Expiry of proof of no claims in Spain?

Expiry of proof of no claims in Spain?

Author
Discussion

Simon E

Original Poster:

148 posts

179 months

Wednesday 19th October 2016
quotequote all
I will be moving near Barcelona in the next month or two. I will have a full proof of no claims from Ireland but don't plan on buying a car straight away, maybe a year down the road. Question is will my proof of no claims expire within a certain period and then I start off at 0?

Here in Ireland they expire after 2 years if you don't take out a policy and then you get ridden hard when you go looking for a new policy.

eybic

9,212 posts

135 months

Wednesday 19th October 2016
quotequote all
I'd be surprised if a Spanish insurer will accept UK NCB.

Simon E

Original Poster:

148 posts

179 months

Wednesday 19th October 2016
quotequote all
Sorry should have been more clear, I'm from the Republic of Ireland so not UK, dunno if that will make any difference.


eybic

9,212 posts

135 months

Wednesday 19th October 2016
quotequote all
Simon E said:
Sorry should have been more clear, I'm from the Republic of Ireland so not UK, dunno if that will make any difference.
D'oh, I should have read it better. I don't know how EU NCB works and whether it's accepted throughout the EU or not.

mickrick

3,574 posts

134 months

Saturday 7th October 2017
quotequote all
They don't have NCB in Spain. If anything, they just keep putting the premiums up...

el romeral

579 posts

98 months

Sunday 8th October 2017
quotequote all
mickrick said:
They don't have NCB in Spain. If anything, they just keep putting the premiums up...
That is my experience too. Every year they try to hike the premiums and I have the usual fight on the phone, threaten to leave and sometimes manage to hold the price to previous year's level. I have never had a claim in 38 years of driving and it is so annoying that careful drivers are bailing out the accident prone ones to such a huge extent here.,

Edit:
Here is what I pay on my cars, as a reference. I am 54 and as mentioned no claims made ever. Cars are all in alarmed garage, off the road at no risk of flooding etc. I am away more than 33% of the year so all cover low kms.

2002 Mercedes ML55AMG €346 super - 3rd party 300xs
2000 Porsche Boxster S 3,2 €354 super - 3rd party 300xs
1996 Opel Vectra 2,5 CDX €190 - 3rd party only
2004 Chevrolet Kalos 1,2 €321 - 3rd party f&t (with 22yr old daughter on policy)

All except the Opel are with Linea Directa.

Edited by el romeral on Sunday 8th October 12:24

Duke of Kidderminster

702 posts

88 months

Monday 9th October 2017
quotequote all
el romeral said:
mickrick said:
They don't have NCB in Spain. If anything, they just keep putting the premiums up...
That is my experience too. Every year they try to hike the premiums and I have the usual fight on the phone, threaten to leave and sometimes manage to hold the price to previous year's level. I have never had a claim in 38 years of driving and it is so annoying that careful drivers are bailing out the accident prone ones to such a huge extent here.,

Edit:
Here is what I pay on my cars, as a reference. I am 54 and as mentioned no claims made ever. Cars are all in alarmed garage, off the road at no risk of flooding etc. I am away more than 33% of the year so all cover low kms.

2002 Mercedes ML55AMG €346 super - 3rd party 300xs
2000 Porsche Boxster S 3,2 €354 super - 3rd party 300xs
1996 Opel Vectra 2,5 CDX €190 - 3rd party only
2004 Chevrolet Kalos 1,2 €321 - 3rd party f&t (with 22yr old daughter on policy)

All except the Opel are with Linea Directa.

Edited by el romeral on Sunday 8th October 12:24
Not sure what you're doing wrong but I get a NCB with Pelayo.

And, no, they won't recognise your NCB from Ireland.



Mykap

538 posts

149 months

Monday 9th October 2017
quotequote all
With Spanish plated cars insurers base the premium on the car not the driver so NCB is not an issue. As an example our 2016 Vitara is 450 euros fully comp any driver over 21.

mickrick

3,574 posts

134 months

Tuesday 10th October 2017
quotequote all
I was with Linear Directa, until the fooked me over when I was involved in an accident which wasn't my fault.
They told me to get a hire car while mine was being fixed, then the other party insurance refused to pay up for the hire car.
I wrongly assumed that as we had full cover, they'd sort reimbursement. Wrong!
Linea paid the court costs for me to fight it in court, and I lost. I ended up several thousand out of pocket. And, lots of time running around, back and forth to court. fking useless!
Back with Mapfre now, a bit more expensive, but have always been fair. When I, or my Wife, have on rare occasions needed roadside assistance with breakdowns, recovery truck has been there on the button, and taken the car wherever we wanted, no questions.

el romeral

579 posts

98 months

Tuesday 24th October 2017
quotequote all
Just got the Boxster insurance renewal in from Linea Directa. They planned to hike the cost from €354 to €407 even though I have had another claim free year with all cars! Sent them a message and they phoned me back. They explained that this included my "free gift" which was that they pay the €300 excess when I have a claim!? I told them I was not in the habit of ever making claims and that I did not want this gimmick, I just wanted a decent quote and recognition for accident free driving. He came back with new price of €339 with no gift. It pays to argue as they do not want to lose customers. Reasonably happy with my €15 off last year's price.

Ashton400E

1 posts

39 months

Saturday 28th October 2017
quotequote all
I worked in the insurance industry for a long time and then in the legal profession against the insurance companies. They make massive profits. Most people never make a claim. They have about 6 percent of insurers who are troublesome and make numerous frequent claims, but that makes 94 percent who either never make a claim or make one once in a lifetime. They are not your friend. They are a necessary evil. Their profits are amazing and they don't like to pay out. I was told outright in dealing with an insurance company where their insured caused the death of another, where we represented the deceased family, quote, "We are not in the business of writing checks", unquote. They are heartless bdy and they are all the same... the executives bounce from company to company and they ate all in collusion. They hike rates because they can.

That is my experience too. Every year they try to hike the premiums and I have the usual fight on the phone, threaten to leave and sometimes manage to hold the price to previous year's level. I have never had a claim in 38 years of driving and it is so annoying that careful drivers are bailing out the accident prone ones to such a huge extent here.,

Edit:
Here is what I pay on my cars, as a reference. I am 54 and as mentioned no claims made ever. Cars are all in alarmed garage, off the road at no risk of flooding etc. I am away more than 33% of the year so all cover low kms.

2002 Mercedes ML55AMG €346 super - 3rd party 300xs
2000 Porsche Boxster S 3,2 €354 super - 3rd party 300xs
1996 Opel Vectra 2,5 CDX €190 - 3rd party only
2004 Chevrolet Kalos 1,2 €321 - 3rd party f&t (with 22yr old daughter on policy)

All except the Opel are with Linea Directa.

Edited by el romeral on Sunday 8th October 12:24

[/quote]