F1: Beyond The Grid Podcast

F1: Beyond The Grid Podcast

Author
Discussion

coppice

6,043 posts

99 months

Sunday 19th April
quotequote all
I enjoy them , but Tom Clarkson does tend to lead interviewees in the direction of Senna or Schumacher wherever he can. I realise that this is branded an F1 podcast ,and much of the audience might not share my interest in motor sport generally but I do get irritated at the F1 emphasis .
I am very happy to hear about the Formula Ford adventures of Hill , Blundell and Herbert, or Sato's amazing pace in F3 (all of which I watched in period ) and I'd like to have heard more about Indy from Villeneuve.

Piginapoke

1,073 posts

140 months

Monday 20th April
quotequote all
Very good (and recent) JB MotorSport interview here:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article...

rdjohn

4,207 posts

150 months

Monday 20th April
quotequote all
Piginapoke said:
Very good (and recent) JB MotorSport interview here:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article...
Good read - might look for the book.

tobinen

6,361 posts

100 months

Thursday 23rd April
quotequote all
Nick Heidfeld up. Quite interesting. It would've been nice to see him a bit longer in F1

rallycross

10,942 posts

192 months

Saturday 2nd May
quotequote all
I think this is the best one in the series, a fascinating chat with Julian Jacobi (manager of Senna, Prost and many other stars).

https://youtu.be/HswrdbM0q40


The interview is very much a focus on his relationship with Senna hence some very interesting comments, possibly the best thing I have learned about Senna.

cgt2

1,612 posts

143 months

Sunday 3rd May
quotequote all
rallycross said:
I think this is the best one in the series, a fascinating chat with Julian Jacobi (manager of Senna, Prost and many other stars).

https://youtu.be/HswrdbM0q40


The interview is very much a focus on his relationship with Senna hence some very interesting comments, possibly the best thing I have learned about Senna.
Agreed, fills in context on a few things I read over the years and heard directly from two people I know who were close to Senna.

Williams had planned to have Prost and Senna for 1993 with a lot of money involved from Renault and Elf (Mansell's early retirement was all about this too) but Alain vetoed it as per his contract hence why Hill was a last minute substitute. Then it was going to happen again for 1994 but Prost retired having won another championship. Frank and Alain Prost have each commented on these situations a few times.

Also good that he filled out the background to their dynamic, I remember reading that Prost was the one that urged Ron to sign Senna for 1988. And how it all came full circle towards the end, good to hear Ayrton's family was involved with Prost after his death. Also explains that radio message on the morning of Imola.

tobinen

6,361 posts

100 months

Tuesday 5th May
quotequote all
Agreed on Julian Jakobi, some very interesting information and I'd never heard of him before. I bet he has even more stories that can't be made public.

HTP99

16,511 posts

95 months

Tuesday 5th May
quotequote all
I've just recently got into this, I'm not going through in any particular order, just picking ones that I feel I'd be more interested in, currently I'm on the Hakkinen one.

I wasn't overly keen on the Barrichello, he seemed a bit self centred and bitter.

Edited by HTP99 on Tuesday 5th May 10:07

cgt2

1,612 posts

143 months

Tuesday 5th May
quotequote all
HTP99 said:
I've just recently got into this, I'm not going through in any particular order, just picking ones that I feel I'd be more interested in, currently I'm on the Hakkinen one.

I wasn't overly keen on the Barrichello, he seemed a bit self centred and bitter.

Edited by HTP99 on Tuesday 5th May 10:07
Similar to Irvine, Herbert and maybe even Brundle. A year or two driving as Schumacher's team mate in his prime getting pummeled daily can't have been easy, whatever the financial rewards!

HTP99

16,511 posts

95 months

Tuesday 5th May
quotequote all
cgt2 said:
HTP99 said:
I've just recently got into this, I'm not going through in any particular order, just picking ones that I feel I'd be more interested in, currently I'm on the Hakkinen one.

I wasn't overly keen on the Barrichello, he seemed a bit self centred and bitter.

Edited by HTP99 on Tuesday 5th May 10:07
Similar to Irvine, Herbert and maybe even Brundle. A year or two driving as Schumacher's team mate in his prime getting pummeled daily can't have been easy, whatever the financial rewards!
I also didn't like the fact that he seemed to think that he was entitled to the championship that Jenson won he was very bitter about that too. His podcast gave me a very different view about him than I had before.

Listening to Blundell's one, it's interesting that some drivers had signed up to teams just assuming they would be racing whereas they were actually only going to be testing, makes you wonder about what they though they were signing when it came to their contracts.

He also comes across as a really nice and straight talking guy, however probably too nice though.

Teddy Lop

3,088 posts

22 months

Tuesday 5th May
quotequote all
HTP99 said:
I also didn't like the fact that he seemed to think that he was entitled to the championship that Jenson won he was very bitter about that too. His podcast gave me a very different view about him than I had before.
I think a sense of entitlement is a pre requisite to winning an F1 title

Ruebens, I can see where you come from but it must be hard to believe you can do it and have the car but be hamstrung by having to play no2 at team-schurarri, then to unbelievably get your second bite of the cherry of being in the right car, only for buttons initial success/title chances really leaving the team little choice but to intervene in his favour. That's some real butt-hurt to deal with.

coppice

6,043 posts

99 months

Tuesday 5th May
quotequote all
I found Barrichello likeable , decent and endearingly emotional. Self centred ? Not sure how you get to his level if you aren't. Bitter? Not at all - but like most drivers he might say 'regrets , I've had a few '.

I must admit that I've found most driver centred podcasts revealing and enjoyable - with the exception of some of Mansell's trademark whingeing . The Ecclestone 'interview ' was slightly better than I expected , as it wasn't quite all the sort of gnomic drivel I had expected .

Pebbles167

2,301 posts

107 months

Tuesday 5th May
quotequote all
Still enjoying the Podcast, I'd say I've listened to about 80-90% over the last 8 months, in no real order.

Only one I can think of that I didnt enjoy so much was the Lando Norris one, which is strange as I'm a big fan of his. He just didnt have much to say. I suppose everyone has good and bad days perhaps.

As some of the posters have said before, I'd like to hear more about the personal lives and other endeavors of the interviewees, without it having to stay to F1 quite so rigidly. This does happen on some of them though, and we get to hear about LeMans and their businesses.

Overall, great podcast.

cgt2

1,612 posts

143 months

Tuesday 5th May
quotequote all
HTP99 said:
I also didn't like the fact that he seemed to think that he was entitled to the championship that Jenson won he was very bitter about that too. His podcast gave me a very different view about him than I had before.

Listening to Blundell's one, it's interesting that some drivers had signed up to teams just assuming they would be racing whereas they were actually only going to be testing, makes you wonder about what they though they were signing when it came to their contracts.

He also comes across as a really nice and straight talking guy, however probably too nice though.
My vague recollection is that he did perform more strongly than JB in the second half of the season but by that point JB had accumulated a hefty lead.

I know MB in the real world. Lovely, genuine guy and very happy about his life in F1.

coppice

6,043 posts

99 months

Wednesday 6th May
quotequote all
One of the best drives I've seen at this level was of Mark in FF1600 at Cadwell . It was a pure red mist , elbows out , get out of my f***g way recovery drive from the back of the field after being punted off in the opening laps. He probably doesn't remember it ,but I certainly do; that was in 85 , in the Abbey Life RF85

entropy

3,831 posts

158 months

Monday 11th May
quotequote all
sgtBerbatov said:
I'd have liked to have heard about his experiences at Arrows and Prost. More so with Arrows, as it'd have been good to get an insight in to Tom Walkinshaw in this period too.

Thing is with these podcasts, they always seem to gravitate back to Michael Schumacher in one form or another. I know the man isn't well, but there is more to F1 than Schumacher.
Extraordinary talent will forever be fascinating. If it was about the 1960s it would be all about Clark yet Gurney would be overlooked and under-appreciated even though the American was the driver Clark most feared.


cgt2 said:
rallycross said:
I think this is the best one in the series, a fascinating chat with Julian Jacobi (manager of Senna, Prost and many other stars).

https://youtu.be/HswrdbM0q40


The interview is very much a focus on his relationship with Senna hence some very interesting comments, possibly the best thing I have learned about Senna.
Agreed, fills in context on a few things I read over the years and heard directly from two people I know who were close to Senna.
Agreed! I'm surprised he's not interviewed more often.

cgt2 said:
My vague recollection is that he did perform more strongly than JB in the second half of the season but by that point JB had accumulated a hefty lead.
Rubens was hampered by being on the wrong strategy more often than not in the first half of that season whereas JB's was more flexible and benefited him the most. Paranoia is a racing driver's own worst enemy. As much as I do think RB has sense of entitlement I do sympathise and he wears his heart on his sleeve

RobM77

34,203 posts

189 months

Monday 11th May
quotequote all
My lack of commute means I've lapsed on listening to this recently. I put John Barnard on whilst mowing the lawn on Saturday though and really enjoyed it. Tom: if you're listening, more engineers and designers please! smile I've now put John's book on my reading list.

carinaman

15,287 posts

127 months

Friday 15th May
quotequote all
I reckon these are great podcasts. I've just seen Brundle has done one.

RobM77

34,203 posts

189 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
carinaman said:
I reckon these are great podcasts. I've just seen Brundle has done one.
Brundle’s was really good. Derek Warwick’s was worth a listen too.

Teddy Lop

3,088 posts

22 months

Saturday 16th May
quotequote all
Tom Clarksons co-hosting another weekly podcast, F1 nation, which I understand is a temporary lockdown idea, its a bit more lighthearted although they've had some good guests on too, found it quite enjoyable.