Official Italian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Official Italian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Author
Discussion

Sixpackpert

3,927 posts

159 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
Drive Blind said:
what have we got on the outside of parabolica this year ?

grass? gravel? tarmac? astroturf? speed bumps?
I’ve cream vans?

cuprabob

7,915 posts

159 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
Sixpackpert said:
Drive Blind said:
what have we got on the outside of parabolica this year ?

grass? gravel? tarmac? astroturf? speed bumps?
I’ve cream vans?
Nope, Maccy Ds Drive Thru'

Sixpackpert

3,927 posts

159 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
cuprabob said:
Sixpackpert said:
Drive Blind said:
what have we got on the outside of parabolica this year ?

grass? gravel? tarmac? astroturf? speed bumps?
I’ve cream vans?
Nope, Maccy Ds Drive Thru'
Kimi will have to settle for a McFlurry then!

cuprabob

7,915 posts

159 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
Sixpackpert said:
cuprabob said:
Sixpackpert said:
Drive Blind said:
what have we got on the outside of parabolica this year ?

grass? gravel? tarmac? astroturf? speed bumps?
I’ve cream vans?
Nope, Maccy Ds Drive Thru'
Kimi will have to settle for a McFlurry then!
clap

TheDeuce

2,797 posts

11 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
Let's just say.. if Ferrari and/or vettel make a mess of this race again this year, my eyebrows will be seriously raised!

Should be a pretty solid chance for Ferrari here. For the sake of the championship not being completely a foregone conclusion I hope they do very well.

I always kind of hope for a Ferrari victory here, if only so I don't have to witness the vile tifosi reaction to anyone else who wins.

parabolica

5,030 posts

129 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
Drive Blind said:
what have we got on the outside of parabolica this year ?

grass? gravel? tarmac? astroturf? speed bumps?
Jeans and t-shirt mate.

Clockwork Cupcake

61,161 posts

217 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
parabolica said:
Jeans and t-shirt mate.
hehe

Deesee

2,756 posts

28 months

Deesee

2,756 posts

28 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
So Ferrari will be using PU3 update here, which is actually not the PU3 update that Alfa and Hass run last week, confused yes, against sporting regs quite possibly....

TheDeuce

2,797 posts

11 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
Deesee said:
So Ferrari will be using PU3 update here, which is actually not the PU3 update that Alfa and Hass run last week, confused yes, against sporting regs quite possibly....
Is there any reason they can't call it pu3 still, despite it going through some further tweaks/changes? Providing the same is made available to their customers of course. They may have given it an updated part number in the view of FIA but still refer to it as the third version of this year's PU for press purposes.

A bit like a Mk7 golf is tweaked midlife, but still Mk7 etc.

Derek Smith

33,987 posts

193 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Let's just say.. if Ferrari and/or vettel make a mess of this race again this year, my eyebrows will be seriously raised!

Should be a pretty solid chance for Ferrari here. For the sake of the championship not being completely a foregone conclusion I hope they do very well.

I always kind of hope for a Ferrari victory here, if only so I don't have to witness the vile tifosi reaction to anyone else who wins.
The problem with the Ferrari team is that, at times of high expectation, they tend to lose concentration. A new PU. New is bad news. Ferrari and new sort of don't go together.

Merc need a challenge from them.

I wondered last week whether Merc could have turned up the wick on Hamilton's car in the latter stages of the race, to get him on terms, rather like RB did with Verstappen. They bottled out because, at least after Monza, there are tracks where they should walk it and an engine failure would be a bad idea.


Deesee

2,756 posts

28 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Deesee said:
So Ferrari will be using PU3 update here, which is actually not the PU3 update that Alfa and Hass run last week, confused yes, against sporting regs quite possibly....
Is there any reason they can't call it pu3 still, despite it going through some further tweaks/changes? Providing the same is made available to their customers of course. They may have given it an updated part number in the view of FIA but still refer to it as the third version of this year's PU for press purposes.

A bit like a Mk7 golf is tweaked midlife, but still Mk7 etc.
Well it’s quite probably PU4, or PU3+, the days of works teams running preferred PU were over a few years back.. & this is not a marketing exercise, it can run the quali mode in the race (finally) and that mode is not available to the customer teams which have the same labelled PU..

TheDeuce

2,797 posts

11 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
Derek Smith said:
The problem with the Ferrari team is that, at times of high expectation, they tend to lose concentration. A new PU. New is bad news. Ferrari and new sort of don't go together.

Merc need a challenge from them.

I wondered last week whether Merc could have turned up the wick on Hamilton's car in the latter stages of the race, to get him on terms, rather like RB did with Verstappen. They bottled out because, at least after Monza, there are tracks where they should walk it and an engine failure would be a bad idea.
Due to watching from a construction site last week, I missed a lot of detail. I had assumed because of Hamilton's charge at the end they had turned it up.. Was it just the mercs superior tyre management that aided his charge? It never looked like he would pass CLC to me, but another 1-2 laps and he would have been able to make a serious few attempts I think.

TheDeuce

2,797 posts

11 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Well it’s quite probably PU4, or PU3+, the days of works teams running preferred PU were over a few years back.. & this is not a marketing exercise, it can run the quali mode in the race (finally) and that mode is not available to the customer teams which have the same labelled PU..
I thought all modes had to be available, as did whatever updates? That rule is surely pretty black and white. It's a rule that exists because fom/fia really care about perceived fairness in that regard and it's a pretty risky rule to break no!?

DanielSan

14,361 posts

112 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145784/albon-red...

Kvyat isn't bitter about not being chosen then...

paua

1,274 posts

88 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
ajprice said:
Verstappen and Gasly's turn to start from the back of the grid, because engines. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49579320
These two to take each other out on first lap. wink

dunc_sx

1,039 posts

142 months

Thursday 5th September
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145784/albon-red...

Kvyat isn't bitter about not being chosen then...
He's doing himself zero favours with chat like that regardless of it being true or not.

Dunc.

E34-3.2

826 posts

24 months

Friday 6th September
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/145784/albon-red...

Kvyat isn't bitter about not being chosen then...
Interesting. to be honest, I was thinking exactly the same. He struggled most of the race and only managed to overtake much slower cars with great difficulty.


37chevy

2,820 posts

101 months

Friday 6th September
quotequote all
E34-3.2 said:
Interesting. to be honest, I was thinking exactly the same. He struggled most of the race and only managed to overtake much slower cars with great difficulty.
In his defence, he’s done about 10 races, and has been thrown into a completely alien car with an entirely new engineering team...even max had more than that iirc

Hungrymc

4,081 posts

82 months

Friday 6th September
quotequote all
Deesee said:
Well it’s quite probably PU4, or PU3+, the days of works teams running preferred PU were over a few years back.. & this is not a marketing exercise, it can run the quali mode in the race (finally) and that mode is not available to the customer teams which have the same labelled PU..
I assume that the works team just didn’t take the PU3 upgrade that was available to everyone? Won’t that be the argument that they elected to wait for the next revision but the customer teams didn’t?

Of course, if the customer teams were fully informed of the timing of PU3+ is another question and could be dodgy?