Williams F1

Williams F1

Author
Discussion

rdjohn

3,788 posts

142 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
I know a guy with a Motorsport degree who is having the time of his life.

Rising through a mid-grid team very quickly after just 1-year. At 25, he is on £60k and everything provided from the moment he walks out of his home.

At 8, he really wanted to be a WRC mechanic - this certainly beats lying on you back in an unheated and cramped compound.

F1 is a beacon of success in a fairly moribund UK economy.

DOCG

72 posts

1 month

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
rdjohn said:
I know a guy with a Motorsport degree who is having the time of his life.

Rising through a mid-grid team very quickly after just 1-year. At 25, he is on £60k and everything provided from the moment he walks out of his home.

At 8, he really wanted to be a WRC mechanic - this certainly beats lying on you back in an unheated and cramped compound.

F1 is a beacon of success in a fairly moribund UK economy.
Moribund relative to what? Real GDP growth is in-line with other developed economies.

Petrus1983

2,710 posts

109 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
I was just reading that Christian Horner believes 2020 will be the most expensive season yet - with basically a 2020 team, and a 2021 advanced team operating at the same time before the budget cap comes in. I highly doubt Williams will have the budget to operate at that kinda level so will be on the back foot again going into 2021.

skinny

4,836 posts

182 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
Petrus1983 said:
I was just reading that Christian Horner believes 2020 will be the most expensive season yet - with basically a 2020 team, and a 2021 advanced team operating at the same time before the budget cap comes in. I highly doubt Williams will have the budget to operate at that kinda level so will be on the back foot again going into 2021.
I'm guessing absolutely minimal expenditure on their 2020 car - no point developing what they've got for it to quickly become irrelevant. Put some students on it, see what they can come up with.

Petrus1983

2,710 posts

109 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
skinny said:
I'm guessing absolutely minimal expenditure on their 2020 car - no point developing what they've got for it to quickly become irrelevant. Put some students on it, see what they can come up with.
Yes - that makes a lot more sense!

TheDeuce

3,462 posts

13 months

Friday 8th November
quotequote all
Petrus1983 said:
skinny said:
I'm guessing absolutely minimal expenditure on their 2020 car - no point developing what they've got for it to quickly become irrelevant. Put some students on it, see what they can come up with.
Yes - that makes a lot more sense!
If they can just focus on a suitable stock of spare parts going in to 2020 that would make their season a lot easier! And less embarrassing.

Another benefit of not changing anything major - the car will arrive for winter testing on time.

Unless they manage to secure sponsorship or seat selling revenue in excess of this season I can't see how they have any sort of development budget to speak of really. Not for 2020 or by extension 2021. That's surely an issue as the 2021 car has to be a ground up effort and serious money is needed to design a new car, just to get it functioning within the new regs, before even trying to make it competitive.

This is why I really don't expect the team ownership to remain as it is by the end of next season.