Garage heating

Author
Discussion

SimboRS

Original Poster:

202 posts

46 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Winter time again peeps, what kind of garage heating have people got,
Central heating isn’t an option as the garage is detached.
Are oil filled ones decent, looking for an all rounder, something that will heat up fairly quickly when I go in but also something reasonably safe to leave on during the night when I’m not there.
What’s the options?

Freakuk

1,349 posts

99 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Can you get a WiFi signal in there?

I recently went through a similar thing, ended up buying full electric radiator with Wifi, this gives me an app on my phone where I can set min and max temps, schedules, and if I'm going to be the garage I can pre-warm if required. The app also shows you what your power consumption and room temperatures are daily, monthly, annually if that's of interest.

I bought two, one for the garage and one for the adjoining office, you need a WiFi module also, so I control the two via the app independently. Not cheap mind you given the room sizes and the need for a WiFi module.

Have a look here - https://www.electricradiatorsdirect.co.uk/ which is where I got mine from, and there's a room wattage calculator on there also.

Spare tyre

4,382 posts

78 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Or something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inkbird-Temperature-Contr...

No idea how safe they are etc

SimboRS

Original Poster:

202 posts

46 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Freakuk said:
Can you get a WiFi signal in there?

I recently went through a similar thing, ended up buying full electric radiator with Wifi, this gives me an app on my phone where I can set min and max temps, schedules, and if I'm going to be the garage I can pre-warm if required. The app also shows you what your power consumption and room temperatures are daily, monthly, annually if that's of interest.

I bought two, one for the garage and one for the adjoining office, you need a WiFi module also, so I control the two via the app independently. Not cheap mind you given the room sizes and the need for a WiFi module.

Have a look here - https://www.electricradiatorsdirect.co.uk/ which is where I got mine from, and there's a room wattage calculator on there also.


Yeah I can get wifi, Iv got an Ethernet cable in there aswell.
Those look pretty nice mate but they are pricey.
Thanks

Leggy

885 posts

170 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
How about cheaper standard Dimplex ones and get a timer?
I’ve seen some Wi-fi enabled remote switches which might be handy. Not used one myself as just use normal timers.

thebraketester

8,348 posts

86 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Split ac? Will do heating cooling and dehumidifying in one unit. Not cheap though, but fairly efficient.

sealtt

2,515 posts

106 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
I have a home office which is a detached garden room, installed an AC and it keeps the place very cool in summer and very warm in winter.

illmonkey

12,257 posts

146 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Leggy said:
How about cheaper standard Dimplex ones and get a timer?
I’ve seen some Wi-fi enabled remote switches which might be handy. Not used one myself as just use normal timers.
Or leave it on constant and get a WiFi plug to control power. Set a timer or override when you are going in.

Aluminati

512 posts

6 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
How well insulated is the garage ?

snowandrocks

297 posts

90 months

Wednesday 13th November
quotequote all
Is there a reason for heating it overnight?

Planning on sticking an old woodburner in mine when I get a chance - should belt out the heat and also draws plenty of air through to air the place.

scgwhite

31 posts

44 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
For a cheaper version of the fancy wifi rads above, plug a cheap wifi socket into the wall. Plug a thermostatic switch into that, and set it to your desired temperature. Plug a cheap electric rad into that. You can remotely switch / set schedules / check power consumption with the wifi socket. The thermostat will keep the temperature moderated.

Should be able to set this up for well under £100.

Superleg48

757 posts

81 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
I have a detached double garage. I have considered puttting up some Celotex sheets on the walls, putting some chipboard across the rafters and celotex sheets, in a rudimentary fashion just to assist insulation and finally popping a split A/C in there. All could be done relatively cheaply, probably less than 5k without too much trying.

My concern is that by then creating a nice warming space that it will attract a wide range of rodentry looking for shelter in the cold winter months, who would then take somewhat of a penchant to nibbling the electrical cables in my cars thus destroying them. It is a dichotomy.

The buggers will get in especially as we are rural and there are fields all around us. I guess I could also buy a cat and have that live in the garage....

NorthDave

1,672 posts

180 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
scgwhite said:
For a cheaper version of the fancy wifi rads above, plug a cheap wifi socket into the wall. Plug a thermostatic switch into that, and set it to your desired temperature. Plug a cheap electric rad into that. You can remotely switch / set schedules / check power consumption with the wifi socket. The thermostat will keep the temperature moderated.

Should be able to set this up for well under £100.
I'd be very careful of your loadings if you go this route. That reads like a huge fire risk to me!

bucksmanuk

1,362 posts

118 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
I have a timber workshop, and I thought about this heating lark, and bought a small oil filled radiator to “take the chill off”. I never once switched it on. Once I had my overalls on, and I was busy, I was sorted. If it was cold <5 °C I would have my thermals on. I have a little £30 oven in there for quick drying of painted parts and drying out welding rods. Get a brew and warm up a pasty in it, and the smell takes away some of the cold! It would have to be below freezing for me to need any extra heat. If it was colder than that – I don’t bother going in the workshop. The problem is in summer, it was 43 °C on some days this year…
As for mice- we don't have a problem locally – that I’m aware of - as so many local cats saunter through the garden.
I had a large tin of paint thinners develop a pinhole in its base through corrosion, and all of it leaked out. The aroma was over powering. Now I’m sensitive (maybe incorrectly) to electrical hardware switching itself on in an atmosphere like that.

robwilk

365 posts

128 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-Air-Heater-Plana...

Ive been thinking of one of these mounted outside piping the hot air in , any drawbacks / thoughts?

Peanut Gallery

1,571 posts

58 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
I have an attached garage, was freezing, I now have 100mm celotax around the walls and under the ceiling. Plinth heater is to be plumbed in when I get a chance, as well as a small air handling unit to help dry a snow covered car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smiths-Hydronic-Plinth-He...

https://www.ducting-online.co.uk/Mobile/swiftair-c...

RogerDodger

1,618 posts

42 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
I have a halogen heater in my workshop and garage:

https://www.therange.co.uk/diy/heating/oscillating...

I also have a 2000w ceramic wall heater installed in my workshop. It takes so long to have any effect that I almost exclusively use the halogen heater unless I'm in their all day working.

The great thing about the halogen heater is it is instant, and localised - i.e. point it at yourself and you can instantly feel it - even in the low 400w mode. I just chuck it on a bench / floor / wherever I'm working and it keeps me nice and toasty.

This is in an uninsulated, double brick garage with cementboard roof and one layer of celotext under the roof, then plywood. Attached workshop the size of half a single garage, low roof - that where the wall heater is.

SimboRS

Original Poster:

202 posts

46 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
Aluminati said:
How well insulated is the garage ?
Not great, it has single 100mm block walls, plasterboard ceiling with 200mm of the old style itchy fibreglass insulation.

SimboRS

Original Poster:

202 posts

46 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
thebraketester said:
Split ac? Will do heating cooling and dehumidifying in one unit. Not cheap though, but fairly efficient.
I have looked at this but it’s way out my price range unfortunately

SimboRS

Original Poster:

202 posts

46 months

Thursday 14th November
quotequote all
snowandrocks said:
Is there a reason for heating it overnight?

Planning on sticking an old woodburner in mine when I get a chance - should belt out the heat and also draws plenty of air through to air the place.
Not really, I just want to try and avoid mould and condensation etc.
But I’d like the place to have a wee heat in it when I go in to work there.