Bodges youโ€™ve seen.

Bodges youโ€™ve seen.

Author
Discussion

Drawweight

Original Poster:

1,723 posts

83 months

Monday 4th May 2020
quotequote all

When we moved into our High Street flat we expected a bit of work. After all it had been rented out for donkeys years.

However it was even worse than we thought.

The entire row of kitchen wall units crashed to the floor in the middle of the night. The backs however were still screwed to the wall.

One of the sockets in the hall was wired up to the ceiling light with obviously no earth.

The drain from the bath was fixed to the original lead pipe with mastic and it didn’t have any fall either. Eventually it silted up burst the joint and flooded the flat underneath.

We had a ‘speed hump’ in the hall where an internal wall had been removed and they hadn’t taken it far enough down.

And that’s only a few we found. I bet others have found worse .

sociopath

1,712 posts

33 months

Monday 4th May 2020
quotequote all
20 years ago we were doing up the kitchen in our London house and removed a unit that had been built into the old chimney breast, ready to put a range cooker in the space.

We found that the whole breast and chimney stack all the way up was being held up by a couple of pieces of 2x2 and the plaster had been sellotaped back on.

Quick emergency job to put in a concrete lintel before the whole thing came down.

ETA
In our current cottage in North Wales we have a (fairly modern) fused switch. It's active in that it had power and it works but we have no idea what it controls, and turning it on or off doesn't seem to do anything


Edited by sociopath on Monday 4th May 22:45

hotchy

3,024 posts

93 months

Monday 4th May 2020
quotequote all
My laminate flooring was nailed down where it was separating lol that was about it.

vaud

41,170 posts

122 months

Monday 4th May 2020
quotequote all
Brother in law's house bought from a family who had it for 3 generations.

Came to take up the somewhat flexible laminate floor.

Laminate floor
Carpet
Laminate floor
Carpet
Carpet

Some 2 inches lost to progressive laying of flooring. New doors also needed as they had all been trimmed to match the layers...

James-06gep

209 posts

45 months

Monday 4th May 2020
quotequote all
Repossession so I had some good ones.

Lethal RCD:


Skirting over skirting:


Expert joinery:


There were plenty more laugh

Johnnytheboy

22,675 posts

153 months

Monday 4th May 2020
quotequote all
I had three fairly fundamental plumbing failures in a month when I moved in.

My favourite was in the bathroom, clearly done up cheaply for the sale.

First time I ran a bath deep enough to pour water down the overflow when I got in, it turned out the pipe wasn't attached to the back so water poured through the kitchen ceiling, narrowly missing my OH preparing dinner below.

Ashtray83

439 posts

135 months

Monday 4th May 2020
quotequote all
Have a few to hand sadly all “pro tradesmen” This was a blinder
And This plastering
[url]
|https://thumbsnap.com/6ZChrwf8[/url]
Also a nice new gate and post instal
[url |https://thumbsnap.com/kY4TYF1X[/url]

Edited by Ashtray83 on Monday 4th May 23:23

PrinceRupert

10,444 posts

52 months

Monday 4th May 2020
quotequote all
We are finding endless bodges in our new house.

Favourite might be the extension with no electrics - the wall lights are wired by a cable plastered into the wall and plugged into an extension cable. Another extension cable was daisy chained through this hole in the wall.



Built in wardrobes he was proud of having built himself. We didnt open them when viewing. We had expected white shelves not a crumbling old hearth thirty year old wallpaper and roughly cut plywood.


|https://thumbsnap.com/Tnyu4saw[/url]



The flooring in all rooms looks like it was cut and fitted by someone with no thumbs. No rooms have thresholds fitted. Some rooms have wooden edges fitted...half are upside down, some are not attached.

Some of the kitchen units aren't attached to the walls.

The bathroom tap is so close to the edge of the sink you cannot get your hands under it without rubbing them against the ceramic.

I have yet to work out what this is (removable piece of wood under back door).



The kitchen has a wood ceiling fitted...badly. Falling off in places and has random chunks cut out of it. Who knows what horrors it is hiding.


This.

[url]

Kitchen draws that appear to be put together by expanding foam.

|https://thumbsnap.com/3JW6yDDj[/url]

And the list goes on and on ...

PrinceRupert

10,444 posts

52 months

Monday 4th May 2020
quotequote all
vaud said:
Brother in law's house bought from a family who had it for 3 generations.

Came to take up the somewhat flexible laminate floor.

Laminate floor
Carpet
Laminate floor
Carpet
Carpet

Some 2 inches lost to progressive laying of flooring. New doors also needed as they had all been trimmed to match the layers...
That's amazing. Surely it would be harder work to trim the doors than to take up the old flooring?!

allegro

1,008 posts

171 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
I thought I had seen most things until I bought a house the other year and when renovating discovered that scrunched up pages of a 1991 yellow pages make perfect bricks!

markcoznottz

6,697 posts

191 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
PrinceRupert said:
We are finding endless bodges in our new house.

Favourite might be the extension with no electrics - the wall lights are wired by a cable plastered into the wall and plugged into an extension cable. Another extension cable was daisy chained through this hole in the wall.



Built in wardrobes he was proud of having built himself. We didnt open them when viewing. We had expected white shelves not a crumbling old hearth thirty year old wallpaper and roughly cut plywood.


|https://thumbsnap.com/Tnyu4saw[/url]



The flooring in all rooms looks like it was cut and fitted by someone with no thumbs. No rooms have thresholds fitted. Some rooms have wooden edges fitted...half are upside down, some are not attached.

Some of the kitchen units aren't attached to the walls.

The bathroom tap is so close to the edge of the sink you cannot get your hands under it without rubbing them against the ceramic.

I have yet to work out what this is (removable piece of wood under back door).



The kitchen has a wood ceiling fitted...badly. Falling off in places and has random chunks cut out of it. Who knows what horrors it is hiding.


This.

[url]

Kitchen draws that appear to be put together by expanding foam.

|https://thumbsnap.com/3JW6yDDj[/url]

And the list goes on and on ...
You have to acknowledge the effort and lateral thinking that went into the cable tie daisy chain check strap...

littlebasher

3,256 posts

138 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
When my daughter and SIL bought their first home last year, one of the first things they did was rip out some gash looking fitted wardrobes in the bedroom and they asked me to take out some equally tasteful wall lights

The lights were wired directly into the back of a 13A socket with some old and partially melted speaker wire.


That remind me, a couple of houses ago i found the kitchen unit lights were connected directly to a 40A shower breaker. There was no electric shower in the house either !

anonymous-user

21 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
My first house, when stripping wallpaper in a bedroom
Arm disappears through a hole
They had wallpapered straight over an air brick hole ! (grill removed on inside)

Gren

1,785 posts

219 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
Couple of years ago we had a leak in the extension, built by the last owners, which I assumed was coming in through the roof. I climbed up into the loft and found the leak was in fact the overflow pipe from the cold water storage tank (ballcock needed replacing) which hadn't been extended and was pouring straight into the extension loft space.

Edited by Gren on Tuesday 5th May 11:03

technodup

7,325 posts

97 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
This was found in a friend's house...

Loft conversions are easy aren't they? Basically just an extra staircase?


It's a bit steep...


Leading up to two 'bedrooms' in the attic


The best bit was that this was added by the tenant that had been renting it from my friend...

The 'bedrooms' were as bad as you might expect.

vaud

41,170 posts

122 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
PrinceRupert said:
vaud said:
Brother in law's house bought from a family who had it for 3 generations.

Came to take up the somewhat flexible laminate floor.

Laminate floor
Carpet
Laminate floor
Carpet
Carpet

Some 2 inches lost to progressive laying of flooring. New doors also needed as they had all been trimmed to match the layers...
That's amazing. Surely it would be harder work to trim the doors than to take up the old flooring?!
They were a bit odd apparently.

TooLateForAName

4,284 posts

151 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
My parents bought a house with more windows on the outside than the inside.

Investigation revealed that one had a bit of wood over the inside and had been wallpapered, the other was posh and had been tiled over.

hotchy

3,024 posts

93 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
PrinceRupert said:
vaud said:
Brother in law's house bought from a family who had it for 3 generations.

Came to take up the somewhat flexible laminate floor.

Laminate floor
Carpet
Laminate floor
Carpet
Carpet

Some 2 inches lost to progressive laying of flooring. New doors also needed as they had all been trimmed to match the layers...
That's amazing. Surely it would be harder work to trim the doors than to take up the old flooring?!
When my grandad passed away he had 4 full carpets and underlay down. He always said it was extra insulation lol he was a character.

Dog Star

12,762 posts

135 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
technodup said:
This was found in a friend's house...

Loft conversions are easy aren't they? Basically just an extra staircase?


It's a bit steep...


Leading up to two 'bedrooms' in the attic


The best bit was that this was added by the tenant that had been renting it from my friend...

The 'bedrooms' were as bad as you might expect.
This thread is amazing, but this is the winner so far for me!

crofty1984

15,219 posts

171 months

Tuesday 5th May 2020
quotequote all
technodup said:
This was found in a friend's house...

Loft conversions are easy aren't they? Basically just an extra staircase?


It's a bit steep...


Leading up to two 'bedrooms' in the attic


The best bit was that this was added by the tenant that had been renting it from my friend...

The 'bedrooms' were as bad as you might expect.
Wow - some people take the "no fat chicks" rule very seriously.