Neighbour wanting a front extension, not pleased.

Neighbour wanting a front extension, not pleased.

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah

Original Poster:

5,939 posts

41 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
Some very useful points raised, thanks. A few answers and points. Firstly, to reiterate, he's looking at the extension being UPVC. I'm fairly sure the 'line' between the houses is what he says it as (circa 6 inches to the right of our door) as other houses of the same design in the village who have had new roofs, but their neighbours haven't end at this line.

Why does our door float? Can't say I ever noticed. That height is floor level inside.

B17NNS

18,225 posts

188 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
Flibble said:
However a 2m x full width would definitely be over 3 metres square.
Yes, he's over both on size and proximity to the highway I'd imagine so definitely a planning matter.

I'd certainly make the neighbour aware of that and tell him I'd object to the current proposal.

With a view to maintaining good neighbourly relations perhaps suggest a scheme what you would be happy with.

Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah

Original Poster:

5,939 posts

41 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
B17NNS said:
He's clearly not concerned about aesthetics judging by the hoofing great concrete lintel he's put above his new door (leaving the old one in place too).

It's going to look st and spoil your house.

Hope you manage to stop this without it damaging your relationship with him. You're between a rock and a hard place frown
The owner before him developed it. REALLY badly. I gather it was a bare shell restoration. The front is a mess yes, it was butchered. The bottom left window was a downstairs bathroom, but is now just an unusable space you walk in to.

Squiggs

1,496 posts

96 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
Suggest to him that he refers to the planning portal - adding (with a helpful neighbourly smile)
"Maybe you should check if you can extend full width at the front of a property without planning permission. If you can't, then getting permission might be difficult because I think some of the land is deemed to be communal. I'd hate you to be wasting money on materials for a project that can't go ahead"

You plant the seed - he checks - realises he can't extend - thanks you for helping him - neighbourly relations maintained - problem sorted!

irocfan

19,051 posts

131 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
out of curiosity could you argue that with such an extension so close to your house it could cause some sort of impediement to non able-bodied people being able to access your house?
Advertisement

Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah

Original Poster:

5,939 posts

41 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
irocfan said:
out of curiosity could you argue that with such an extension so close to your house it could cause some sort of impediement to non able-bodied people being able to access your house?
And I do have a brother with Cerebral Palsy (truth) even if he's never here!

Truth be known, none of us treat the area as communal, we all treat each bit of land in front of our houses as our own yards. It more a case of be damned if he thinks he's going to build up to 6 inches from our front door without the slightest of consideration to us, and that it shall make our house look st! Our plan is also to make a side alley gate access point, it may be wise to put that on hold, it's actually been the next job on the list.

I've said to Sarah a number of time since last night, what got to me. I approached with where we could put a fence, between him and us, as per the above, putting in a side gate. You can just see on the nearer photo that we cut the concrete out the front making a line between 'his' yard and 'ours' below the pipe. I asked if he was OK with the fence post going buffed up to that concrete, and his response was 'no, my extension is going up to here, as that's my boundary line'. It's the bloody arrogance of it. How can he really think we'd be OK with an extension going to within 6" of our front door!!

irememberyou

202 posts

17 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
He would need planning permission.

It is not permitted development.

He wouldn't get planning permission.

But if he just builds it and nobody tells the Planning Dept he will get away with it until someone raise the issue.

Focus on this.

Don't focus on how close to your house number he wants to build or whether the land is communal.

If you don't want him to know it's you tipping off the Planning Dept, you'll have to wait until he starts... then it could be any interested party notifying them - otherwise raise it beforehand... but it does sound as though you don't really get on that well anyway, already.


Your Dad

1,418 posts

124 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
Which council do you fall under, is it BDC? I'm registered on their planning portal already as I've objected to a few things. biggrin

Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah

Original Poster:

5,939 posts

41 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
Bassetlaw. You local to recognise the house?

mk1fan

9,443 posts

166 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
If the boundary line is 6-inches from your door then, bluntly, tough. They have the same rights as you with regards to their property.

Your Dad

1,418 posts

124 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah said:
Bassetlaw. You local to recognise the house?
Know the location from your previous posts, I'm just over the border towards the west.


desolate

17,690 posts

169 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
mk1fan said:
If the boundary line is 6-inches from your door then, bluntly, tough. They have the same rights as you with regards to their property.
If the OP is correct, they have no right to build on this part of their property at all

Gavia

7,627 posts

32 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
FiF said:
Where is the permitted building line? Should show it on the papers when you bought the place. Any extension must NOT go beyond that line.

Also page 1 para 3
https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguid...


Does he fall foul of point 2 as well? You mention a big shed type building in his back garden that needs to be included on the max 50% increase in square footage from original house.

Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah

Original Poster:

5,939 posts

41 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
desolate said:
mk1fan said:
If the boundary line is 6-inches from your door then, bluntly, tough. They have the same rights as you with regards to their property.
If the OP is correct, they have no right to build on this part of their property at all
It is appearing so. Had he not took the piss and kept it within a sensible distance he'd have not rattled us. OK, we weren't chuffed with it, but 'his house' was our view. As far as we're concerned now he's adamant that he's extending to within 6" of our door - no discussion - we just need the tools to say 'no you're not', IF polite discussion doesn't work.

irememberyou

202 posts

17 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
There will also be a Party Wall Act issue to consider:

https://www.oakconservatories.co.uk/conservatory-p...

Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah

Original Poster:

5,939 posts

41 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
Gavia said:
FiF said:
Where is the permitted building line? Should show it on the papers when you bought the place. Any extension must NOT go beyond that line.

Also page 1 para 3
https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguid...


Does he fall foul of point 2 as well? You mention a big shed type building in his back garden that needs to be included on the max 50% increase in square footage from original house.
It shall be close. This is his house ad when he bought it. Pic 8 shows what was his back garden, an now there is a wooden workshop which starts about a metre from the back gate, and continues down to the end of the first red fence panel on the right. I think the fact that there is a 2 metre extension (IE not featured on the 1948 rule) which he didn't build will swing it in his favour. IF he went full on prick mode it is far taller than allowed, no doubt about this.

mk1fan

9,443 posts

166 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
desolate said:
mk1fan said:
If the boundary line is 6-inches from your door then, bluntly, tough. They have the same rights as you with regards to their property.
If the OP is correct, they have no right to build on this part of their property at all
Feel free to expand on that. Ignoring the communal status of the front yard that may or may not effect it. I'm curious to know where it is prescribed that an owner is prevented from building up to the boundary. It is the OP who said the boundary is within 6-inches of their door so they clearly think there is a boundary of some sort there. I have assumed that they mean a dividing boundary running perpendicular to the front elevation.

irememberyou

202 posts

17 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah said:
It shall be close. This is his house ad when he bought it. Pic 8 shows what was his back garden, an now there is a wooden workshop which starts about a metre from the back gate, and continues down to the end of the first red fence panel on the right. I think the fact that there is a 2 metre extension (IE not featured on the 1948 rule) which he didn't build will swing it in his favour. IF he went full on prick mode it is far taller than allowed, no doubt about this.
Have you omitted a link there or have I misunderstood?

Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah

Original Poster:

5,939 posts

41 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
irememberyou said:
Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah said:
It shall be close. This is his house ad when he bought it. Pic 8 shows what was his back garden, an now there is a wooden workshop which starts about a metre from the back gate, and continues down to the end of the first red fence panel on the right. I think the fact that there is a 2 metre extension (IE not featured on the 1948 rule) which he didn't build will swing it in his favour. IF he went full on prick mode it is far taller than allowed, no doubt about this.
Have you omitted a link there or have I misunderstood?
I did, yes!

here - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatc...

Fermit The Krog and Sexy Sarah

Original Poster:

5,939 posts

41 months

Tuesday 27th March 2018
quotequote all
mk1fan said:
desolate said:
mk1fan said:
If the boundary line is 6-inches from your door then, bluntly, tough. They have the same rights as you with regards to their property.
If the OP is correct, they have no right to build on this part of their property at all
Feel free to expand on that. Ignoring the communal status of the front yard that may or may not effect it. I'm curious to know where it is prescribed that an owner is prevented from building up to the boundary. It is the OP who said the boundary is within 6-inches of their door so they clearly think there is a boundary of some sort there. I have assumed that they mean a dividing boundary running perpendicular to the front elevation.
It is on our deeds as communal space. The consensus seems to be that this makes a difference, and he needs to consult us. Many also think planning is required. We think the very close proximity will be to our detriment, and that he's being selfish wanting to extend so close. If we have the tools to stop it, if sensible discussion doesn't work, then we'll use it. There is a physical boundary of where his house ends and ours begins, which I suspect he is correct at where it lies. This doesn't necessarily mean he can put a plastic monstrosity right up to it.

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
"