Best friend

Author
Discussion

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

3,978 posts

83 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
Best friend of 13 years who has been there through some very hard times with me is struggling.

Been diagnosed with bladder cancer in April 2017 and was given 6 Months. Amazingly she has been perfect and full of life up until around 2 weeks ago when she started to lose weight.

She is starting to struggle now and not eating as much nor as interested in wanting to go for a walk.

I have had dog's in the past and have had to go through the pain of having them put down but my heart is totally breaking.

Not going into details about my life but it's not been great to say the least. My friend has been there for me in some very dark times and now I am unable to help her as she is fading away.

I know it's not fair to try and keep her going just for me if she is starting to struggle but I am really struggling seeing the end on the horizon.

Taking her to the vet tomorrow to get a professional view but I know what the answer is going to be.

Christ life is hard.


Dinoboy

1,316 posts

149 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
Sorry to hear, they really are wonderful. Stay strong.

moorx

1,211 posts

46 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
I'm so very sorry.

No matter how many times you go through it, it never gets any easier.

I will be thinking of you.

Turn7

14,425 posts

153 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
Been there twice, so fully appreciate where you are at....

Its hard, but often the best option, very sadly.

Ive now left the vets 3 times in floods of tears, whilst knowing it was THE only option.

My deepest sympathies dude......

Mezzanine

4,586 posts

151 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
it is the hardest decision but ultimately if it stops her suffering then the kindest thing you can do after she has given you so much.

She looks fantastic.

Thinking of both of you.

Advertisement

Berkshire bred

714 posts

7 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
Christ this thread hits home. I've had my dog since I was 7 and him 5 months, he is now 15 and fortunately still healthy, happy and active. Sadly though I know that sooner rather than later im going to have to deal with what your going through and to be honest I have no idea how I'm going to cope, if at all.

I know it's only words over an internet forum from a stranger but I feel so bloody sorry for you, all the worse as there is nothing that can be done. There really is nothing helpful I can say other than I can appreciate what your going through.

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

3,978 posts

83 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

The whole family is struggling but I am trying to keep it together to keep them all calm hence why I had to let off steam on here.

Strange thing is she has now perked up a bit which makes things even harder.

The tail keeps going all the time and she looks up when she hear's our voices.

Again thank you all.

Turn7

14,425 posts

153 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
Ad I said above, I have cried myself to sleep after coming back from the vets alone.

Its a truly hatefull decision to have to make, but one the needs to be made....

I genuinely feel your pain dude, but its for the best , sadly....

Whilst it may seem glib, and Im no poest, Shakespeare said it is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.....

These applies to our furry family as well........

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

3,978 posts

83 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
Berkshire bred said:
Christ this thread hits home. I've had my dog since I was 7 and him 5 months, he is now 15 and fortunately still healthy, happy and active. Sadly though I know that sooner rather than later im going to have to deal with what your going through and to be honest I have no idea how I'm going to cope, if at all.

I know it's only words over an internet forum from a stranger but I feel so bloody sorry for you, all the worse as there is nothing that can be done. There really is nothing helpful I can say other than I can appreciate what your going through.
I think it's hard mentioning it to anyone outside the family situation. If someone is not into having a pet then they basically think your a bit mad getting upset about an animal. This is why posting on a forum in a pet section helps as others have been there or just have a pet.

But as you know they really are part of the family. Every memory for the last 13 years has the dog in the big picture.

The dog clearly can't speak but then have a connection with you and knows when you need some support. That same connection is now telling me that she is starting to have enough of the fight.

After losing the family pet when I was younger and going through watching it being put down I was against wanting another dog as it was very painful. But the last 13 years have been extremely special. She has made the house a home and just been the perfect dog. I am sure everyone says that about their dog.

Thank you for your words as it means a lot.





keirik

696 posts

75 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
very sorry to hear his, but please don't hang on just because "she's perked up", dogs don't show the pain they're in, so it's up to us as their guardian to do the right thing for them and not for us


Turn7

14,425 posts

153 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
keirik said:
very sorry to hear his, but please don't hang on just because "she's perked up", dogs don't show the pain they're in, so it's up to us as their guardian to do the right thing for them and not for us
Plus one on this...

TR4man

2,864 posts

106 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
So sorry to read this.

I've been through it three times now with our labs. The most recent wast last December and seven months on, the house seems so empty without a dog but my wife and I can't bring ourselves to have another.

The consolation you have have is that you have provided them with the best life they could have hoped for - plenty of love, food, safety, warmth and shelter. They give so much and yet that is all they ask of us.

psi310398

1,232 posts

135 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
So sorry.

Mine died two years ago and I still miss him a lot. But I have a lot of very fond memories.

Keep strong.


ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

3,978 posts

83 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
Turn7 said:
Ad I said above, I have cried myself to sleep after coming back from the vets alone.

Its a truly hatefull decision to have to make, but one the needs to be made....

I genuinely feel your pain dude, but its for the best , sadly....

Whilst it may seem glib, and Im no poest, Shakespeare said it is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.....

These applies to our furry family as well........
Yes that quote is spot on.

She has had a wonderful life and that's what I am concentrating on.

It's hard knowing it is us who makes the decision to have our friend put to sleep when it is the last thing anyone wants to do.

Wish she would pass away in her sleep but I don't want her to suffer.

HTP99

12,466 posts

72 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
Nothing really to add to this thread but I'm in tears reading it, I've only had to make that decision on a dog once, it is hard but the correct one.

Thinking of you OP.

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

3,978 posts

83 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
keirik said:
very sorry to hear his, but please don't hang on just because "she's perked up", dogs don't show the pain they're in, so it's up to us as their guardian to do the right thing for them and not for us
Yes I know even if she perks up it will not last. She has a terminal prognosis and it is clearly now in it's final stages.

I have never been one to hold on for my sake with any past pet. Just finding this one very hard but she will not suffer.

No one wants to see an animal struggling. It's not what her life was about.





Turn7

14,425 posts

153 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Turn7 said:
Ad I said above, I have cried myself to sleep after coming back from the vets alone.

Its a truly hatefull decision to have to make, but one the needs to be made....

I genuinely feel your pain dude, but its for the best , sadly....

Whilst it may seem glib, and Im no poest, Shakespeare said it is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all.....

These applies to our furry family as well........
Yes that quote is spot on.

She has had a wonderful life and that's what I am concentrating on.

It's hard knowing it is us who makes the decision to have our friend put to sleep when it is the last thing anyone wants to do.

Wish she would pass away in her sleep but I don't want her to suffer.
fk, you got me in tears now...... ATB.....

moorx

1,211 posts

46 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
I think this comic strip (unlikely I know) sums it up well, but it can be hard to read under the circumstances:

http://ubertoolcomic.com/?comic=no-97

ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

3,978 posts

83 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
TR4man said:
So sorry to read this.

I've been through it three times now with our labs. The most recent wast last December and seven months on, the house seems so empty without a dog but my wife and I can't bring ourselves to have another.

The consolation you have have is that you have provided them with the best life they could have hoped for - plenty of love, food, safety, warmth and shelter. They give so much and yet that is all they ask of us.
My last dog was a Lab. It was such a lovely kind dog but you will know this with the breed.

That was bl**** painful. Can still remember the day I was there with her.

That was enough for me so I thought but when Molly came along it was just at the right time.

I would have wanted a Lab again but I was amazed how great a breed the Cocker Spaniel is. Yes totally loopy at a young age but so loving.

Feel for you and your family. Seven Months is not long and it must still hurt.

My heart goes out to anyone who has been through this. Just not looking forward to the next bit.



ELUSIVEJIM

Original Poster:

3,978 posts

83 months

Sunday 15th July
quotequote all
HTP99 said:
Nothing really to add to this thread but I'm in tears reading it, I've only had to make that decision on a dog once, it is hard but the correct one.

Thinking of you OP.
Thank you.

As you say it's hard but the correct decision.

Scratch that it's ******* hard.

Sorry about upsetting you. Think it hits a nerve when you have lost your own.