Shopping at Aldi compared to others. Β£42 saving.

Shopping at Aldi compared to others. Β£42 saving.

Author
Discussion

FiF

36,817 posts

201 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Flibble said:
Interesting, Tesco seem to have significantly worse fresh produce than others in my experience.
Is it time for a rerun of the gag about Tesco purchasing department yet?

Tesco purchasing dept, employs fresh faced graduate trainees and turns them into aholes.

Stan the Bat

5,214 posts

162 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Pack at the f ing shelf, there are signs everywhere but about 30% still try the 'till race'.

Morons

furious

ninepoint2

2,195 posts

110 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Stan the Bat said:
Pack at the f ing shelf, there are signs everywhere but about 30% still try the 'till race'.

Morons

furious
Much more than 30% I would say..think they have probably popped in on the way to a Mensa Coffee Morning...biggrin

Jag_NE

2,049 posts

50 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Aldi and Lidl don’t tend to attract the knuckle draggers. In my opinion, this is solely attributable to them not selling fosters lager.

FiF

36,817 posts

201 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Stan the Bat said:
Pack at the f ing shelf, there are signs everywhere but about 30% still try the 'till race'.

Morons

furious
If it's a trolley full, then agreed, just bung it back in the trolley and then sort it at the shelf.

If it's a basket load, then slightly more difficult as you're required to leave the empty basket on the pile at the entry end of the belt. So you can't avoid doing the checkout Tetris race.

98elise

15,733 posts

111 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
lufbramatt said:
Yes Horsted. Although actually I think it might be a new unit next door to the old toys r us store.
That was the plan but you would think the Toys r Us store would be better now it's empty.

zb

1,400 posts

114 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
FiF said:
If it's a trolley full, then agreed, just bung it back in the trolley and then sort it at the shelf.

If it's a basket load, then slightly more difficult as you're required to leave the empty basket on the pile at the entry end of the belt. So you can't avoid doing the checkout Tetris race.
With a basket worth; strategically space your loose fruit/veg. This gives you a few extra half a nanoseconds whilst they weight it, instead of the usual femtosecond, to sort your wares.

Twig62

458 posts

46 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
98elise said:
That was the plan but you would think the Toys r Us store would be better now it's empty.
Apparently planning has already been agreed for it to be split in two and one half is going to be a gym and the other half something like Home Bargains. It was probably too big to be an Aldi on its own and they had already gone through the planning process to build the new unit anyway before Toys R Us went bust.

skilly1

2,063 posts

145 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Stan the Bat said:
Pack at the f ing shelf, there are signs everywhere but about 30% still try the 'till race'.

Morons

furious
2 Large blue Ikea bags ready in the bottom of the trolley, you can just chuck stuff in. Then 2 more bags ready to go on top. Lay out your shopping on the conveyor with heavy items at the front - fragile at the back. You can now load as quick as the scanning. You're welcome !

PF62

1,325 posts

123 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
soad said:
Is there much difference between Lidl and Aldi?
I would say so, and much prefer Lidl.

Lidl do 'bake in store' but Aldi don't. I know it is just heating up part baked, but it is better than the plastic bread in Aldi.

Aldi have a wider range of ready meals than Lidl, but neither those from Aldi or Lidl are very good.

The local Lidl store has 'real' checkouts not the small shelf which Aldi has so not quite such a panic as things are being scanned.

Aldi seem to delight in creating the longest queues possible by having the smallest number of tills open, but the local Lidl is much more responsive so the queues are nowhere need as bad.

PF62

1,325 posts

123 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
zb said:
FiF said:
If it's a trolley full, then agreed, just bung it back in the trolley and then sort it at the shelf.

If it's a basket load, then slightly more difficult as you're required to leave the empty basket on the pile at the entry end of the belt. So you can't avoid doing the checkout Tetris race.
With a basket worth; strategically space your loose fruit/veg. This gives you a few extra half a nanoseconds whilst they weight it, instead of the usual femtosecond, to sort your wares.
With a basket in Aldi I just don't play their game and take as long as I want. What are they going to do about it?

Jimboka

8,308 posts

154 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
I find it mildly amusing that they can have a stack of Kitchen mixer taps in the ‘aisle of dreams’. Who buys them on a whim ?!!
Still rather pay a ‘premium’ for Ocado. Save fuel. Avoid door dings.. No queuing or people. Bargainous.

Lemming Train

4,225 posts

22 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Aldi meat certainly has a different taste to that found in other supermarkets. Whether it's the sort of taste you enjoy is another question though.

Aldi pork joint.

lick

0a

21,722 posts

144 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Riley Blue said:
Aldi / Lidl shopping has been a popular PH topic for seven years: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&...
One of the few popular threads I have started on PH!

I love Aldi and Lidl. My shop always comes out miles cheaper than I guess it to be, and the quality is a lot higher than the main supermarkets in my opinion.

paulrockliffe

9,807 posts

177 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
FiF said:
Stan the Bat said:
Pack at the f ing shelf, there are signs everywhere but about 30% still try the 'till race'.

Morons

furious
If it's a trolley full, then agreed, just bung it back in the trolley and then sort it at the shelf.

If it's a basket load, then slightly more difficult as you're required to leave the empty basket on the pile at the entry end of the belt. So you can't avoid doing the checkout Tetris race.
Wot? Any idiot can do a full trolley at the same speed as the till person can scan. Crikey.

Storer

5,015 posts

165 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
We may have the best combination just about to open..

A M&S food store and an Aldi next door using the same car park.

We get most non perishable goods from Costco once every 3 months and this combination should see to the rest of our food (other than meat from a local butcher).

My wife had a shock before Christmas when she worked out what we had spent in the last 12 months. She has knocked £650 a month off our grocery shopping bill for a family of 4 adults since then 👍

treehack

985 posts

189 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
Storer said:
We may have the best combination just about to open..

A M&S food store and an Aldi next door using the same car park.

We get most non perishable goods from Costco once every 3 months and this combination should see to the rest of our food (other than meat from a local butcher).

My wife had a shock before Christmas when she worked out what we had spent in the last 12 months. She has knocked £650 a month off our grocery shopping bill for a family of 4 adults since then ??
Royston?

FiF

36,817 posts

201 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
M&S Food store opening in Blackpool's Worcester in the old Lidl premises across the road from the new Lidl.

First 200 customers to get a golden discount ticket. No doubt the queue will start at pub closing the evening before. Not going to bother, let the argy bargy settle down before going near.

Otispunkmeyer

10,070 posts

105 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
I like these sort of puzzles.

A: The Waitrose beer was 2p.

He threw 'Waitrose' in there as a bit of a red herring. Sneaky, but he couldn't kid me.


Now, James' cousin is three times as old as his sister, and in three years will be half as old as the dog. How long is his fish?
Twice half it's length?

sparks_E46

11,035 posts

163 months

Monday 11th February 2019
quotequote all
We shop at Lidl for a lot of our stuff and Tesco for the rest. Our weekly shopping bill is usually around £25-£30 now (2 adults and a puppy)