Early 400 - options

Early 400 - options

Author
Discussion

BertBert

Original Poster:

13,921 posts

167 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
I am contemplating an Evora and quite like the idea of an early 400. Basically to get as much depreciation out the way as possible.

One thing I don't really know (much to my shame) is what options there were and which are the 'must haves'?

Sorry for the really basic question!

Cheers
Bert

Boylston

113 posts

147 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
I was contemplating the same last year. In Jan purchased a September 2015 Evora 400.

I had a look at a few, and generally they were the same spec. The only real big ticket options that were different between them was the cast .v. forged wheels. A chunky price different when spec'd.

Let me have a look in more details.

Oh and I'm LOVING the Evora! You won't be disappointed.

Simon

BertBert

Original Poster:

13,921 posts

167 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
Sounds good, thanks Simon. So there weren't any sports packs or performance packs or similar.

I'll be moving from a 997 GT3, so to all intents it might look like a strange move and a more obvious equivalent might be a GT430. My GT3 though is very high mileage (just under 180k) so it won't generate the funds for a higher level of Evora!

Bert

Boylston

113 posts

147 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
I've found the 2015 specification doc - http://www.lotusdriversguide.com/Downloads/Brochur...

Key parts are




Mine came with

Cruise control
Forged wheels
Leather pack
black pack
Paint

Simon

BertBert

Original Poster:

13,921 posts

167 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
Awesome, thanks. Who needs google when you have friends!

Boylston

113 posts

147 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
Glad to help.

When I looked most cars were similar spec other than some cast and some forged wheels. Some ads were incorrect so best to make sure you know on sight which is which.

430 has a few trick parts but is mega expensive compared to a 400. Plus a 400 can be easy mapped to 430 and with some simple hardware changed to 460 - see https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-evora/evora-4004...

The other advice when buying is to get the ECU printed out. It gives a clear record of how hard a life the car has had. e.g. mine has only spend 22sec of speed above 150kph and 3min of above 5500 rpm over 13,000 miles.

180k in a GT3 is impressive!

Simon


BertBert

Original Poster:

13,921 posts

167 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
Boylston said:
Glad to help.

When I looked most cars were similar spec other than some cast and some forged wheels. Some ads were incorrect so best to make sure you know on sight which is which.

430 has a few trick parts but is mega expensive compared to a 400. Plus a 400 can be easy mapped to 430 and with some simple hardware changed to 460 - see https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-evora/evora-4004...

The other advice when buying is to get the ECU printed out. It gives a clear record of how hard a life the car has had. e.g. mine has only spend 22sec of speed above 150kph and 3min of above 5500 rpm over 13,000 miles.

180k in a GT3 is impressive!

Simon
Thanks again, very helpful. It probably doesn't really need any more power (sacrilege I know) as the GT3 is 415bhp and a chunk heavier and it's way fast enough. I'd be more interested in understanding any handling options if there were any.

Good pointer re ECU readout. What gizmo is needed for that? A Lotus dealer?
Bert

alex_gray255

6,234 posts

161 months

Thursday 18th June
quotequote all
Have to admit, I was not that impressed by the 400. It seemed very much like the earlier 2010-2012 Evoras except more expensive.

The power was not really noticeable either.

Boylston

113 posts

147 months

Friday 19th June
quotequote all
Fair point on the pre-400. My original plan was to get a pre-400, but by the time I'd convinced myself that a last edition S sport racer was the target, I realized the £10k-£15k extra for an early 400 was worthwhile. The increments of inter-cooler (makes the komotec upgrades cheaper/easier), LSD, lower-sills, plus I preferred the more aggressive front style (but prefer the rear of the sports racers).

But that is just me. I totally agree that if you go early S you get something that is broadly the same, at a bargain price.

>> Good pointer re ECU readout. What gizmo is needed for that? A Lotus dealer?

Yeah I purchased from a Lotus dealer, as part of the deal asked for a few things to be addressed and included a request for the print out.

Simon

BertBert

Original Poster:

13,921 posts

167 months

Friday 19th June
quotequote all
Ah yes, I'm going around this loop a bit. It seems to me that from the S to the latest 430, could be viewed as many incremental changes with no real step change. And being keen to use one's toys budget cost effectively, is an S actually good enough? And very good value for money. Then for that matter is a nat asp Evora good enough and even better vfm?

It's all a bit tricky really biggrin

Bert

spanky3

198 posts

97 months

Friday 19th June
quotequote all
I went through the same process but in reverse.

I started out fancying a cheap 996 at £12k, then for £20k you can get a 997 with an engine that isn't made of cheese but then you're into Evora territory. Another few quid gets you a 2012 model with a nicer interior but then a bit more gets an S and the Sports Racer is a nice package for just another few quid, then another 15k and you're onto 400s.

I ended up set on a MY12 car and from experience knew that if I didn't get the 'S' I'd regret it and think I was missing out. The 400 was just a step too far when I'd initially set out for a cheap 2nd toy so I ended up with a 63 plate S Sport Racer. No regrets.

BertBert

Original Poster:

13,921 posts

167 months

Friday 19th June
quotequote all
Sounds like a good outcome. the thing I find strange is that most of the options are more trim related than performance related. No sports dampers/springs type options. Unless I have misread.
Bert

TdM-GTV

105 posts

173 months

Saturday 20th June
quotequote all
BertBert said:
Sounds like a good outcome. the thing I find strange is that most of the options are more trim related than performance related. No sports dampers/springs type options. Unless I have misread.
Bert
I think the point is that Lotus consider they've made their cars 'right'. The NA was a B road fun machine with enough power for that purpose and GT ability the S gave that who wanted it a bit more shove, you then get progressively more track focused as you head through the 400 to the GT line. The suspension is set up accordingly for it's intended use therefore 'no need' for suspension options as it would no longer be in balance with the intended use and design of that model.

That's how I read it anyway!

CTE

1,351 posts

196 months

Sunday 21st June
quotequote all
I think that`s about right and for me the sweet spot is the SR with a good (improved) practical interior and the best for the road ride/handling compromise. I do like the look (exterior) of the GT410`s even though there`s bugger all storage inside...and I think the spring/damper settings have been revised again?

cypriot

378 posts

55 months

Wednesday 24th June
quotequote all
with the newer 4XX generation of Evoras, there are no performance options for the cars. If you want sportier suspension and tyres, you have to go up a model so 400 -> 410 -> 430. I will add that you can just buy the sportier tyres (read michelin cup 2) for a 400, and you have a car that handles very similarly to a 410. Although from personal experience, I much preferred the standard Pilot Super Sports than the Cup 2s, even when tracking.

If you are planning on tracking your evora, you will want the newer 4XX generation and not the older S due to the charge cooler maintaining engine power during a track session. The older evoras suffer from heat soak.

BertBert

Original Poster:

13,921 posts

167 months

Wednesday 24th June
quotequote all
Thanks. I suspect that a 400 would be fine for me. Although, going round the loop as I don't expect to track it, I think the S would be good vfm for me.
I'm always stupidly indecisive about cars!

Inkyfingers

2,502 posts

185 months

Wednesday 24th June
quotequote all
I'm biased, but if you aren't going to track it and aren't worried about maximum performance, then I think the MY12+ Evora S is the sweet spot, unless you have the budget for one of the latest GT cars.

BertBert

Original Poster:

13,921 posts

167 months

Wednesday 24th June
quotequote all
Inkyfingers said:
I'm biased, but if you aren't going to track it and aren't worried about maximum performance, then I think the MY12+ Evora S is the sweet spot, unless you have the budget for one of the latest GT cars.
For me, I try to maximise my toys budget. I also have a hankering for an Elan as well, so getting the best bang for my buck is important!
Who are the best dealers for the Evora S then? I presume they are old in the tooth for the main Lotus dealers like B&C (near me in Surrey).
BErt

Inkyfingers

2,502 posts

185 months

Wednesday 24th June
quotequote all
BertBert said:
For me, I try to maximise my toys budget. I also have a hankering for an Elan as well, so getting the best bang for my buck is important!
Who are the best dealers for the Evora S then? I presume they are old in the tooth for the main Lotus dealers like B&C (near me in Surrey).
BErt
Give Jamie at B&C a call, though be warned he is very good at his job and if you go there you will end up buying a Lotus. Even if he doesn't have one in stock, he'll let you know when there is one on the radar.

There is also Hofmans in Henley (who I haven't used) and while Lotus Silverstone are a bit further afield, they have a good reputation. I'd give a few dealers a call, let then know what you want, have a chat, get some advice and see what happens.

Buying privately obviously comes with more risk, and though you will pay more from a dealer, it can be the start of a good relationship - for example, mine had a major component failure just outside warranty, which B&C were brilliant about; contacted Lotus and got them to cover most of the cost and B&C covered the rest.



blueg33

24,018 posts

180 months

Wednesday 24th June
quotequote all
BertBert said:
Inkyfingers said:
I'm biased, but if you aren't going to track it and aren't worried about maximum performance, then I think the MY12+ Evora S is the sweet spot, unless you have the budget for one of the latest GT cars.
For me, I try to maximise my toys budget. I also have a hankering for an Elan as well, so getting the best bang for my buck is important!
Who are the best dealers for the Evora S then? I presume they are old in the tooth for the main Lotus dealers like B&C (near me in Surrey).
BErt
If I like the car I am testing on Friday, my S will be for sale, although someone has already expressed interest.