Zandvoort to replace Barcleona in 2020?

Zandvoort to replace Barcleona in 2020?

Author
Discussion

Vaud

32,063 posts

96 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Deesee said:
It’s on

https://mobile.twitter.com/F1/status/1128223453532...

Quick Eurostar or road trip to Amsterdam!
Hmm... flight to Schipol... easy for me... I guess Amsterdam will have the best hotel capacity, and then train to Zandvoort aan Zee... only a 1km walk to the circuit.


Drew106

Original Poster:

666 posts

86 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Yup, just confirmed.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.dutch-g...

I think I might go! smile

StevieBee

7,402 posts

196 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Excellent.

I look forward to news of the return of Brands Hatch and Watkins Glen shortly!

TheDeuce

1,482 posts

7 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Could be a nice trip, a GP followed by a couple of days on the beach smile

Always good to have a 'new' circuit, takes the driver's out of their comfort zone.

Vaud

32,063 posts

96 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Could be a nice trip, a GP followed by a couple of days on the beach smile
+ Amsterdam
+ Utrecht is a very nice city for a day (like a smaller, less seedy Amsterdam)

Advertisement

Eric Mc

106,130 posts

206 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
StevieBee said:
Excellent.

I look forward to news of the return of Brands Hatch and Watkins Glen shortly!
Sadly, adapting tracks like these to conform to modern F1 requirements would most likely destroy them.

thegreenhell

5,486 posts

160 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
Sadly, adapting tracks like these to conform to modern F1 requirements would most likely destroy them.
We haven't yet seen what they'll need to do to Zandvoort to get it to F1 grade.

Bullitt Five-Oh

664 posts

8 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
Eric Mc said:
Sadly, adapting tracks like these to conform to modern F1 requirements would most likely destroy them.
We haven't yet seen what they'll need to do to Zandvoort to get it to F1 grade.
They'll give it a lick of orange paint...

Vaud

32,063 posts

96 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
We haven't yet seen what they'll need to do to Zandvoort to get it to F1 grade.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143114/what-zand...

Eric Mc

106,130 posts

206 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
Eric Mc said:
Sadly, adapting tracks like these to conform to modern F1 requirements would most likely destroy them.
We haven't yet seen what they'll need to do to Zandvoort to get it to F1 grade.
Zandvoort has been through many changes over the years so a lot of its old character has already been lost. I was thinking more of Brands.

The main thing that happens is the inclusion of massive run off - followed by moving spectators well away from the action - followed by smoothing out the surface and neutering the racing circuit itself - followed by massive infrastructure changes at great cost to the circuit owner - followed by circuit going bankrupt.

thegreenhell

5,486 posts

160 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Vaud said:
thegreenhell said:
We haven't yet seen what they'll need to do to Zandvoort to get it to F1 grade.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143114/what-zand...
So just changes to the layout, runoff areas, pits, paddock and grandstands...

Deesee

2,126 posts

24 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
Vaud said:
thegreenhell said:
We haven't yet seen what they'll need to do to Zandvoort to get it to F1 grade.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143114/what-zand...
So just changes to the layout, runoff areas, pits, paddock and grandstands...
It’s grade 2 so lots...

https://www.fia.com/circuit-safety

thegreenhell

5,486 posts

160 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Ricciardo says 'awesome' Zandvoort won't be an exciting race

https://www.motorsportweek.com/news/id/22777

dc2rr07

1,103 posts

172 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
thegreenhell said:
Vaud said:
thegreenhell said:
We haven't yet seen what they'll need to do to Zandvoort to get it to F1 grade.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/143114/what-zand...
So just changes to the layout, runoff areas, pits, paddock and grandstands...
and media centre, a lot to do in one year scratchchin

Vaud

32,063 posts

96 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
dc2rr07 said:
and media centre, a lot to do in one year scratchchin
Media center and grandstands are probably the easiest as they can be temporary structures. Plenty of mobile media centers set up for events. They may not be perfect for year one, but easy to do.

Eric Mc

106,130 posts

206 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
The spectre of what happened to Donington should loom large in the minds of any circuit owners who want to pander to the fickle needs of F1.

Cold

6,757 posts

31 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Eric Mc said:
The spectre of what happened to Donington should loom large in the minds of any circuit owners who want to pander to the fickle needs of F1.
Did anyone actually believe that Donington was going host an F1 race during that fiasco?

SmoothCriminal

2,384 posts

140 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Sounds like another hungbororing only this time to feed verstappen EGO and line liberty's pockets

Eric Mc

106,130 posts

206 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
Cold said:
Did anyone actually believe that Donington was going host an F1 race during that fiasco?
Donington did - and that is all that matters.

Allyc85

6,848 posts

127 months

Tuesday 14th May
quotequote all
SmoothCriminal said:
Sounds like another hungbororing only this time to feed verstappen EGO and line liberty's pockets
Completely agreed, Verstappen doesn't seem bothered by it as he already considers Spa a home race!

Shame that they couldn't use Assen, especially as they showed they didn't need to change much, and it would of had a minimal effect on the bike racing there!