2L duratec cuts out upon hot restart

2L duratec cuts out upon hot restart

Author
Discussion

juliethotel

Original Poster:

252 posts

116 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
2007 S max with a 2L Duratec engine.

Car runs perfectly. When I restart it when it's hot it starts but then cuts out right away. The car can run hot for ages but only starts messing around upon a restart.

There's no eml on. The fact it runs so well rules out basic stuff like plugs and coil packs (you'd think)

EGR?

Where do I start?

E-bmw

6,199 posts

119 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
How long does it need to be off before restarting is an issue?

juliethotel

Original Poster:

252 posts

116 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
[quote=E-bmw]How long does it need to be off before restarting is an issue?[/quote

Yeah this is the other thing, it will run fine if restarted straight away but leaving it off for longer than a couple of mins and it starts screwing around.

finlo

2,398 posts

170 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
juliethotel said:
E-bmw said:
How long does it need to be off before restarting is an issue?[/quote

Yeah this is the other thing, it will run fine if restarted straight away but leaving it off for longer than a couple of mins and it starts screwing around.
Heat soak evaporating the fuel in the float bowl's of the SU carb!biggrin

E-bmw

6,199 posts

119 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
I would say either that of fuel fall back.

When you start it cold rather than warm do you allow the fuel pump to prime the system first?

LeftLake

50 posts

116 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
I have a MK2 focus with this engine, and have had a similar problem (pretty much since new). Definitely a fuel issue on starting when the engine is warm, and on hot sunny days. Usually find giving it a bit of gas when turning over (and you hear it starting to struggle) does the trick. On some occasions it has taken a few attempts to restart though!

juliethotel

Original Poster:

252 posts

116 months

Saturday 12th June
quotequote all
E-bmw said:
I would say either that of fuel fall back.

When you start it cold rather than warm do you allow the fuel pump to prime the system first?
Yes I always wait 2/3 seconds until cranking it whether it be hot or cold.

E-bmw

6,199 posts

119 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
juliethotel said:
E-bmw said:
I would say either that of fuel fall back.

When you start it cold rather than warm do you allow the fuel pump to prime the system first?
Yes I always wait 2/3 seconds until cranking it whether it be hot or cold.
OK, that would likely rule both out assuming it has the opportunity to fully prime.

john2443

5,494 posts

178 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
I had a similar thing on a Fiat which turned out to be crankshaft sensor. I have no idea if this is relevant to your car though!


meb90

233 posts

60 months

Sunday 13th June
quotequote all
LeftLake said:
I have a MK2 focus with this engine, and have had a similar problem (pretty much since new). Definitely a fuel issue on starting when the engine is warm, and on hot sunny days. Usually find giving it a bit of gas when turning over (and you hear it starting to struggle) does the trick. On some occasions it has taken a few attempts to restart though!
Ha! I have a Mk6 Fiesta ST, so the same engine. Always starts first time easily when cold, but if I turn it off hot and leave it for any length of time it needs a healthy dose of throttle to get it started!

I haven't got to the bottom of it yet as I have a work around, but I do have a crankshaft position sensor in the garage awaiting fitting in case that is it.