I got wood

Author
Discussion

LeadFarmer

4,877 posts

101 months

Monday 20th September
quotequote all
bobski1 said:
Brilliant thanks all, I have all material I need, just need to finish drawing up plans so I can order the right amount of sheet.
Got my sheets from Wickes, they do 2m long sheets (which I didn't want to risk strapping to my roof bars) and 1m long (but not quite as wide), which fitted into my boot. I overlapped each sheet by 2 ridges, but you could do it with just 1 ridge overlap, it's only a log store. Knowing I was buying the smaller sheets I had to build my store with the correct angle roof for the 1m long sheets to overhand sufficiently.

When going to Wickes I took a tape measure and pulled the sheets off the shelf and laid them all out, overlapped, and double checked the measurements were correct.

bobski1

1,379 posts

74 months

Monday 20th September
quotequote all
LeadFarmer said:
Got my sheets from Wickes, they do 2m long sheets (which I didn't want to risk strapping to my roof bars) and 1m long (but not quite as wide), which fitted into my boot. I overlapped each sheet by 2 ridges, but you could do it with just 1 ridge overlap, it's only a log store. Knowing I was buying the smaller sheets I had to build my store with the correct angle roof for the 1m long sheets to overhand sufficiently.

When going to Wickes I took a tape measure and pulled the sheets off the shelf and laid them all out, overlapped, and double checked the measurements were correct.
Even though I can fit the 2m one in the big car I'm most likely to go for the 1m version too. The path is currently 600mm and I've got some small paving slabs to put down to extend it to around 1m. I'll overhang the front by 50mm and have a gap at the rear of 50mm max so it gives me a store depth of 900mm which is very big considering the logs can only be a max of 300mm for the burner.

bobski1

1,379 posts

74 months

Tuesday 21st September
quotequote all
Has anybody got a supplier of wood based around Oxfordshire. The guy I used last time has gone MIA so would like to get a tonne in time for Autumn. Happy to take seasoned logs to chop myself or already split

jagnet

3,691 posts

172 months

Wednesday 22nd September
quotequote all
Today I discovered that there's limits to how rustic I want my wood shed to be:



At least it's empty.
But that's the old skin, which means that it's now bigger.
Run away, run away!

aparna

1,107 posts

7 months

Wednesday 22nd September
quotequote all
Quick question if anyone is inclined, I'm on a flexible gas tarif. I'm wondering what is likely to be the approx crossover price per ton of wood versus estimated gas prices this winter, to heat my home with a boiler stove?

If that makes sense?

snowandrocks

962 posts

112 months

Wednesday 22nd September
quotequote all
I've seen 4kwh/Kg as a rough estimate for the heat output from burning dry firewood. Sounds about right to me based on what my stove can burn running flat out at it's rated capacity.

How much are you paying for gas? If you assume 4p per KWH then, assuming my arithmetic is right, your firewood needs to cost less than £160 per tonne.

Also worth bearing in mind that 1000kg of dry firewood is almost 4 cubic metres if it's just loosely piled.

Edited by snowandrocks on Wednesday 22 September 12:38

LeadFarmer

4,877 posts

101 months

Wednesday 22nd September
quotequote all
jagnet said:
Today I discovered that there's limits to how rustic I want my wood shed to be:



At least it's empty.
But that's the old skin, which means that it's now bigger.
Run away, run away!
Took me a while to work out what I was looking at. What kind of snake do you think it is? Grass snake?

S6PNJ

4,368 posts

251 months

Wednesday 22nd September
quotequote all
aparna said:
Quick question if anyone is inclined, I'm on a flexible gas tariff. I'm wondering what is likely to be the approx crossover price per ton of wood versus estimated gas prices this winter, to heat my home with a boiler stove?

If that makes sense?
This was last updated in May 21, but it should give you a starting point and you can always update the figures for your pricing.
https://nottenergy.com/resources/energy-cost-compa...

jagnet

3,691 posts

172 months

Wednesday 22nd September
quotequote all
LeadFarmer said:
jagnet said:
Today I discovered that there's limits to how rustic I want my wood shed to be:



At least it's empty.
But that's the old skin, which means that it's now bigger.
Run away, run away!
Took me a while to work out what I was looking at. What kind of snake do you think it is? Grass snake?
I'm hoping so biggrin

It's about a metre long, so by my reckoning it's too long to be an adder. Whether the snakes know that or not I couldn't say. Been plenty of baby adders around the last month which are quite sweet, but snakes > 1 metre, not so much.

Magooagain

6,718 posts

140 months

Wednesday 22nd September
quotequote all
jagnet said:
Today I discovered that there's limits to how rustic I want my wood shed to be:



At least it's empty.
But that's the old skin, which means that it's now bigger.
Run away, run away!
Western whip snake maybe.

Tango13

6,429 posts

146 months

Wednesday 22nd September
quotequote all
Last year one of my neighbours built his own house, I made the mistake of asking if he wanted rid of a couple of old pallets he had...

This is the 4th or 5th time I've come home to this sight this year



I think the other self builders down the road are dumping their pallets on me too hehe