Things that annoy you beyond reason...(Vol 5)

Things that annoy you beyond reason...(Vol 5)

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

kowalski655

9,321 posts

93 months

Wednesday 9th January 2019
quotequote all
clapclapclap
Top rant
Agree about the stupid noises on radio,you are never sure if it was the radio, just a glitch, or a disaster about to happen
But we need to know about the Dettol ad! What had they done to piss you off?

loafer123

9,469 posts

165 months

Wednesday 9th January 2019
quotequote all

People talking and eating noisily in the theatre.

I went to see a West End musical (Matilda - excellent) and there was a group of Americans behind us talking and eating crisps (CRISPS FFS) during the performance.

Now, it is certainly possible they were a Special Needs Group, they certainly behaved like it, but why the hell can they, and people like them, not sit quiet and still for the length of a performance?!

Dicks.

yellowjack

12,630 posts

116 months

Wednesday 9th January 2019
quotequote all
kowalski655 said:
clapclapclap
Top rant
Agree about the stupid noises on radio,you are never sure if it was the radio, just a glitch, or a disaster about to happen
But we need to know about the Dettol ad! What had they done to piss you off?
See also musical numbers played by the disc jockey which contain sound effect samples of emergency service vehicle sirens. Cue lots of head-swivelling while I try to assess where the siren is coming from, and how best to assist the driver, only to realise that it's a sample embedded into one of the latest hit records in the popular music chart...

Grrr!

rage

Wiccan of Darkness

1,570 posts

33 months

Wednesday 9th January 2019
quotequote all
yellowjack said:
kowalski655 said:
clapclapclap
Top rant
Agree about the stupid noises on radio,you are never sure if it was the radio, just a glitch, or a disaster about to happen
But we need to know about the Dettol ad! What had they done to piss you off?
See also musical numbers played by the disc jockey which contain sound effect samples of emergency service vehicle sirens. Cue lots of head-swivelling while I try to assess where the siren is coming from, and how best to assist the driver, only to realise that it's a sample embedded into one of the latest hit records in the popular music chart...

Grrr!

rage
Oh hell yeah, that scrapes my scrotum too.

The Dettol ad was the one about a kitchen chopping board harbouring more germs than your loo seat; the ad went all grey and screechy, implying your chopping board had more poo bugs than the bog seat; the way it was portrayed used extremely emotive imagery and sound effects, my complaint was upheld. I swear the makers of dettol would have ended up making an advert showing babies dying and the tagline 'are you a parent who murders your children by not using our product, this is what will happen if you don't use dettol' and dead kids in a morgue. I didn't like the extremely emotive and somewhat inaccurate way the product was being marketed and the ASA agreed. It did need to be nipped in the bud, Dettol's adverts had been becoming increasingly alarmist.

Boom! Strike one for the little guy....

V8mate

43,255 posts

139 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
loafer123 said:
People ... eating noisily
If anything could drive me to commit murder...

Big Nanas

343 posts

34 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
Wiccan of Darkness said:
...rant...

Is anybody capable of the process of independent thought any more, or do ad agencies recruit the lowest common denominator?

...extra rantings..
Top rant smile
I used to work for a number of ad agencies, and on many occasions the idea for a campaign comes from the client, and in some cases the client's, chairman's wife.

And they were always terrible.

glenrobbo

17,871 posts

100 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
Wiccan of Darkness said:
...rant...

...Stupid advertising really roasts my pelican at the best of times, but this was on another level of insanity.

...extra rantings..
My dear Wiccan,

I agree with Bananaman, top rant smile

But I also feel duty bound to report you to the National Pelican Protection Society Enforcement Officer, who will not be at all happy with your disgraceful treatment of our beloved Pelicans nono
He has a formidable weapon and he's not afraid to use it.
You have been warned...

Yours etc,

Disgruntled of Trivton


Clockwork Cupcake

62,671 posts

222 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
What a wonderful bird is the pelican; its beak can hold more than its belly can.

silly

captain_cynic

5,372 posts

45 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
Wiccan of Darkness said:
Is anybody capable of the process of independent thought any more, or do ad agencies recruit the lowest common denominator?
Advertisers target the lowest common denominator. I thought that was common knowledge by now. The more annoying they can make the advertisement, the more effective they are.

I responded by not listening to the radio, especially commercial radio. Same with TV.

It'll only get worse as fewer and fewer people are listening to the radio, ironically because advertisements are becoming more and more aggressive.

toppstuff

13,697 posts

197 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
Wiccan of Darkness said:
yellowjack said:
kowalski655 said:
clapclapclap
Top rant
Agree about the stupid noises on radio,you are never sure if it was the radio, just a glitch, or a disaster about to happen
But we need to know about the Dettol ad! What had they done to piss you off?
See also musical numbers played by the disc jockey which contain sound effect samples of emergency service vehicle sirens. Cue lots of head-swivelling while I try to assess where the siren is coming from, and how best to assist the driver, only to realise that it's a sample embedded into one of the latest hit records in the popular music chart...

Grrr!

rage
Oh hell yeah, that scrapes my scrotum too.

The Dettol ad was the one about a kitchen chopping board harbouring more germs than your loo seat; the ad went all grey and screechy, implying your chopping board had more poo bugs than the bog seat; the way it was portrayed used extremely emotive imagery and sound effects, my complaint was upheld. I swear the makers of dettol would have ended up making an advert showing babies dying and the tagline 'are you a parent who murders your children by not using our product, this is what will happen if you don't use dettol' and dead kids in a morgue. I didn't like the extremely emotive and somewhat inaccurate way the product was being marketed and the ASA agreed. It did need to be nipped in the bud, Dettol's adverts had been becoming increasingly alarmist.

Boom! Strike one for the little guy....
All of the above I reasons why I refuse to listen to commercial radio when driving.

Why the hell do I want to listen to ads every few minutes and the same song on rotation every hour? Commercial radio is dire.

Play music or talk radio / radio 4 / 5 live. At least learn something if you aren't playing your favourite tunes.

In fact, the more I think about this, the more I realise that commercial radio ( Heart FM, I am talking to you ) is a clear and present danger to the nation and threatens to make us all terminally stupid. I hate it. Maybe I should post this in the unpopular opinions thread.

Langweilig

3,575 posts

161 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
I consider myself fortunate enough to get an appointment with my GP. I went to the surgery and I had to queue up to see the receptionist.

But...BUT! Oh dear me! There was some stupid git in front of me who insisted upon causing a delay for myself and others with his seemingly unending conversation with the receptionist.

Conversation topics as follows -

Lanzarote.

Weather.

Rip tides.

Beer.

Lousy service.

Crusty pizzas.

Had a great time.

Bye now!

CLEAR OFF YOU IDIOT! YOU'RE WASTING EVERYBODY'S TIME!

Well, that's my blood pressure through the roof!

dartissimus

760 posts

124 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
Family members leaving the front door locked with the key left in the lock on the inside

yellowjack

12,630 posts

116 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
dartissimus said:
Family members leaving the front door locked with the key left in the lock on the inside
Would these be the same family members who then retire to listen to music or play online video games through headphones, or simply fall into a sleep so deep it could rival the tale of Sleeping Beauty?

Especially when the person locked out is sweaty from a fast-paced night-time MTB ride, and cooling fast under a cloudless, starlit, winter sky?

And when it would be annoying in the extreme to go banging on doors and yelling, because it's late and it'd disturb their neighbours' peaceful evening?

And when they are gaming/sleeping in a different room, often on a different floor, to where their mobile phone is plugged in to charge, and where the landline phone is kept?

Yeah, that can be REALLY annoying...

yes


...and easily avoided by pulling back the key just half a freakin' centimetre too!!!

V8mate

43,255 posts

139 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
yellowjack said:
dartissimus said:
Family members leaving the front door locked with the key left in the lock on the inside
Would these be the same family members who then retire to listen to music or play online video games through headphones, or simply fall into a sleep so deep it could rival the tale of Sleeping Beauty?

Especially when the person locked out is sweaty from a fast-paced night-time MTB ride, and cooling fast under a cloudless, starlit, winter sky?

And when it would be annoying in the extreme to go banging on doors and yelling, because it's late and it'd disturb their neighbours' peaceful evening?

And when they are gaming/sleeping in a different room, often on a different floor, to where their mobile phone is plugged in to charge, and where the landline phone is kept?

Yeah, that can be REALLY annoying...

yes


...and easily avoided by pulling back the key just half a freakin' centimetre too!!!
Only taking keys to one door out with you. Amateur.

MartG

15,445 posts

154 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
Ebay buyers who don't read the description in the ad - which part of "items are manufactured to order and may take up to 3 weeks to dispatch" is difficult to understand ? E-mail received from buyer after 3 days asking why their purchase hadn't arrived yet...

Ebay buyers who seem to think the Post Office is open 24/7 - purchase made Saturday evening, complaint received Monday afternoon that it hadn't arrived...

yellowjack

12,630 posts

116 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
MartG said:
Ebay buyers who don't read the description in the ad - which part of "items are manufactured to order and may take up to 3 weeks to dispatch" is difficult to understand ? E-mail received from buyer after 3 days asking why their purchase hadn't arrived yet...

Ebay buyers who seem to think the Post Office is open 24/7 - purchase made Saturday evening, complaint received Monday afternoon that it hadn't arrived...
Ebay buyers who stick a speculative bid on an item based on a brief look at the pictures in the listing, then win the item. Only then they find out that the item, which is a bicycle and listed as "collection only", is located in a town in Essex, a 250 mile round trip away, and not in a similar-sounding village just up the road.

Luckily for the seller, that idiot ebay buyer (Me!) sucked up his error and drove to Essex to pick up the (£53) bargain bicycle. He then drove it home and spent another £168 tarting it up so it rode nice. Still, it's turned out OK as it's a load of fun out on the byways and bridleways I bought it for. I even took it racing last Spring...

It's not bad at all, for a bike that's at least 25 years old. smile

MartG

15,445 posts

154 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
yellowjack said:
MartG said:
Ebay buyers who don't read the description in the ad - which part of "items are manufactured to order and may take up to 3 weeks to dispatch" is difficult to understand ? E-mail received from buyer after 3 days asking why their purchase hadn't arrived yet...

Ebay buyers who seem to think the Post Office is open 24/7 - purchase made Saturday evening, complaint received Monday afternoon that it hadn't arrived...
Ebay buyers who stick a speculative bid on an item based on a brief look at the pictures in the listing, then win the item. Only then they find out that the item, which is a bicycle and listed as "collection only", is located in a town in Essex, a 250 mile round trip away, and not in a similar-sounding village just up the road.

Luckily for the seller, that idiot ebay buyer (Me!) sucked up his error and drove to Essex to pick up the (£53) bargain bicycle. He then drove it home and spent another £168 tarting it up so it rode nice. Still, it's turned out OK as it's a load of fun out on the byways and bridleways I bought it for. I even took it racing last Spring...

It's not bad at all, for a bike that's at least 25 years old. smile
rofl

Kudos for sucking up your error thumbup

V8mate

43,255 posts

139 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
MartG said:
Ebay buyers who seem to think the Post Office is open 24/7 - purchase made Saturday evening, complaint received Monday afternoon that it hadn't arrived...
When I place an order with Amazon on a Saturday, it arrives Sunday lunchtime. You need to get your logistics sorted out hehe

glenrobbo

17,871 posts

100 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
dartissimus said:
Family members leaving the front door locked with the key left in the lock on the inside
scratchchin Perhaps they are trying to tell you something?

FourWheelDrift

79,069 posts

234 months

Thursday 10th January 2019
quotequote all
Non-centred stickers on PC cooling fans.
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED