Atrial Fibrillation

Atrial Fibrillation

Author
Discussion

colin_p

3,332 posts

179 months

Wednesday 10th February
quotequote all
schueymcfee said:
Interesting stuff, reading some of these comments reminded of an episode I had on NYE. The butterflies in the stomach and heart missing a beat rang true. I had assumed as I have previously had a massive heart attack it was just a wobble of that. The next day I felt fine. I took an ECG with my watch but I can't make head nor tale although it doesn't look normal. I'm on 5mg Bisoprolol and all the other goodies. I'd appreciate an opinion....

First and foremost, if this is happening often, see the doctor and if you feel dizzy, light headed or weak call 999, no if's, no but's, call 999.

If you have had a heart attack (plumbing) one of the things that can happen is that some of the heart muscle dies leaving scar tissue. This scar tissue can act as auxiliary pathway(s)s for the electrical signals to travel along within the heart. This is arrhythmia and is what is showing on your ECG trace.

As a "some bloke on the internet" and not being a doctor it is impossible to say what you ECG trace means with any certainty or authority so take my quackery with a pinch of salt, but...

I'd hazard as a fellow sufferer, a guess at those being "ventricular ectopics". I may be wrong and probably am.

schueymcfee

1,567 posts

232 months

Wednesday 10th February
quotequote all
colin_p said:
First and foremost, if this is happening often, see the doctor and if you feel dizzy, light headed or weak call 999, no if's, no but's, call 999.

If you have had a heart attack (plumbing) one of the things that can happen is that some of the heart muscle dies leaving scar tissue. This scar tissue can act as auxiliary pathway(s)s for the electrical signals to travel along within the heart. This is arrhythmia and is what is showing on your ECG trace.

As a "some bloke on the internet" and not being a doctor it is impossible to say what you ECG trace means with any certainty or authority so take my quackery with a pinch of salt, but...

I'd hazard as a fellow sufferer, a guess at those being "ventricular ectopics". I may be wrong and probably am.
thumbup

I've felt fine since then and it maybe happens once or twice a year. Thanks, I'll have a read up on those subjects.

Don1

Original Poster:

14,615 posts

175 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Signed off from the surgeon yesterday. All clear.

Apparently my graph showing 280bpm is quite rare as most people are a little.... Dead.

Stu-nph26

1,573 posts

72 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Don1 said:
Signed off from the surgeon yesterday. All clear.

Apparently my graph showing 280bpm is quite rare as most people are a little.... Dead.
That’s great news Don are you still in sinus rhythm?

280 is crazy what did you use to measure that reading? We’re you exercising?

Don1

Original Poster:

14,615 posts

175 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
I think I posted it earlier in the thread. Nope, gardening. Well, playing with my new wood chipper. hehe

Stu-nph26

1,573 posts

72 months

Saturday 27th February
quotequote all
Don1 said:
I think I posted it earlier in the thread. Nope, gardening. Well, playing with my new wood chipper. hehe
Blimey pleased it’s sorted for you anyway Don

Athlon

4,385 posts

173 months

Sunday 28th February
quotequote all
Interestingly I had my Covid jab yesterday and a few hours later I started having ectopic heartbeats which has carried on all night.

Very strange, not listed as a side effect (of which I had many last night!!) so maybe coincidence?

MXRod

2,020 posts

114 months

Friday 19th March
quotequote all
I have now had about 12weeks on bisoprolol ,and checking my own pulse ,I can still detect odd heart rhythm ,in this morning for a 24 hr EGG monitor , so have to see what's next after results are checked

Don1

Original Poster:

14,615 posts

175 months

Friday 19th March
quotequote all
Athlon said:
Interestingly I had my Covid jab yesterday and a few hours later I started having ectopic heartbeats which has carried on all night.

Very strange, not listed as a side effect (of which I had many last night!!) so maybe coincidence?
Missed this. Covid seems to be a cv impacting disease. The only mortality rates I could find were Italian, suggesting a 25% death rate for Af+Covid.

rdjohn

5,005 posts

162 months

Monday 22nd March
quotequote all
I am hoping to have my Covid jab on Wednesday, in France, so very dependent on EU supplies.

By coincidence, i am also hoping that my Cardio surgeon will sign me off on Friday following my Ablation last December and 7-day Holter, at the end of February.

Update, both jab and discharge done this week. I am free to get back to doing more exercise.

All in all, i feel my ablation has gone well. Apart from issues during weeks 4-12, after the procedure, it has all been fairly stress free.

Edited by rdjohn on Sunday 28th March 09:23

Don1

Original Poster:

14,615 posts

175 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
Bit of a strange one.... In the last two weeks, I've had to put two of my dogs down (Dobermans), and I'm on day three of heart/chest pain. It's occasional, a dull to sharp ache.

My private medical has finished (job change to being a civil servant), so not sure what to do. Heart reads fine, sounds fine.

Psychosomatic maybe? I now totally get broken heart syndrome. The second dog was my 'son', as I will never have kids.

mcelliott

7,184 posts

148 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
Don1 said:
Bit of a strange one.... In the last two weeks, I've had to put two of my dogs down (Dobermans), and I'm on day three of heart/chest pain. It's occasional, a dull to sharp ache.

My private medical has finished (job change to being a civil servant), so not sure what to do. Heart reads fine, sounds fine.

Psychosomatic maybe? I now totally get broken heart syndrome. The second dog was my 'son', as I will never have kids.
Yes that makes sense, tightness or pain is a symptom of someone going through a stressful time.

thepeoplespal

1,457 posts

244 months

Monday 26th April
quotequote all
Don1 said:
Bit of a strange one.... In the last two weeks, I've had to put two of my dogs down (Dobermans), and I'm on day three of heart/chest pain. It's occasional, a dull to sharp ache.

My private medical has finished (job change to being a civil servant), so not sure what to do. Heart reads fine, sounds fine.

Psychosomatic maybe? I now totally get broken heart syndrome. The second dog was my 'son', as I will never have kids.
It's tough losing a 'Dopey Dob', my dad's 'Pernod' took him from his drinking years to sobriety - hated drink, she died far to early and my dad spent his remaining years reminiscing about it.

grumpy52

4,702 posts

133 months

Thursday 6th May
quotequote all
I had a different episode to my normal flare up of AF . This time I had raised heart rate and high blood pressure along with recent fluid retention, swollen legs and very swollen feet .
Spent several hours in A+E followed by 10 hours on a CDU ward where I had drips and drugs including stuff to rid me of fluids . I filled 7 pee bottles in 4 hours !
My usual fare ups are fast heart rate but ultra low blood pressure .
They considered doing a cardioversion but my heart rate settled down sufficiently along with my blood pressure .

grumpy52

4,702 posts

133 months

Tuesday 22nd June
quotequote all
Yet another episode .
Lots of fluid retention, to the extent that it was very uncomfortable to be anything lower than an upright sitting position .
Ended up being sent to A+E and admitted to hospital. Twice daily drips to aid fluid removal . Blood pressure was up as was heart rate .
Now on the 8th day of my stay and I am amazed at the amount of fluid that I have lost. Footwear that was getting tight is now a couple of sizes too big .
On the plus side one of the junior doctors is absolutely stunning, tight red scrubs and a body of an 80s porn star , very stimulating for the heart !
Additional medications going forwards
+water tablets and a revision of fluid intake to a limit of 1.5L per day .

The Mad Monk

8,656 posts

84 months

Tuesday 22nd June
quotequote all
grumpy52 said:
Yet another episode .
Lots of fluid retention, to the extent that it was very uncomfortable to be anything lower than an upright sitting position .
Ended up being sent to A+E and admitted to hospital. Twice daily drips to aid fluid removal . Blood pressure was up as was heart rate .
Now on the 8th day of my stay and I am amazed at the amount of fluid that I have lost. Footwear that was getting tight is now a couple of sizes too big .
On the plus side one of the junior doctors is absolutely stunning, tight red scrubs and a body of an 80s porn star , very stimulating for the heart !
Additional medications going forwards
+water tablets and a revision of fluid intake to a limit of 1.5L per day .
Your episodes are more than simple AF?

Sorry if that is a SOTBO.

Athlon

4,385 posts

173 months

Tuesday 22nd June
quotequote all
Interesting to note that I am still having regular ectopic heart beats since the Covid jabs, previously I mainly had AF or SVT which three ablations have failed to resolve.
All very weird and to be honest, a touch demoralising now.

grumpy52

4,702 posts

133 months

Friday 25th June
quotequote all
Finally home after 9 days !
Lost lots of fluid !
Now had digoxin added to my meds , ramipril and a water tablet .
Blood pressure is the best it's been for years , heart rate is down to upper normal levels . Regular blood tests in the future and to spend as much time as possible with my feet elevated. All this on the day I received my first state pension payments.
On better news my youngest sister has been given the all clear after 6 months of treatment for throat cancer .

Don1

Original Poster:

14,615 posts

175 months

Friday 25th June
quotequote all
Good news all round.