Helmet standards

Author
Discussion

BertBert

Original Poster:

12,190 posts

148 months

Wednesday 21st November 2018
quotequote all
My snell 2005 lid expires this year, so I need a new one over the winter (for UK circuit racing). Are there any standards to avoid that will be ended soon? Is it complex to get a helmet that is compatible with the tethers on my HANS? All info gratefully received.
Thanks
Bert

df76

1,808 posts

215 months

Wednesday 21st November 2018
quotequote all
All other SNELL standards expire at the end of 2023, so I'd be buying a new helmet with one of the following:

FIA 8860-2010
FIA 8859-2015

Don't believe that this would limit the use of any HANS tethers, but worth checking with the seller,

shirt

18,621 posts

138 months

Thursday 22nd November 2018
quotequote all
Hans intercompatability:


BertBert

Original Poster:

12,190 posts

148 months

Thursday 22nd November 2018
quotequote all
Thanks both.
Bert

HustleRussell

15,553 posts

97 months

Friday 23rd November 2018
quotequote all
df76 said:
All other SNELL standards expire at the end of 2023
Do they though? I have noticed that the expiration date of Snell standards pretty regularly get pushed back.
Advertisement

BertBert

Original Poster:

12,190 posts

148 months

Friday 23rd November 2018
quotequote all
When I googled the Snell standards, the expiry for 2005 often comes up as dec 31st 2017 which it clearly didn't do! So I assume that got extended.
Bert

HustleRussell

15,553 posts

97 months

Friday 23rd November 2018
quotequote all
BertBert said:
When I googled the Snell standards, the expiry for 2005 often comes up as dec 31st 2017 which it clearly didn't do! So I assume that got extended.
Bert
Just checked the blue book, not so sure anymore, SA2005 was indeed extended but only to the end of 2018, and SA2010 and 2015 are both 'not valid after 2023'.

df76

1,808 posts

215 months

Friday 23rd November 2018
quotequote all
HustleRussell said:
df76 said:
All other SNELL standards expire at the end of 2023
Do they though? I have noticed that the expiration date of Snell standards pretty regularly get pushed back.
My understanding is that the FIA is no longer happy with the way SNELL test the HANS device mounts. So they are no longer supporting SNELL certification. This is a global issue and filters down through Motorsport UK. Very much doubt that this date will be pushed back.

If you look at all the very latest helmets on sale, they all reference only the FIA certification, so shouldn't be an issue for those now buying.

BertBert

Original Poster:

12,190 posts

148 months

Friday 23rd November 2018
quotequote all
df76 said:
If you look at all the very latest helmets on sale, they all reference only the FIA certification, so shouldn't be an issue for those now buying.
That's good news!

majordad

3,126 posts

134 months

Monday 26th November 2018
quotequote all
I noticed at the CSCC Spa round n June the helmet standard was FIA not Snell.

BertBert

Original Poster:

12,190 posts

148 months

Monday 26th November 2018
quotequote all
majordad said:
I noticed at the CSCC Spa round n June the helmet standard was FIA not Snell.
The euro races done under uk auspices (such as not needing an intl licence) are always complex. It's the same with fire extinguishers.
Bert

kevski321

15 posts

111 months

Monday 26th November 2018
quotequote all
this is a good understandable article on helmet standards

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/knowledge_base_...


BertBert

Original Poster:

12,190 posts

148 months

Thursday 10th January
quotequote all
shirt said:
Hans intercompatability:
Resurrecting this as I am looking in anger now, starting at Autosport tomorrow.

However, I'm not sure I understand the diagram.

Boxes on the left show which tethers can be in which HANS.
Boxes on the right show which HANS posts can go on which helmets.

Do the interconnecting lines say that any valid HANS/tether combination from the LHS can go with any valid Helmet/post combination on the RHS?

Thus if I have an existing valid HANS/tether setup (which I do - FIA 8858-2002), I can't really go wrong buying a new helmet with the posts fitted?

Although the diagram doesn't have FIA 8860-2018 helmets I assume the same applies?

Cheers
Bert

BertBert

Original Poster:

12,190 posts

148 months

Thursday 10th January
quotequote all
although on looking further, 8860-2018 looks to be an ultra-safe F1 helmet, not even remotely in my price bracket!

df76

1,808 posts

215 months

Thursday 10th January
quotequote all
BertBert said:
Do the interconnecting lines say that any valid HANS/tether combination from the LHS can go with any valid Helmet/post combination on the RHS?
Correct.

The diagram is a few years old, so predates the very latest 2018 spec (for very expensive helmets!).

BertBert

Original Poster:

12,190 posts

148 months

Thursday 10th January
quotequote all
df76 said:
Correct.

The diagram is a few years old, so predates the very latest 2018 spec (for very expensive helmets!).
Thanks for the confirmation and on the basis I am trying to be budget focused, I won't be buying a 2018 spec one!
Bert

shirt

18,621 posts

138 months

Thursday 10th January
quotequote all
You are correct, but I doubt you will see any current range which is 2002.