Tell Us Something Really Trivial About Your Life (Vol 31)

Tell Us Something Really Trivial About Your Life (Vol 31)

Author
Discussion

DickyC

Original Poster:

31,914 posts

137 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
Mind you, I was still a young man when the Trivial Thread burst into our lives.

nonsequitur

8,035 posts

55 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
fatboy18 said:
slopes said:
Bobberoo99 said:
I was born in 1970 so was very aware of the £sd shillings and pence thing, and was taught in both metric and imperial at school, working in the industry I do I have to work in both!!
Pfft! whippersnapper! I was 3 when you were born
I was doing my 11 + Exams !
I can recall posting on this thread for the first time in that year.coffee

DickyC

Original Poster:

31,914 posts

137 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
nonsequitur said:
I can recall posting on this thread for the first time in that year.coffee
Ah, yes, when the Internet was of wood and rope construction. With metal pins, obviously, but they were used sparingly because of cost implications. The Software was paper or, occasionally, parchment if it was important.

fatboy18

15,919 posts

150 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
nonsequitur said:
fatboy18 said:
slopes said:
Bobberoo99 said:
I was born in 1970 so was very aware of the £sd shillings and pence thing, and was taught in both metric and imperial at school, working in the industry I do I have to work in both!!
Pfft! whippersnapper! I was 3 when you were born
I was doing my 11 + Exams !
I can recall posting on this thread for the first time in that year.coffee
Were you using the Alan Turing computer?

nonsequitur

8,035 posts

55 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
DickyC said:
nonsequitur said:
I can recall posting on this thread for the first time in that year.coffee
Ah, yes, when the Internet was of wood and rope construction. With metal pins, obviously, but they were used sparingly because of cost implications. The Software was paper or, occasionally, parchment if it was important.
If I remember correctly I talked into a metal can and the moderator at the other end took my post and said a cheery 'message posted'. And..err...that's it.phone<<(tin can)

The post was far too trivial to remember all these years later.

Advertisement

Bobberoo99

6,815 posts

37 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
nonsequitur said:
DickyC said:
nonsequitur said:
I can recall posting on this thread for the first time in that year.coffee
Ah, yes, when the Internet was of wood and rope construction. With metal pins, obviously, but they were used sparingly because of cost implications. The Software was paper or, occasionally, parchment if it was important.
If I remember correctly I talked into a metal can and the moderator at the other end took my post and said a cheery 'message posted'. And..err...that's it.phone<<(tin can)

The post was far too trivial to remember all these years later.
yes I remember seeing those tincanoputer things in a museum when i was really young!!! I bet glenrobo remembers them being invented!!!

Bobberoo99

6,815 posts

37 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
Right then, i actually have a genuine question, i want to find out what springs to replace the rear springs on the Fucarse with, apparently there's some sort of colour coding malarky but i can't find out anything on tinternet on what it means!!!! HELP!!!!

P5BNij

3,047 posts

45 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
1970... the year I started school, The Beatles officially split up even though the last time the four of them were in the same place at the same time was for a photo shoot in John's back garden the previous August (proper bit of trivia there, goodness me...;) ), the year of 'Kelly's Heroes', the English world cup squad being gifted brand new Mk2 Cortinas, Jochen Rindt became posthumous F1 world champion and Jimi Hendrix shuffled off to another plane altogether.

I feel old. But not as old as Dicky!

glenrobbo

13,848 posts

89 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
P5BNij said:
Which reminds me, I need a shilling for the metre...!
Nij, It's cheaper by the yard. I thought you knew that. rolleyes

fatboy18

15,919 posts

150 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
Remember these?


I bought one at Tooting Market back in the day

Edited by fatboy18 on Monday 18th February 20:52

Pericoloso

38,149 posts

102 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
Funny that Bobbers mentioned my food bargain buys.

I give you....


Estimated to cost less than 40p.
Quiche reduced to 10p,only half on the plate,5p
Paprika fries,also reduced to 10p..
About 15-20p of peas.
Nom bargain.

glenrobbo

13,848 posts

89 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
You young 'uns!

1970? That was a memorable year for me. I got married and we spent our honeymoon on the outskirts of a little fishing village in Spain. It was called "Benidorm" . Our hotel was an artist's impression in the Blue Sky brochure., but was very posh. All was orange marble.
I sold my Triumph TR-2 to pay for the fortnight of heaven.

The Hotel Orange has since been demolished after many long years of stirling service.

Shame.

But Mrs Robbo and I are still going strong with no demolition order served on us as yet. smile

I remember sweet rationing and when it ended my Mum made my baby sister a winning costume for the parish fête fancy dress competition: "Sweet Rationing Girl".
A little lacy dress covered in faked toffees in colourful wrappers sewn on to it.

I remember watching the first jets flying overhead from the nearby USAF base: F-80 Shooting Stars.
Spitfires were still in service with the RAF.
I remember my first long trousers when I started at big school.

I remember my gran was one of the first people in the village to get a television.
9" black & white. She bought it just before the Coronation
On that day, her living room was packed! But us kids were sat cross-legged on the floor right at the front watching the grainy images of the Queen's carriage and white horses.





Bobberoo99

6,815 posts

37 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
Wonderful, priceless, irreplaceable memories glenrobbo, i was once told, we spend our lives creating memories and those memories and what creates them shape us and our personas.

moneymakestheworldgoaround

3,803 posts

114 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
DickyC said:
I started work in 1970.
You started work before my parents were even born... hehe

glenrobbo

13,848 posts

89 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
fatboy18 said:
Remember these?


I bought one at Tooting Market back in the day

Edited by fatboy18 on Monday 18th February 20:52
I'm still trying to get the hang of this new-fangled decimal stuff.


And I struggle with working out fuel consumption since they did away with gallons.
I mean, take 8 miles per litre for instance: Is that good or bad? Nobody knows, do they?
What's more, how come these litres are less than a quarter the size of a gallon, but cost 3 times more? What a rip-off! grumpy

It's stupid!

You know where you are with a decent bit of 3 by 2.
Or a sheet of 8 by 4.
Now it's lots of stupid fiddly millithings that have no meaning. rolleyes

fatboy18

15,919 posts

150 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
What gets me now is when you watch most motoring programs and they mention distance and speed in kilometers yet we still have signage on our roads indicating seed in MPH and of course speedos in cars also using MPH

Will the trend towards Km still continue after the impending withdrawal from the EU?

I HOPE NOT.

Bobberoo99

6,815 posts

37 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
glenrobbo said:
fatboy18 said:
Remember these?


I bought one at Tooting Market back in the day

Edited by fatboy18 on Monday 18th February 20:52
I'm still trying to get the hang of this new-fangled decimal stuff.


And I struggle with working out fuel consumption since they did away with gallons.
I mean, take 8 miles per litre for instance: Is that good or bad? Nobody knows, do they?
What's more, how come these litres are less than a quarter the size of a gallon, but cost 3 times more? What a rip-off! grumpy

It's stupid!

You know where you are with a decent bit of 3 by 2.
Or a sheet of 8 by 4.
Now it's lots of stupid fiddly millithings that have no meaning. rolleyes
Also know as 3 axis machines, or milling machines, as opposed to 5 axis mill/turns or 7 axis mill/turns!!! smile

V6 Pushfit

10,192 posts

49 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
I still live in the same house I grew up in. I say house - more like a wood and tin shanty.

magooagain

2,451 posts

109 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
I'm off to Angouleme in the morning with my neighbour. He wants to order and pay for a new swimming pool"hors sol".
I'm the translator.

I'm promised a free lunch!

fatboy18

15,919 posts

150 months

Monday 18th February
quotequote all
magooagain said:
I'm off to Angouleme in the morning with my neighbour. He wants to order and pay for a new swimming pool"hors sol".
I'm the translator.

I'm promised a free lunch!
Is the Corned Beef Chilled?