Misfits, Dad's Army Types et al...

Misfits, Dad's Army Types et al...

Author
Discussion

Dibble

12,230 posts

217 months

Tuesday 19th April
quotequote all
pills said:
I think I've found the relevant bit of legislation re paramedics and protected titles

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/254/artic...

https://www.hcpc-uk.org/concerns/what-we-investiga...
Thanks. I’ll have a a look when I’m back at work later this week. I’m surprised the HCPC and CQC weren’t aware of this (I’ve had email correspondence with both bodies and their regulatory people about this, in my down time), as it seems wrong someone can swan around looking to all intents and purposes like a paramedic but it not be an offence to do so. I’ve had contact as well with the police over in Merseyside who dealt with him and they’d had the same result about it not being an equivalent impersonation offence.

Dibble

12,230 posts

217 months

Wednesday 11th May
quotequote all
Unrelated to anything posted here so far, but people posting in the “Russia Invades Ukraine” thread in NPE and referring to “UKR” and “RUS” or UA and RA. Up there with people using three letter codes for airports (which apparently “saves time” when it’s been challenged in various threads on PH over the years).

Ouroboros

1,216 posts

16 months

Wednesday 11th May
quotequote all
Dibble said:
Unrelated to anything posted here so far, but people posting in the “Russia Invades Ukraine” thread in NPE and referring to “UKR” and “RUS” or UA and RA. Up there with people using three letter codes for airports (which apparently “saves time” when it’s been challenged in various threads on PH over the years).
10/4 100%

Harry H

2,819 posts

133 months

Wednesday 11th May
quotequote all
Dibble said:
Unrelated to anything posted here so far, but people posting in the “Russia Invades Ukraine” thread in NPE and referring to “UKR” and “RUS” or UA and RA. Up there with people using three letter codes for airports (which apparently “saves time” when it’s been challenged in various threads on PH over the years).
Piston Heads is full of it though especially when anything to do with BMW. Usually Exx numbers. To the rest of the world it means bugger all but I suppose it saves them admitting in reality their car is a 15yr old diesel rep mobile. There's nothing wrong with the car of course, drive what you like, it's just the implication that because it's got a flying propeller on the front and a code name it's special. 2006 318d doesn't sound as impressive but at least the non BMW fanboys would know WTF they were talking about.



Edited by Harry H on Wednesday 11th May 14:46

OnTheBreadline

12,846 posts

157 months

Wednesday 11th May
quotequote all
I can't think of anything worse than spending that much time in airports that you know the codes by heart. Awful soul-less places, that bore the daylights out of me.

OT, but...

Working abroad (which is what they are essentlally implying that they are doing) is fun for 6 months but anything longer that that it starts to get boring and you end up damaging relationships with friends and family. Being proud of saying "Yes my wife and kids barely know me, but hey, expenses". And as for airport lounges, they're about as attractive as a Travelodge. Chairs that a thousand other blue-suited, BO'd "senior managers" have snoozed in, tiny drinks glasses, and hot-cupboard food, while your company A6 diesel with Comms Pack is in the long-stay car park, ooooooh you've really made it.

(I used to work at an airport dispatching planes, was interesting work, but my god the pathetic sights you'd see in the passenger areas at 5.30am in the middle of 10 hour delays...There isn't enough money in the world to make that sort of thing attractive, nor will I ever be jealous of it)

Ouroboros

1,216 posts

16 months

Wednesday 11th May
quotequote all
Harry H said:
Piston Heads is full of it though especially when anything to do with BMW. Usually Exx numbers. To the rest of the world it means bugger all but I suppose it saves them admitting in reality their car is a 15yr old diesel rep mobile. There's nothing wrong with the car of course, drive what you like, it's just the implication that because it's got a flying propeller on the front and a code name it's special. 2006 318d doesn't sound as impressive but at least the non BMW fanboys would know WTF they were talking about.



Edited by Harry H on Wednesday 11th May 14:46
life cycle impulse really gets my goat. BMW are so up there own arse they sell this phrase and people lap it up. Facelift to the rest of the world, and any person who uses LCI is marked out as a massive throbber for eternity.

bigandclever

12,426 posts

215 months

Wednesday 11th May
quotequote all
Not a Walt by any stretch but we're having a presentation by Ray Goggins (not David), the Irish "Chief Instructor Special Forces Ultimate Hell Week, Former Special Operations Soldier, Bestselling author of "Ranger22".

Anyway, he put up a slide of him clambering up onto a boat somewhere, dressed it up as they're moving at 40mph, high adrenaline, high stress situation. Sort of missed cropping the name of the boat out .. it's the Dublin to Holyhead ferry. I'm not going to point it out to him he doesn't need to embellish stuff smile

AstonZagato

11,006 posts

187 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
OnTheBreadline said:
I can't think of anything worse than spending that much time in airports that you know the codes by heart. Awful soul-less places, that bore the daylights out of me.

OT, but...

Working abroad (which is what they are essentlally implying that they are doing) is fun for 6 months but anything longer that that it starts to get boring and you end up damaging relationships with friends and family. Being proud of saying "Yes my wife and kids barely know me, but hey, expenses". And as for airport lounges, they're about as attractive as a Travelodge. Chairs that a thousand other blue-suited, BO'd "senior managers" have snoozed in, tiny drinks glasses, and hot-cupboard food, while your company A6 diesel with Comms Pack is in the long-stay car park, ooooooh you've really made it.

(I used to work at an airport dispatching planes, was interesting work, but my god the pathetic sights you'd see in the passenger areas at 5.30am in the middle of 10 hour delays...There isn't enough money in the world to make that sort of thing attractive, nor will I ever be jealous of it)
I (pre-covid) travelled a lot for business. A proper lot (250k miles in one year). It is difficult to name a major financial centre I haven't visited - usually at the front end of the plane.

But, by god, I agree with every word.

People would hear I was off to NY or Tokyo and coo about how lucky I was. All I could think about was schlepping through teeming airports, soulless hotel rooms and wasting time. Anyone who thinks it's glamorous has never done it.

One of the few upsides of Covid is that now people are happy to meet by Zoom.

vaud

44,078 posts

132 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
AstonZagato said:
I (pre-covid) travelled a lot for business. A proper lot (250k miles in one year). It is difficult to name a major financial centre I haven't visited - usually at the front end of the plane.

But, by god, I agree with every word.

People would hear I was off to NY or Tokyo and coo about how lucky I was. All I could think about was schlepping through teeming airports, soulless hotel rooms and wasting time. Anyone who thinks it's glamorous has never done it.

One of the few upsides of Covid is that now people are happy to meet by Zoom.
Quite right! The only exceptions I had were anywhere in France (I speak French, love French food and the French team's hours were never that long...) and Spain (esp Barcelona as we got to stay in the W on the beach)

Long haul can "f off".

One time I went to San Francisco for one 4 hour meeting. Thanks to delays it took 30 hours to get there. Had meeting. Flew back. Utter waste of time.

M47

876 posts

72 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
I once had the opportunity to go to Canada for work and some of my friends couldn’t understand why I wasn’t excited.

8 hours on a plane (in economy, or maybe premium economy subject to an approved business case, yes really!), 3 hours of arrow straight road, deliver training session of probably 2 hours max, tour of site and then head back. Probably 2 nights in some st accommodation.

It’s not like you’re going there for sightseeing or as a holiday. If you’re lucky you might get some time to do a bit of that but you can’t really justify an extra night away on expenses if there’s no actual work or travelling going on that day.

Fortunately common sense prevailed and we did it over video conference.

Rich Boy Spanner

569 posts

107 months

Thursday 12th May
quotequote all
I used to work for an airline and could never work out why the business class passengers all looked so miserable, considering they had the big seats and the champagne. Then I started travelling for business and now I know exactly why.

HD Adam

4,808 posts

161 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Rich Boy Spanner said:
I used to work for an airline and could never work out why the business class passengers all looked so miserable, considering they had the big seats and the champagne. Then I started travelling for business and now I know exactly why.
Exactly. It's not as great as people who don't do it, think it is.

When I was an International Man of Mystery, fixing things for an oilfield manufacturing company, I would often get last minute trips.

You'd tell people you had to go to Singapore for instance.

Ooh, Singapore, very fancy.

What it usually meant was a 3 hour taxi to Heathrow, check in & wait,14 hour flight, taxi to somebodies base of operation, fix equipment (usually flick a switch or turn it off & on again) taxi back to the airport, sleep at the airport hotel (maybe), check in, 14 hour flight back to blighty, 3 hour taxi home. Office the next day to report in.



austinsmirk

4,936 posts

100 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Harry H said:
Piston Heads is full of it though especially when anything to do with BMW. Usually Exx numbers. To the rest of the world it means bugger all but I suppose it saves them admitting in reality their car is a 15yr old diesel rep mobile. There's nothing wrong with the car of course, drive what you like, it's just the implication that because it's got a flying propeller on the front and a code name it's special. 2006 318d doesn't sound as impressive but at least the non BMW fanboys would know WTF they were talking about.



Edited by Harry H on Wednesday 11th May 14:46
I have been ridiculed at length for saying this previously

If you drive a 2.0. 2009 diesel 5 series estate: just say so

No I have a E. something blah blah blah blah.

It’s like some word cult of bell ends.


They’ll be a response on here shortly about why it’s so important to refer to the E number. Trust me , no one cares.

QuartzDad

1,625 posts

99 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
austinsmirk said:
I have been ridiculed at length for saying this previously

If you drive a 2.0. 2009 diesel 5 series estate: just say so

No I have a E. something blah blah blah blah.

It’s like some word cult of bell ends.

They’ll be a response on here shortly about why it’s so important to refer to the E number. Trust me , no one cares.
I'm guilty of this, know all my E's, F's and G's.

I'm also a raging hypocrite because when posters start discussing their Mercedes with W212, W124 etc. I have no clue which one is which and just think they're a massive bell...

The irony is not lost.

98elise

21,842 posts

138 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
AstonZagato said:
OnTheBreadline said:
I can't think of anything worse than spending that much time in airports that you know the codes by heart. Awful soul-less places, that bore the daylights out of me.

OT, but...

Working abroad (which is what they are essentlally implying that they are doing) is fun for 6 months but anything longer that that it starts to get boring and you end up damaging relationships with friends and family. Being proud of saying "Yes my wife and kids barely know me, but hey, expenses". And as for airport lounges, they're about as attractive as a Travelodge. Chairs that a thousand other blue-suited, BO'd "senior managers" have snoozed in, tiny drinks glasses, and hot-cupboard food, while your company A6 diesel with Comms Pack is in the long-stay car park, ooooooh you've really made it.

(I used to work at an airport dispatching planes, was interesting work, but my god the pathetic sights you'd see in the passenger areas at 5.30am in the middle of 10 hour delays...There isn't enough money in the world to make that sort of thing attractive, nor will I ever be jealous of it)
I (pre-covid) travelled a lot for business. A proper lot (250k miles in one year). It is difficult to name a major financial centre I haven't visited - usually at the front end of the plane.

But, by god, I agree with every word.

People would hear I was off to NY or Tokyo and coo about how lucky I was. All I could think about was schlepping through teeming airports, soulless hotel rooms and wasting time. Anyone who thinks it's glamorous has never done it.

One of the few upsides of Covid is that now people are happy to meet by Zoom.
Agreed.

I spent the best part of 2 years working away from home, living in nice hotels and decent expenses.

It was fun for about 2 weeks. Then the reality sets in of living out of a suitcase, having one room to call your own, and unable to see friends and family.





Tyre Smoke

21,270 posts

238 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Similar, but not the same, when I worked for TNT Express Worldwide I knew most airport codes like some sort of demented useless knowledge. I was in the Belfast depot (BFS) and used to fly once a month to London (LHR), East Midlands (EMA), Birmingham... you get the picture.
Occasionally we used to get OBC jobs come up (on board courier) where we would take a machine part or document personally to destination. Usually for a line stop or time sensitive something or other. I did a few, nowhere exciting. Cologne was one, Marseilles was another. Our LHR depot used to get one a week almost and much more exciting like Vancouver or Singapore. Great as a one off, but even flying once a month used to bore me to death along with staying in Crowne Plaza hotels.

Halmyre

9,776 posts

116 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I know Toronto is YYZ because it's the title of a Rush track.

Tyre Smoke

21,270 posts

238 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
Vancouver YVR, Montreal YUL. All Canadian airports seem to start with a 'Y'.

Flibble

6,380 posts

158 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I know Manchester is MAN. jester

dirky dirk

2,551 posts

147 months

Friday 13th May
quotequote all
I know most of them codes because I’m an airfreight guru


Sometimes the African ones catch me out though

FiH for example