F1: Beyond The Grid Podcast

F1: Beyond The Grid Podcast

Author
Discussion

Teddy Lop

3,088 posts

22 months

Saturday 7th December 2019
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Gotta say, I just listened to, and did enjoy Bernie's episode.
Meh. There were an odd few interesting bits but on the whole I found it Bernie as we know him, enjoying the power of - or simply unable to stop - being so secretive. He wouldn't even tell Tom what kind of fking cows he has in his farm ffs. I'm pretty sure the only information Bernie would offer up is that which another fact he knows makes it misleading.


coppice

6,043 posts

99 months

Sunday 8th December 2019
quotequote all
I doubt if he even knows - and .weirdly , he is keeping them as pets he claims . He's yesterday;s man , appalling in period and now enjoying what passes for retirement in his world. The only podcast in this series from which I neither learned anything new nor even enjoyed very much. He lived down to my expectations . And Clarkson should know better than dismissing pre Ecclestone F1 as some amateur show- it may not have operated within BCE'e OCD framework but to the real enthusiast (as oppose to the casual fan) it was every bit as fascinating and majestic as it can be now .

OlonMusky

653 posts

9 months

Sunday 8th December 2019
quotequote all
Never listened to this podcast, just had a quick browse. Am I right that the host is the "talk me through it" guy?

ukaskew

5,865 posts

176 months

Wednesday 11th December 2019
quotequote all
Danny Ric was as good as expected. I think he did pretty well to sum up why left Red Bull without stepping on toes unneccassarily considering he is still an active driver.


cjm

467 posts

223 months

Thursday 12th December 2019
quotequote all
coppice said:
I doubt if he even knows - and .weirdly , he is keeping them as pets he claims . He's yesterday;s man , appalling in period and now enjoying what passes for retirement in his world. The only podcast in this series from which I neither learned anything new nor even enjoyed very much. He lived down to my expectations . And Clarkson should know better than dismissing pre Ecclestone F1 as some amateur show- it may not have operated within BCE'e OCD framework but to the real enthusiast (as oppose to the casual fan) it was every bit as fascinating and majestic as it can be now .
I thought it was pretty interesting to hear that it didn't seem to be his decision on sell.

tobinen

6,360 posts

100 months

Saturday 4th April
quotequote all

Teddy Lop

3,088 posts

22 months

Saturday 4th April
quotequote all
tobinen said:
few new'uns up, lando Norris and de la Rosa both interesting + enjoyable. Flabio briatore also enlightens us as to his being the most important thing ever in formula 1.

LaurasOtherHalf

17,285 posts

151 months

Saturday 4th April
quotequote all
The Pedro de la Rosa one was great, I often find it more enjoyable listening to the guys who aren’t the superstars.

HustleRussell

17,883 posts

115 months

Saturday 4th April
quotequote all
I think Lando is great but I found him pretty boring in a straight interview. He’s really entertaining in his element but in the podcast he actually came across as a person who has relatively little self confidence to me. It reminded me how young 20 is and how much growing there is still to do at that age.

Edited by HustleRussell on Saturday 4th April 16:02

Piginapoke

1,073 posts

140 months

Sunday 5th April
quotequote all
Teddy Lop said:
few new'uns up, lando Norris and de la Rosa both interesting + enjoyable. Flabio briatore also enlightens us as to his being the most important thing ever in formula 1.
The Mark Blundell one was surprisingly good!

Jinba Ittai

460 posts

46 months

Monday 6th April
quotequote all
The recent few have been really good. As mentioned above, Lando Norris comes across as terribly young and lacking in confidence. Or perhaps it’s just that I’m getting old?!?! Pedro De La Rosa seems to be a jolly nice chap, who was very diplomatic, but you could hear he could have said so much more. Mark Blundell was my pick of the last few, but I would have liked to hear more about his Indy career. A proper driver with massive balls.

sgtBerbatov

2,061 posts

36 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
Jinba Ittai said:
The recent few have been really good. As mentioned above, Lando Norris comes across as terribly young and lacking in confidence. Or perhaps it’s just that I’m getting old?!?! Pedro De La Rosa seems to be a jolly nice chap, who was very diplomatic, but you could hear he could have said so much more. Mark Blundell was my pick of the last few, but I would have liked to hear more about his Indy career. A proper driver with massive balls.
I don't think Norris came across as lacking confidence. I think a lack of life experience came across though, especially when you compare him to De La Rosa, Blundell and Brabham.

Brabham and Blundell's episodes for me were great. I grew up watching De La Rosa, but never knew much about Blundell and Brabham. So it was good to find out more about them.

LaurasOtherHalf

17,285 posts

151 months

Thursday 9th April
quotequote all
Really like Lando but it would seem he doesn't come across as the single minded future world champion to me. I'd even say lacking in confidence a bit too.

Anyone remember when he was the jnr driver at McLaren and in one session they had him being the tea boy to Alonso? I'm sorry but that's not a future world champion. Can you imagine Ron asking Lewis to make the teas during FP1 when he was with them?

entropy

3,831 posts

158 months

Saturday 11th April
quotequote all
Jinba Ittai said:
Mark Blundell was my pick of the last few, but I would have liked to hear more about his Indy career. A proper driver with massive balls.
https://marshallpruett.podbean.com/e/mp-791-the-week-in-indycar-april-8-with-mark-blundell/


LaurasOtherHalf said:
Really like Lando but it would seem he doesn't come across as the single minded future world champion to me. I'd even say lacking in confidence a bit too.

Anyone remember when he was the jnr driver at McLaren and in one session they had him being the tea boy to Alonso? I'm sorry but that's not a future world champion. Can you imagine Ron asking Lewis to make the teas during FP1 when he was with them?
He's young and just started his F1 career with not much expectation nor, arguably, much competitive battle with his teammate as things tend to not have gone right for Sainz in quali last year cf. being at war with Max Verstappen at Torro Rosso.

You can only keep an open mind and hope the competitive stakes get higher for Lando to see how he reacts.

Lots of people thought it was refreshing to see Vettel being cheery, polite and a taste for British comedies but I thought I was the only one it was too good to be true and now he's a pantomime villain. How time flies!

Or how about Smiley Danny Ricc? Was there a steely, selfish, determined streak lurking behind that smile? He's gambled his future at Renault and has not minced his words on why he left - RBR favouring Max, apparently.

carinaman

15,285 posts

127 months

Monday 13th April
quotequote all
LaurasOtherHalf said:
The Pedro de la Rosa one was great, I often find it more enjoyable listening to the guys who aren’t the superstars.
It was. I am a Kimi fan so I found the his insights on Kimi's needs from a car interesting. Nice to hear de la Rosa rave about the V10s.

Edited by carinaman on Monday 13th April 22:10

Teddy Lop

3,088 posts

22 months

Friday 17th April
quotequote all
John Barnard was intersting, not afraid to call it like see's it.

Probably doesn't exchange Christmas cards with flavlaugh

coppice

6,043 posts

99 months

Friday 17th April
quotequote all
If you have not read his book , I can very much recommend it . The Perfect Car .

Intriguingly , JB sounds far more laid back now than in his pomp , when he was known by some as the Prince of Darkness.

BTW , the coda to his anecdote about putting a stop to the Ferrari mechanics' Lambrusco fuelled lunches (true - I've seen it !)was that JB , when working at GTO and McLaren , made a big point of going home for lunch...

Piginapoke

1,073 posts

140 months

Friday 17th April
quotequote all
I thought the JB one was ok, but I wished it had focussed a bit more on the cars he designed. The B191 was a really interesting car at the time, but it wasn’t really mentioned for example, same as a good few Ferrari’s.

Yes, I am an F1 anorak.

tobinen

6,360 posts

100 months

Saturday 18th April
quotequote all
I liked the Barnard one. A bit more on the Benetton days would have been appreciated.

I think I'll seek out the Motor Sport Frank Dernie one again on YouTube

sgtBerbatov

2,061 posts

36 months

Sunday 19th April
quotequote all
I'd have liked to have heard about his experiences at Arrows and Prost. More so with Arrows, as it'd have been good to get an insight in to Tom Walkinshaw in this period too.

Thing is with these podcasts, they always seem to gravitate back to Michael Schumacher in one form or another. I know the man isn't well, but there is more to F1 than Schumacher.