What are your unpopular opinions?

What are your unpopular opinions?

Author
Discussion

j_4m

242 posts

1 month

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
Johnspex said:
The brainwashed bandwagon jumpers who like HP were often too old to have read it as a child. My ex-wife for instance was born in 1954 and she loved HP. But she was brainwashed by a number of things.
See, I read the letters 'HP' and I think of giant squid monsters and fish people from alternate dimensions...

captain_cynic

3,788 posts

32 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
Blown2CV said:
zombie films/series... are sci-fi, no?
Nope, they're horror.

Blown2CV

21,202 posts

140 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
captain_cynic said:
Blown2CV said:
zombie films/series... are sci-fi, no?
Nope, they're horror.
are they? It's usually 'science' to blame for them getting a bit zombied in the first place though, no?

captain_cynic

3,788 posts

32 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
Blown2CV said:
are they? It's usually 'science' to blame for them getting a bit zombied in the first place though, no?
They are.

First the origin in zombie films isn't very rarely explained. More tend to have occult origins as the idea of Zombies originates from Hatian folk lore (dead bodies reanimated, usually via magic). TWD never explained what caused the "issue" but then again, never calls them Zombies either.

Secondly, even if there is a Sci-Fi element to the origin story, the film is primarily horror, so it falls into the category of horror.

Zombies are older than TWD, Night of the Living Dead for example.

Rostfritt

2,140 posts

88 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
DoubleD said:
Zarco said:
I just love the fact some people think Harry Potter is science fiction laugh
Thats because they are brain washed.......
Probably because there is a flying car.
Advertisement

j_4m

242 posts

1 month

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
funkyrobot said:
Dr Jekyll said:
j_4m said:
Some of the greatest pieces of cinema ever made have been sci-fi (incidentally Harry Potter and LOTR are works of fantasy, not science fiction).
I agree about HP and LOTR being fantasy, but struggle to think of great pieces of SF cinema, and I'm a science fiction fan.

2001 is well done but ultimately dull. Gattaca is good. Final countdown is one of my favourite sunday afternoon films but hardly a classic.
What about the Blade Runner films? Sunshine? I'm a sci fi fan and some is indeed bad. Some is good. It's all very subjective though as we all like different things. Thank goodness.

If you want crap, look at A Wrinkle In Time. hehe

Star wars has gone crap with all of the SJW stuff.
The first and recent Blade Runners are great films, it helps that the source material was Philip K Dick. I also disagree about 2001, it is a lengthy bit of high concept but unlike a lot of Sci Fi still holds it own amongst modern films. 2009's Moon is also a great and often overlooked film.

I think the thing that brings Sci Fi films down is often the way plot is ignored in favour of cheap spaceship thrills. The best examples tell a good story, it just happens to have a Sci Fi setting. I am biased though, seeing as 80% of my Kindle is made up of science fiction, I understand how over the top CGI and gaping plot holes (cough Lucas cough) can put people off.

V6 Pushfit

10,011 posts

47 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
captain_cynic said:
They are.

First the origin in zombie films isn't very rarely explained. More tend to have occult origins as the idea of Zombies originates from Hatian folk lore (dead bodies reanimated, usually via magic). TWD never explained what caused the "issue" but then again, never calls them Zombies either.

Secondly, even if there is a Sci-Fi element to the origin story, the film is primarily horror, so it falls into the category of horror.

Zombies are older than TWD, Night of the Living Dead for example.
I believe its to do with the mind altering drugs in Haiti used in ceremonies going back hundreds of years, that cause zombie like effects that can last a while.

Flibble

4,241 posts

118 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
j_4m said:
The first and recent Blade Runners are great films, it helps that the source material was Philip K Dick. I also disagree about 2001, it is a lengthy bit of high concept but unlike a lot of Sci Fi still holds it own amongst modern films. 2009's Moon is also a great and often overlooked film.
Blade Runner is an poorly paced and confusingly abridged version of the book. I don't rate it. Not seen the new one (no real desire given how poor the original is).
2001 is just boring.

Integroo

2,960 posts

22 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
V6 Pushfit said:
No one said it would be a popular opinion. I prefer documentaries like The Walking Dead or Luther.

SciFi seems garbage to me, utter dross, the made up sputum from those unable to do anything remotely real.
Wait ... how the fk are The Walking Dead or Luther documentaries?!

The Walking Dead is about bloody zombies! I am not entirely sure on precise definitions but it definitely falls into fantasy and/or science fiction!

Blown2CV

21,202 posts

140 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
Integroo said:
V6 Pushfit said:
No one said it would be a popular opinion. I prefer documentaries like The Walking Dead or Luther.

SciFi seems garbage to me, utter dross, the made up sputum from those unable to do anything remotely real.
Wait ... how the fk are The Walking Dead or Luther documentaries?!

The Walking Dead is about bloody zombies! I am not entirely sure on precise definitions but it definitely falls into fantasy and/or science fiction!
Maybe he is taking the piss?

NoVetec

9,217 posts

110 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
Integroo said:
The Walking Dead is about bloody zombies!
Not anymore.

It's about the characters and existential emotionality.

FredClogs

13,257 posts

98 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
NoVetec said:
Integroo said:
The Walking Dead is about bloody zombies!
Not anymore.

It's about the characters and existential emotionality.
I gave up at series 4 but it was never really about zombies after the first 10 minutes, it's about how human nature (or a version of what someone thinks human nature is)

midenginedcoupe

3,856 posts

69 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
I think maybe my unpopular opinion is that I can't be bothered with SciFi that's too caught up in character or story telling. I want to get lost in alien worlds, promises of what life could be like with technology/capabilities I've not thought of before, etc., etc.

Sodding emoting but just in space holds no interest to me. Don't get me started on Gravity - Daddy Issues In Space. Star Wars did daddy issues so much better decades ago smile

TameRacingDriver

12,204 posts

209 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
FredClogs said:
I gave up at series 4 but it was never really about zombies after the first 10 minutes, it's about how human nature (or a version of what someone thinks human nature is)
Thanks. You've saved me the bother of watching it thumbup

NoVetec

9,217 posts

110 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
FredClogs said:
I gave up at series 4 but it was never really about zombies after the first 10 minutes, it's about how human nature (or a version of what someone thinks human nature is)
True. Remember thinking when Rick's missus got seemingly analised at the camp that it was going to be a drama with an undead background.

midenginedcoupe said:
I think maybe my unpopular opinion is that I can't be bothered with SciFi that's too caught up in character or story telling. I want to get lost in alien worlds, promises of what life could be like with technology/capabilities I've not thought of before, etc., etc.

Sodding emoting but just in space holds no interest to me. Don't get me started on Gravity - Daddy Issues In Space. Star Wars did daddy issues so much better decades ago smile
Can get on board with that. Science taking precedent over the human aspects of the fiction.

I can handle character development stuff in horror though, safe in the knowledge that at some point they or at least someone close to the character will die a bloody/interesting/quick/slow/entertaining/surprising death.

j_4m

242 posts

1 month

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
Flibble said:
Blade Runner is an poorly paced and confusingly abridged version of the book. I don't rate it. Not seen the new one (no real desire given how poor the original is).
2001 is just boring.
Well, that's just like, you're opinion man.

slipstream 1985

6,083 posts

116 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
j_4m said:
Flibble said:
Blade Runner is an poorly paced and confusingly abridged version of the book. I don't rate it. Not seen the new one (no real desire given how poor the original is).
2001 is just boring.
Well, that's just like, you're opinion man.
I agreed with him, both the old film and new film are boring. visually stunning yes but I am a big sci fi nerd and have no love for either.

Flibble

4,241 posts

118 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
slipstream 1985 said:
j_4m said:
Flibble said:
Blade Runner is an poorly paced and confusingly abridged version of the book. I don't rate it. Not seen the new one (no real desire given how poor the original is).
2001 is just boring.
Well, that's just like, you're opinion man.
I agreed with him, both the old film and new film are boring. visually stunning yes but I am a big sci fi nerd and have no love for either.
I think the book is excellent, which makes the film even more disappointing. Also the visual impact has been rather lost since it first came out which just leaves a mediocre at best film.

singlecoil

26,992 posts

183 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
TameRacingDriver said:
FredClogs said:
I gave up at series 4 but it was never really about zombies after the first 10 minutes, it's about how human nature (or a version of what someone thinks human nature is)
Thanks. You've saved me the bother of watching it thumbup
How on earth could it ever have been about zombies? Zombies don't do anything, they can't reason or talk or show emotions (as they don't have any). They don't really qualify as antagonists. Those will come from within the living humans. They were never going to be anything other than a backdrop.

Blown2CV

21,202 posts

140 months

Wednesday 9th January
quotequote all
singlecoil said:
TameRacingDriver said:
FredClogs said:
I gave up at series 4 but it was never really about zombies after the first 10 minutes, it's about how human nature (or a version of what someone thinks human nature is)
Thanks. You've saved me the bother of watching it thumbup
How on earth could it ever have been about zombies? Zombies don't do anything, they can't reason or talk or show emotions (as they don't have any). They don't really qualify as antagonists. Those will come from within the living humans. They were never going to be anything other than a backdrop.
i've stuck with it but have been quite annoyed by the recent couple of seasons, particularly the previous one to current. It is almost completely about humanity and conflict, trust, tribalism... hardly any zombies in it, compared to the first few seasons. I had actually forgotten just how exciting it used to be, until I started watching Fear the Walking Dead (prequel spin off series) and kind of got a bit of that excitement of the early TWD.

It is obvious though, there is no way they could just make it about zombie bashing action for 9+ seasons. It does have to have something more to achieve the kind of longevity required to get to this point.