Adopted yorkies

Author
Discussion

mintybiscuit

2,567 posts

101 months

Thursday 6th June 2019
quotequote all
My wife and I love yorkies.

We had 4 until last February.( one passed away last year at the age of 17 ) 2 were pure and 2 are crossed.
The first was named Monty. Naturally, as a car nut, the next two were name Carla and Raleigh.
Finally, the last one is called Argo, after my Uncles race car business.

Smashing dogs with great character and easy to train.

All ours are rescues too.



Edited by mintybiscuit on Thursday 6th June 21:03


Edited by mintybiscuit on Thursday 6th June 21:03

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Friday 7th June 2019
quotequote all
kuro said:
boxst said:
We’ve had a variety of dogs and the latest is a Yorkie. He is awesome with us but is a bit grotty with strangers and other dogs. Probably my fault with not socialising him properly perhaps.

He looks like a little character. Mine adores people but is very selective with his canine friends. I have to be careful as he will think nothing of having a pop at dogs many times his size. Small dog syndrome I guess.
Ted and Stella are brilliant with people and other dogs. Both very affectionate and what to be everyone's friend. Down to the original owners, not my doing - they've be brought up very well in that respect.
Not very responsive to their names though, which is a pain but I'm working on it. Stella is reluctant to release the ball once she's got it - again, more work (fun) required by me.

Went to vets last night for a check-over and vaccinations. Both excited to be there with lots of people, dogs and assorted furry friends. Ted was pretty good with just a wriggle and whelp when the needle went in, but Stella was quite stressy. Yelping like you wouldn't believe - you wouldn't believe how much (high-pitched) noise such a small thing can make. It was funny really - took three of us; the vet, veterinary nurse and me. Can't wait for the boosters in four weeks. hehe
Clean bill of health overall though which is great.
Vet recommended waiting a month or so before getting them neutered, once they've properly settled in with me.

moorx

1,824 posts

70 months

Friday 7th June 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
Stella is reluctant to release the ball once she's got it - again, more work (fun) required by me.
Have you tried using two balls? One to throw and one to 'bribe' them with to swap?

kuro

1,435 posts

75 months

Friday 7th June 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
Ted and Stella are brilliant with people and other dogs. Both very affectionate and what to be everyone's friend. Down to the original owners, not my doing - they've be brought up very well in that respect.
Not very responsive to their names though, which is a pain but I'm working on it. Stella is reluctant to release the ball once she's got it - again, more work (fun) required by me.

Went to vets last night for a check-over and vaccinations. Both excited to be there with lots of people, dogs and assorted furry friends. Ted was pretty good with just a wriggle and whelp when the needle went in, but Stella was quite stressy. Yelping like you wouldn't believe - you wouldn't believe how much (high-pitched) noise such a small thing can make. It was funny really - took three of us; the vet, veterinary nurse and me. Can't wait for the boosters in four weeks. hehe
Clean bill of health overall though which is great.
Vet recommended waiting a month or so before getting them neutered, once they've properly settled in with me.
Had to laugh about 3 of you restraining Stella. They have abilities Houdini would be proud of when faced with a vet.

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Friday 7th June 2019
quotequote all
moorx said:
Have you tried using two balls? One to throw and one to 'bribe' them with to swap?
Afraid so, yes.
The problem is Stella is keen to win the ball but Ted chases half heartedly, more interested in Stella than the ball. I can throw the second ball and Stella will fake run after it holding onto ball one, Ted follows her and then they both trot back leaving ball two where it landed. irked
When Stella gets bored standing off by a couple of feet she'll drop the ball and look at me eagerly to pick it up. 1. It's not close to me as it should be and 2. if I relent and try to pick it up, she snatched it up again and wags her tail furiously, clearly the most hilarious trick in the world ever. grumpy
I just have to spend some time teaching them what I expect. Can't expect them to know what I want after less than a week in my care.

kuro

1,435 posts

75 months

Friday 7th June 2019
quotequote all
Out of interest how did you come to adopt them?

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Friday 7th June 2019
quotequote all
The Internets.
Was registered on several websites to rescue or adopt a dog and these two popped up. Previous owners had to rehome them due to medical condition. They had to move to housing which doesn't allow pets.
They had the yorkies since they were 8 weeks old. I think they were heart broken to let them go but no option.
They obviously brought them up well, the dogs have brilliant temperaments and well behaved.
Just a little obedience training required to make them double adorable. smile

kuro

1,435 posts

75 months

Saturday 8th June 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
The Internets.
Was registered on several websites to rescue or adopt a dog and these two popped up. Previous owners had to rehome them due to medical condition. They had to move to housing which doesn't allow pets.
They had the yorkies since they were 8 weeks old. I think they were heart broken to let them go but no option.
They obviously brought them up well, the dogs have brilliant temperaments and well behaved.
Just a little obedience training required to make them double adorable. smile
Very sad, a difficult situation to deal with. At least they have gone to a good home.

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Friday 14th June 2019
quotequote all
Pretty sure I'm going to stick with original names now; Ted and Stella.

I've got used to them, and they are better at recognising their names now. Perhaps it was the switch from their original Welsh accented owners to my Bristolian/West Country accent... hehe

Anyway, I would be unable to resist calling them Alexa and Google, just for giggles, which isn't such a great idea. scratchchin

Still a struggle to get them to go for a walk when it's wet or cold. Stella was reticent from the beginning, but Ted's as bad now. Probably caught it from her. irked Although, things not helped by a neighbour's dog having a go at him.

My two were on their leads, but my neighbour's weimaraner, which while still a puppy at 14 months is massive, bounded round the corner off the lead. After a moments sniffing he snapped at Ted and had a go. I'd pulled my two in close and fended off the other with my foot while my neighbour tried to control her dog. Poor Ted is tenth the size of the aggressor.
Frustratingly, while she was apologising she said he only does this to small dogs on leads, 'He'll be fine if you let them off'. So they're aware he has a problem, yet still let him off-lead.

Onwards and upwards.

Who me ?

7,154 posts

168 months

Friday 14th June 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
Yep, learning that already, plus your comment about consistency is helpful.
I thought I was being helpful taking them on different walks, but I guess it just confuses them - not knowing where they're going each time. I'm now sticking to the same route every time and they now know when to turn and when we're getting home. Will switch things up, but only once they're more settled.
That bond is developing too - food is helpful, but attention is key. Both very happy to sit on my lap for belly rubs - for hours on end if I let them.
Ten minutes throwing a small ball around the garden is good fun for all of us, though they can be a bit stubborn returning the darn thing. irked Daren't leave them alone with the ball though; left to their own devices they chew off the fluorescent green fluff - not sure how good that is for them. Similarly, I got them a rope toy which they loved on sight. However, after a few hours they've managed to rip and shred it - I guess this is okay? If they manage to ingest any of it it'll pass through?
Taken it from them for now...
It's the way they go mental first thing in the morning and when I come in after being out for half an hour. They're so pleased to see me! They've got under my skin already. smile
I'm in process of "bedding in" a new dog. JRT/Yorky cross. Big personality, but terrified of things/folks unknown. My knee is her kingdom. But she needs more, so I drop my arms and she's now found that she can get to my hands at the side of my chair. And then she went mental, and zoomed round the room. Total ecstasy. She was in heaven. And she showed her delight. So nice to see a dog that had problems coming to me, just going so daft.

HTP99

16,766 posts

96 months

Friday 14th June 2019
quotequote all
[quote=Who me ?]I'm in process of "bedding in" a new dog. JRT/Yorky cross. Big personality, but terrified of things/folks unknown. My knee is her kingdom. But she needs more, so I drop my arms and she's now found that she can get to my hands at the side of my chair. And then she went mental, and zoomed round the room. Total ecstasy. She was in heaven. And she showed her delight. So nice to see a dog that had problems coming to me, just going so daft.
[/quote]

Any pics? I have 2; brother and sister from different litters but it's amazing how each dog from each litter looks very different.

kuro

1,435 posts

75 months

Tuesday 18th June 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
Pretty sure I'm going to stick with original names now; Ted and Stella.

I've got used to them, and they are better at recognising their names now. Perhaps it was the switch from their original Welsh accented owners to my Bristolian/West Country accent... hehe

Anyway, I would be unable to resist calling them Alexa and Google, just for giggles, which isn't such a great idea. scratchchin

Still a struggle to get them to go for a walk when it's wet or cold. Stella was reticent from the beginning, but Ted's as bad now. Probably caught it from her. irked Although, things not helped by a neighbour's dog having a go at him.

My two were on their leads, but my neighbour's weimaraner, which while still a puppy at 14 months is massive, bounded round the corner off the lead. After a moments sniffing he snapped at Ted and had a go. I'd pulled my two in close and fended off the other with my foot while my neighbour tried to control her dog. Poor Ted is tenth the size of the aggressor.
Frustratingly, while she was apologising she said he only does this to small dogs on leads, 'He'll be fine if you let them off'. So they're aware he has a problem, yet still let him off-lead.

Onwards and upwards.
Mine tends to go on the offensive first, I'm guessing he's trying to make a statement. He soon backs off if another dog has a go back. Funniest one was when he was surrounded by a group of bigger dogs. He disappeared under them all and then exploded out from the middle like the agent smith fight scene from matrix reloaded.

Who me ?

7,154 posts

168 months

Wednesday 19th June 2019
quotequote all
Terrier thing. They forget their size. They think that they are are as large as their ego.

boxst

3,245 posts

101 months

Wednesday 19th June 2019
quotequote all
kuro said:
Mine tends to go on the offensive first, I'm guessing he's trying to make a statement. He soon backs off if another dog has a go back. Funniest one was when he was surrounded by a group of bigger dogs. He disappeared under them all and then exploded out from the middle like the agent smith fight scene from matrix reloaded.
Yes. I can relate to that sadly. I tend to just be a little wary these days and keep him away from other dogs which of course exacerbates the problem.

Not as much as barking at the postman when he comes to the door which I’\m sure in his mind means he has warded off the evil person and protected his home so will do it even more vigorously next time ...

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Monday 24th June 2019
quotequote all
Stressful day of dog ownership yesterday...

About mid-morning Stella started a squeaky cough, a bit like hiccups. Was quite funny at first, but after a while it was clear something was troubling her. Champing her jaws and stretching her tongue, retching, swallowing hard and generally not herself. I was worried but what could I do? It was Sunday so vets not open, except the HO for emergencies only. Went online and booked her in for an appointment later today.
Still the same first thing this morning. Let them into the garden and she didn't even have a wee, just looked around sullenly and went back inside. Took them for our early morning constitutional when she started eating grass. I know this can be a sign they're ill, bored or just fancy some grass so didn't read too much into it. But, a couple of minutes later she sicked up something stringy; I pulled it out all the way. I wish I'd looked more closely at what it was, but was keen to get rid of it, and to stop Ted trying to eat it. vomit
With whatever it was gone, she was better, and half an hour later back on form. smile
With the worry, I hardly slept last night. They're fabulous stress relievers, but the reverse is true too.

kuro

1,435 posts

75 months

Friday 28th June 2019
quotequote all
Any updates on these two OP? Would be good to see some more photos.

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Sunday 30th June 2019
quotequote all
Both looking grumpy because I woke them up to take the photo. hehe
Stella was tuckered out after chasing a ball for ten minutes, and Ted flopped out because he's Ted.



Still settling to some extent, mostly brilliant but they can get a bit nervous at times. Usually understandable when there's lots of people and/or activity, but sometimes for no apparent reason. Can go days and it seems like they're over it, but then we'll be out walking and they'll get edgy - shaking and looking around nervously.

On the plus side, they really enjoy running which surprised me. If I jog around the field they'll gambol along, tongues lolling and thoroughly enjoy getting shagged out. Happily, it only takes five minutes.

kuro

1,435 posts

75 months

Monday 1st July 2019
quotequote all
LordGrover said:
Both looking grumpy because I woke them up to take the photo. hehe
Stella was tuckered out after chasing a ball for ten minutes, and Ted flopped out because he's Ted.



Still settling to some extent, mostly brilliant but they can get a bit nervous at times. Usually understandable when there's lots of people and/or activity, but sometimes for no apparent reason. Can go days and it seems like they're over it, but then we'll be out walking and they'll get edgy - shaking and looking around nervously.

On the plus side, they really enjoy running which surprised me. If I jog around the field they'll gambol along, tongues lolling and thoroughly enjoy getting shagged out. Happily, it only takes five minutes.
Lovely dogs, nice to see them again.

LordGrover

Original Poster:

31,434 posts

168 months

Wednesday 17th July 2019
quotequote all


Another haircut looms.

HTP99

16,766 posts

96 months

Wednesday 17th July 2019
quotequote all
They are lovely.