markcoznottz

4,944 posts

165 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Schmed said:
Problem is there is a double standard. People who have worked hard and bought their houses are being stripped of their assets through no fault of their own except needing care in old age. Do fk all and rent your entire life and these insanely expensive fees are all paid for you by the state.

Levelling the playing field and being creative by protecting your assets is just common sense in my view. Most rational people minimise taxes, this is exactly the same, look after your family first and foremost, because the states tentacles are insidious.
Agreed. Or live in Scotland. Care is just one more excuse to tax people who have paid more tax than any group in living history, plus ni. The care angle is just a way in for people like integroo to try and knock people down a peg, i.e. He sees it as an injustice that he has to rent and pay extortionate letting fees while his old man swans about in an mx5. Never mind that money represents someone's whole life's graft, it didn't just fall out of the sky.

Integroo

4,390 posts

26 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
markcoznottz said:
Agreed. Or live in Scotland. Care is just one more excuse to tax people who have paid more tax than any group in living history, plus ni. The care angle is just a way in for people like integroo to try and knock people down a peg, i.e. He sees it as an injustice that he has to rent and pay extortionate letting fees while his old man swans about in an mx5. Never mind that money represents someone's whole life's graft, it didn't just fall out of the sky.
Mate, you muppet, why do you think paying for your own care is a tax?

Oh, and your accusations are ridiculous and patently nonsense.
Advertisement

WinstonWolf

71,154 posts

180 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Integroo said:
Oakey said:
It's a pretty bold statement to say that people with dementia will die if left alone for even a short period of time. That old nonce across the road from me that has dementia is left alone regularly and he hasn't died (unfortunately).
It's not bold, it is just wrong.
And once again you show your ignorance of the disease. In the early stages people are generally fine to live at home but in the later stages I'm afraid it gets a bit One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Sufferers will eventually become a danger to those around them, it's not just the person, it's the sheer unpredictability of their actions.

wisbech

872 posts

62 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
markcoznottz said:
Agreed. Or live in Scotland. Care is just one more excuse to tax people who have paid more tax than any group in living history, plus ni. The care angle is just a way in for people like integroo to try and knock people down a peg, i.e. He sees it as an injustice that he has to rent and pay extortionate letting fees while his old man swans about in an mx5. Never mind that money represents someone's whole life's graft, it didn't just fall out of the sky.
Won’t care actually reduce tax, as less IHT?

Integroo

4,390 posts

26 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
WinstonWolf said:
And once again you show your ignorance of the disease. In the early stages people are generally fine to live at home but in the later stages I'm afraid it gets a bit One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Sufferers will eventually become a danger to those around them, it's not just the person, it's the sheer unpredictability of their actions.
I never once said that people with the most severe dementia do not need full time care. Your statement that someone with dementia will die if left alone for a short period of time is patently wrong.

WinstonWolf

71,154 posts

180 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Integroo said:
WinstonWolf said:
And once again you show your ignorance of the disease. In the early stages people are generally fine to live at home but in the later stages I'm afraid it gets a bit One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Sufferers will eventually become a danger to those around them, it's not just the person, it's the sheer unpredictability of their actions.
I never once said that people with the most severe dementia do not need full time care. Your statement that someone with dementia will die if left alone for a short period of time is patently wrong.
My mistake was crediting the reader with some intelligence.

Integroo

4,390 posts

26 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
WinstonWolf said:
My mistake was crediting the reader with some intelligence.
No your mistake was typing absolute nonsense.

WinstonWolf

71,154 posts

180 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Integroo said:
WinstonWolf said:
My mistake was crediting the reader with some intelligence.
No your mistake was typing absolute nonsense.
What is painfully apparent is you've never been in a home where patients have full blown dementia. I should probably have added the caveat "by the time they're ready for full time care" for the pedantic amongst us rolleyes

Integroo

4,390 posts

26 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
WinstonWolf said:
What is painfully apparent is you've never been in a home where patients have full blown dementia. I should probably have added the caveat "by the time they're ready for full time care" for the pedantic amongst us rolleyes
Yes I have, many times.

WinstonWolf

71,154 posts

180 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Integroo said:
WinstonWolf said:
What is painfully apparent is you've never been in a home where patients have full blown dementia. I should probably have added the caveat "by the time they're ready for full time care" for the pedantic amongst us rolleyes
Yes I have, many times.
Then you'll know they would die or cause harm to those around them if they weren't in there.

Integroo

4,390 posts

26 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
WinstonWolf said:
Then you'll know they would die or cause harm to those around them if they weren't in there.
I am not shocked you have 70 odd thousand posts. I won't be responding to you anymore.

WinstonWolf

71,154 posts

180 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Integroo said:
WinstonWolf said:
Then you'll know they would die or cause harm to those around them if they weren't in there.
I am not shocked you have 70 odd thousand posts. I won't be responding to you anymore.
That's fine with me, perhaps we can get back on topic and give the OP the advice they asked for now.

selmahoose

3,627 posts

52 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
Dementia care should obviously be included in NHS services. But there probably isn't enough NHS funding to pay for it.

But don't worry, according to our next prime minister after Brexit there's an extra £350,000,000 a week to spend on NHS services.

That should cover it!

markcoznottz

4,944 posts

165 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
WinstonWolf said:
Integroo said:
WinstonWolf said:
Then you'll know they would die or cause harm to those around them if they weren't in there.
I am not shocked you have 70 odd thousand posts. I won't be responding to you anymore.
That's fine with me, perhaps we can get back on topic and give the OP the advice they asked for now.
Another nickgnome or countdown, you will never ever get an agreement or respect from him, he HAS to be right, because he thinks he has the higher moral ground.

WinstonWolf

71,154 posts

180 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
markcoznottz said:
WinstonWolf said:
Integroo said:
WinstonWolf said:
Then you'll know they would die or cause harm to those around them if they weren't in there.
I am not shocked you have 70 odd thousand posts. I won't be responding to you anymore.
That's fine with me, perhaps we can get back on topic and give the OP the advice they asked for now.
Another nickgnome or countdown, you will never ever get an agreement or respect from him, he HAS to be right, because he thinks he has the higher moral ground.
Hopefully the OP will get the advice they asked for now. I notice in another thread someone's care cost is coming in at £200K per annum. People simply can't fund that, it's why we have the NHS.

Integroo

4,390 posts

26 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
markcoznottz said:
Another nickgnome or countdown, you will never ever get an agreement or respect from him, he HAS to be right, because he thinks he has the higher moral ground.
The hypocrisy is startling. You will never agree with me, and you are the one who chucks around slurs like marxist and commie rather than defending your intellectually confused position.

Countdown

22,978 posts

137 months

Wednesday 15th May
quotequote all
markcoznottz said:
WinstonWolf said:
Integroo said:
WinstonWolf said:
Then you'll know they would die or cause harm to those around them if they weren't in there.
I am not shocked you have 70 odd thousand posts. I won't be responding to you anymore.
That's fine with me, perhaps we can get back on topic and give the OP the advice they asked for now.
Another nickgnome or countdown, you will never ever get an agreement or respect from him, he HAS to be right, because he thinks he has the higher moral ground.
To be fair, it's hard to agree with someone who's talking rubbish.

Your posts must have been the first time in PH history where somebody suggesting that people pay for their own care (rather than the taxpayer/State/everybody else) is considered a Communist/Marxist.

I think it's immoral to sponge off the State. YMMV
"