Official 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Official 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Author
Discussion

StevieBee

8,198 posts

203 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
DaveTheRave87 said:
Thoughts on FP1?
Vettel's demeanour is one of someone who'd rather be polishing his motorbikes.

I'm beginning to seriously think this will be his last F1 race. I sort of hope not as I quite like him.

37chevy

3,280 posts

104 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
StevieBee said:
Vettel's demeanour is one of someone who'd rather be polishing his motorbikes.

I'm beginning to seriously think this will be his last F1 race. I sort of hope not as I quite like him.
I sort of hope it is.

I like the guy out of the car but not in it, and I’d rather remember him from his red bull years

It’s a shame to see a star on the wain...always thought people should quit while they’re on top

TheDeuce

3,753 posts

14 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
2 Mercedes and a max in top three, don't expect that to change this weekend.

Vettel crashes again. What is there to say?

Sammo123

1,438 posts

129 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
StevieBee said:
Vettel's demeanour is one of someone who'd rather be polishing his motorbikes.

I'm beginning to seriously think this will be his last F1 race. I sort of hope not as I quite like him.
I’m not much of a Vettel fan and don’t often jump to his defence but I’d imagine his mind is probably on his new born Son rather than the last race of the season where the championship is already wrapped up.

ajprice

16,730 posts

144 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
Magnussen's head is about to fall off...


LaurasOtherHalf

15,921 posts

144 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
HAM on the radio FP2

"who crashed?"

"grosjean turned in on bottas"

"could have guessed"

Deesee

3,254 posts

31 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
LaurasOtherHalf said:
HAM on the radio FP2

"who crashed?"

"grosjean turned in on bottas"

"could have guessed"
Here’s the vid...

https://streamable.com/d7s0s

Deesee

3,254 posts

31 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
ajprice said:
Magnussen's head is about to fall off...

.

https://streamable.com/c3lf7

Harsh from crofty at the end of the clip hehe

DaveTheRave87

1,419 posts

37 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
Deesee said:
LaurasOtherHalf said:
HAM on the radio FP2

"who crashed?"

"grosjean turned in on bottas"

"could have guessed"
Here’s the vid...

https://streamable.com/d7s0s
Nonsense, Bottas came from miles back and wasn't close to being alongside at corner entry.

Of course you'd expect Merc to defend their driver over the radio.

TheDeuce

3,753 posts

14 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
Deesee said:
ajprice said:
Magnussen's head is about to fall off...

.

https://streamable.com/c3lf7

Harsh from crofty at the end of the clip hehe
rofl

E34-3.2

981 posts

27 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
DaveTheRave87 said:
Nonsense, Bottas came from miles back and wasn't close to being alongside at corner entry.

Of course you'd expect Merc to defend their driver over the radio.
Well, Toto is saying that Bottas was at fault:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-bottas-at-faul...

TheDeuce

3,753 posts

14 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
E34-3.2 said:
DaveTheRave87 said:
Nonsense, Bottas came from miles back and wasn't close to being alongside at corner entry.

Of course you'd expect Merc to defend their driver over the radio.
Well, Toto is saying that Bottas was at fault:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-bottas-at-faul...
Have to agree. Bottas must have known that there was a significant chance grosjean wouldn't have a clue he was coming through on the inside. And how did bottas not identify the line grosjean was setting himself up to take through the corner?

Tunnel vision I guess, he can only see the cars he's competing against and expects the others to forever give him free passage. Slightly silly but it's not as of he has a record of such silliness, so no big deal imo. Just made himself look a bit of a tit smile

Deesee

3,254 posts

31 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
E34-3.2 said:
DaveTheRave87 said:
Nonsense, Bottas came from miles back and wasn't close to being alongside at corner entry.

Of course you'd expect Merc to defend their driver over the radio.
Well, Toto is saying that Bottas was at fault:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-bottas-at-faul...
Have to agree. Bottas must have known that there was a significant chance grosjean wouldn't have a clue he was coming through on the inside. And how did bottas not identify the line grosjean was setting himself up to take through the corner?

Tunnel vision I guess, he can only see the cars he's competing against and expects the others to forever give him free passage. Slightly silly but it's not as of he has a record of such silliness, so no big deal imo. Just made himself look a bit of a tit smile
Top detailed analysis from Ant Davidson,

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/12004324806...

TheDeuce

3,753 posts

14 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
Deesee said:
TheDeuce said:
E34-3.2 said:
DaveTheRave87 said:
Nonsense, Bottas came from miles back and wasn't close to being alongside at corner entry.

Of course you'd expect Merc to defend their driver over the radio.
Well, Toto is saying that Bottas was at fault:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-bottas-at-faul...
Have to agree. Bottas must have known that there was a significant chance grosjean wouldn't have a clue he was coming through on the inside. And how did bottas not identify the line grosjean was setting himself up to take through the corner?

Tunnel vision I guess, he can only see the cars he's competing against and expects the others to forever give him free passage. Slightly silly but it's not as of he has a record of such silliness, so no big deal imo. Just made himself look a bit of a tit smile
Top detailed analysis from Ant Davidson,

https://twitter.com/SkySportsF1/status/12004324806...
As suspected then. Great analysis and Grosjean was trying to be careful. It was a risk that Bottas didn't need to take, his fault.

I know I keep banging on about how excellent this season has been, but even the FP sessions have got better this year. I think that is probably because we have 6 cars capable of winning races which is reflected in terms of extra pressure right from the start of FP1. I've lost track of how many last minute repairs/re-builds have been performed between sessions this season. Poor mechanics - but lucky viewers..

CustardOnChips

306 posts

10 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
E34-3.2 said:
DaveTheRave87 said:
Nonsense, Bottas came from miles back and wasn't close to being alongside at corner entry.

Of course you'd expect Merc to defend their driver over the radio.
Well, Toto is saying that Bottas was at fault:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/wolff-bottas-at-faul...
Have to agree. Bottas must have known that there was a significant chance grosjean wouldn't have a clue he was coming through on the inside. And how did bottas not identify the line grosjean was setting himself up to take through the corner?

Tunnel vision I guess, he can only see the cars he's competing against and expects the others to forever give him free passage. Slightly silly but it's not as of he has a record of such silliness, so no big deal imo. Just made himself look a bit of a tit smile
Surely standard OP for all other drivers is to give Hass drivers a wide birth?

Deesee

3,254 posts

31 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
There was a nice bit of clear track ahead of Grosjean which would have been perfect for the race sim.. & about 9 other cars close behind so not ideal to drop back..

Bottas was lapping 1.3 seconds quicker than Grosjean, so there was no real need to dive in.

TheDeuce

3,753 posts

14 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
CustardOnChips said:
Surely standard OP for all other drivers is to give Hass drivers a wide birth?
Tough to avoid them entirely though - they typically need lapping once or twice most races. I'm sure Bottas knows who is tricky on track, but for whatever reason he opted to act as if Grosjean wasn't even there this time.

Perhaps Bottas knows his car is the best on track this weekend and really wants to prove it, I think he was in the zone and made a bit of a schoolboy error today!

I can't wait for the new Netflix series and what I imagine will be a montage of Steiner's colourful reactions to all these drama's biggrin


Deesee

3,254 posts

31 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
Also official reprimand for Bottas, he accepted responsibility.

Jasandjules

63,403 posts

177 months

Friday 29th November
quotequote all
Well Bottas made a huge error there... Stupid move but really he is nearly half a second a lap faster so suspect he is going to have a fun race overtaking, assuming he doesn't make a lung like that again...

I may wish to revisit my previous Ferrari assessment.... Saying that Charles is very, very close to Lewis it seems...

Deesee

3,254 posts

31 months

Saturday 30th November
quotequote all


On a track with lots of slow corners and long straights the first chart and second paint a very different picture.

Mercs supreme slow corner speed, and there ability to run only quicker than red bull & Williams on the straights, while setting the lead lap times.



Midfield super tight, the battle to get through Q/2 and Q3 will be tight, who will get the track conditions correct.



Race pace, well Williams! that’s possibly the closest they have been all season, but still lots of work to do to get near the points, but as good a chance they have had this season to get some additional points.