Something different. Meet my new baby Skunk

Something different. Meet my new baby Skunk

Author
Discussion

Mars

7,459 posts

181 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
I understand from your earlier post that Momma had her scent glands removed at some point but won't the kits be stinky once they grow up?

Gretchen

Original Poster:

17,575 posts

183 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Laughing at all of the above comments. Still a bit shocked but a pleasant surprise. Haven’t stopped smiling. She’s being an unbelievably good Mum! Coming off them to eat (not touching her fruit and veg though just taking meat and nuts - it’ll be a protein rich diet, we have watered down puppy meat for her and extra Hoppers and worms etc.)

She’s still not met the cats. Daddy (Chihuahua got her tail up and he growls but they stay away from each other).

I work in the office/admin side of a private care home. Leopard print went down well - I’ve usually got some on somewhere anyway it was just overkill yesterday.

I’ll keep the thread updated with pics and progress. We won’t be handling babies for a few weeks so forgive any grainy photos as they’re just taken when Mum is feeding.

Development will be much in line with kittens, still to open their ears and eyes. Can’t wait until they’re on their wobbly legs, tails up and playing love

We will be keeping one and finding suitable homes for the rest, some breeders have waiting lists (they aren’t easy to breed haha) so shouldn’t be difficult.










Mum chasing Crickets in her dig box last night



We picked up some panels a few weeks ago to make an addition to my current Catio for Tinks. We’re now planning something extra with a heated kennel and hopefully will start basics this weekend.

If anyone has any galvanised welded mesh, aviary panels, a small shed or anything of use within a forty mile radius of the Cambs/Beds border we would be happy to give it a good home!! smile




Gretchen

Original Poster:

17,575 posts

183 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Mars said:
I understand from your earlier post that Momma had her scent glands removed at some point but won't the kits be stinky once they grow up?
Kits will have their glands. However Skunks rarely spray unless threatened. Reading others experience it seems owners have maybe encountered a spray once in 8 years, or never at all. As babies have been born in to home environment and will be handled and raised in such and introduced to dog/cats they should be well behaved. I suppose you could compare it to a dog attacking? Obviously they are ‘wild animals’ It’s capable but if brought up correctly it would never happen?


Gretchen

Original Poster:

17,575 posts

183 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
I’m trying to upload a video of babies but not sure the sound is there? They’re such squeakers! Can someone post if this isn’t working and I’ll try another way later. Thank you.




condor

8,767 posts

215 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Looks very much like a photo to me. There isn't a video play arrow in the middle.

Gameface

16,565 posts

44 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
condor said:
Looks very much like a photo to me. There isn't a video play arrow in the middle.
Click it.

Gameface

16,565 posts

44 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
5 skunks!

Hard to know what to say!

Except, wonderful!

condor

8,767 posts

215 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Thanks smile yes the video plays if it's clicked. Didn't get any sound from it though. They look adorable smile

Mars

7,459 posts

181 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Gretchen said:
Mars said:
I understand from your earlier post that Momma had her scent glands removed at some point but won't the kits be stinky once they grow up?
Kits will have their glands. However Skunks rarely spray unless threatened. Reading others experience it seems owners have maybe encountered a spray once in 8 years, or never at all. As babies have been born in to home environment and will be handled and raised in such and introduced to dog/cats they should be well behaved. I suppose you could compare it to a dog attacking? Obviously they are ‘wild animals’ It’s capable but if brought up correctly it would never happen?
OK, that's interesting. Momma is certainly cute. I seem to have clicked "like" on a few Instagram pics of cute animals, so now I get lots of suggested ones. I think Momma is suitably cute for something similar. It'll be fun to see how she interacts with people.

Gretchen

Original Poster:

17,575 posts

183 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
We have an Instagram for Tinks if anyone wants to follow, video of babies is on there now

https://instagram.com/skunk_tails?igshid=x1oqqcgrg...




TheJimi

20,221 posts

210 months

Friday 7th May
quotequote all
Bloody hell!



Gretchen

Original Poster:

17,575 posts

183 months

Saturday 8th May
quotequote all
Story of my life rolleyeshehe


Gretchen

Original Poster:

17,575 posts

183 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all
Update on the kits. Starting to fluff up now, can see their tail fur coming through. Mum still gentle as ever. We are off to pick up an amazing 18’ heated pen/kennel today.










Gretchen

Original Poster:

17,575 posts

183 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all

dudleybloke

16,608 posts

153 months

Saturday 15th May
quotequote all
This popped up in my feed yesterday.

https://youtu.be/8-RkGXEAHLA

Gretchen

Original Poster:

17,575 posts

183 months

Saturday 22nd May
quotequote all
Update...We’ve sexed the kits and have one girl and three boys. These have to be the easiest babies to sex ever!

Girl



And the boys








Mum performing for worms




For those interested boys are more exposed...

Female



Male


Kes Arevo

408 posts

6 months

Saturday 22nd May
quotequote all
Little humbugs.

NMNeil

2,142 posts

17 months

Saturday 22nd May
quotequote all
RobbieTheTruth said:
Can I buy one?

How did the cats react to it?
I've had to wash 2 of my cats with tomato juice when they encountered a skunk and got sprayed.
Normally they just avoid them, but sometimes the meetings come as a surprise to both cat and skunk.

Digger

12,272 posts

158 months

Saturday 22nd May
quotequote all
NMNeil said:
RobbieTheTruth said:
Can I buy one?

How did the cats react to it?
I've had to wash 2 of my cats with tomato juice when they encountered a skunk and got sprayed.
Normally they just avoid them, but sometimes the meetings come as a surprise to both cat and skunk.
Why tomato juice? pure guess is its alkaline, but just a guess! smile

Gretchen

Original Poster:

17,575 posts

183 months

Sunday 23rd May
quotequote all
It’s a bit of a myth regarding Tomato Juice.

This little one just emitted a stink on me. To be honest I actually liked it! Weird as that sounds. I suffer migraines and can tell pretty much immediately if a scent will trigger one. His smell almost relaxed me. Maybe I’ve found the cute idea