Exceeded track limits.

Exceeded track limits.

Author
Discussion

Far Cough

1,546 posts

132 months

Saturday 3rd April
quotequote all
More tyre walls are needed. Stop the problem instantly.......... and dont bang on about safety blah blah blah , just look at the Monaco GP. You dont see track limits being talked about there do you ?

angrymoby

1,400 posts

142 months

Saturday 3rd April
quotequote all
Far Cough said:
More tyre walls are needed. Stop the problem instantly.......... and dont bang on about safety blah blah blah , just look at the Monaco GP. You dont see track limits being talked about there do you ?
no, no you dont ... but you dont see any decent racing either

Far Cough

1,546 posts

132 months

Saturday 3rd April
quotequote all
angrymoby said:
no, no you dont ... but you dont see any decent racing either
thats down the narrowness of the track. If Monaco was as wide as Slitherstone, you would thumbup

Sandpit Steve

2,626 posts

38 months

Saturday 3rd April
quotequote all
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Stick a wet drag strip at the edge of the track. That sorted them out at the Nurburgring laugh
Hockenheim 2019 was the one that springs to mind there, with the drag strip on the outside of the last corner that, when it got wet, turned into something approaching an ice rink.

glazbagun

11,597 posts

161 months

Saturday 3rd April
quotequote all
Sandpit Steve said:
ELUSIVEJIM said:
Stick a wet drag strip at the edge of the track. That sorted them out at the Nurburgring laugh
Hockenheim 2019 was the one that springs to mind there, with the drag strip on the outside of the last corner that, when it got wet, turned into something approaching an ice rink.
yes A wet drag strip around the outside of track limits, with the walls thick with tyres/movable barriers.

The Vambo

4,396 posts

105 months

Saturday 3rd April
quotequote all
High grip, high vibration rumble strips. Hard to gain an advantage when your eyeballs are being shaken out of your head and the sensors out the car.

MitchT

13,513 posts

173 months

Saturday 3rd April
quotequote all
Some consistency wouldn't go amiss. There's seems to be one rule in qualifying and a different rule in the race. Then there's inconsistency within the race itself. Lewis was getting radio messages telling him to watch track limits at turn 4, Max was getting radio messages telling him to use more of the track. Then Max had to give up a place because he's exceeded track limits while overtaking. It's a shambles. Establish one rule for all sessions and stick to it. It's like the stewards are a bunch of OAPs in a home who can't remember what they were thinking two minutes ago and are now thinking the opposite, then, in another two minutes...

RB Will

6,928 posts

204 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
Far Cough said:
More tyre walls are needed. Stop the problem instantly.......... and dont bang on about safety blah blah blah , just look at the Monaco GP. You dont see track limits being talked about there do you ?
They did this at Castle Combe for last year. Getting fed up with people cutting and knocking down the flexi bollards they have replaced them with a “moveable” tyre bundle on most of the apexes. You definitely wouldn’t want to hit one but it wouldn’t usually be race ending.
Effective in getting people back between the white lines, my mate is particularly bad for cutting where possible and having to avoid the tyres has added about 1.5 secs to his lap time.

Roofless Toothless

3,340 posts

96 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
For what it’s worth, my opinion is that there is less of a problem about ‘track limits’ as such, and stopping cars exceeding them, than there is with understanding and defining what is meant by ‘lasting advantage’.

LukeBrown66

657 posts

10 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
I was watching on board from Spa in 1990, no kerbs even, the kerbs were raised about half an inch from the white line, to about 6 inches, there didn't seem to be cars flying off the road routinely.

I wonder why, because drivers knew they could not touch them so drove within that limit.

If rally drivers can do it, so can F1 drivers, the problem is the rulemakers gave them leeway after Senna, and this garbage is the result, cars going routinely off track at almost every corner. This is NOT racing, in anyone's eyes.

Everyone knows it, but nobody has the balls to put and end to it.

Hungrymc

4,894 posts

101 months

Sunday 4th April
quotequote all
I still find the whole track limits fuss ridiculous. A discussion point of the commentators when they want to sound authoritative that people jump on board with.

All that’s needed is consistent application. Changing the instruction after Max’s complaint was the error. As long as everyone knows the rules and they’re driving to the same understanding, I couldn’t care less. The only controversy this weekend was the mid race new interpretation triggered by RedBull...

Cliffe60

36 posts

Wednesday 7th April
quotequote all
MitchT said:
Some consistency wouldn't go amiss. There's seems to be one rule in qualifying and a different rule in the race. Then there's inconsistency within the race itself. Lewis was getting radio messages telling him to watch track limits at turn 4, Max was getting radio messages telling him to use more of the track. Then Max had to give up a place because he's exceeded track limits while overtaking. It's a shambles. Establish one rule for all sessions and stick to it. It's like the stewards are a bunch of OAPs in a home who can't remember what they were thinking two minutes ago and are now thinking the opposite, then, in another two minutes...
Consistency of applying the rules is ruining other sports too. Football and rugby are particularly bad too.

aston80

100 posts

5 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
The Vambo said:
High grip, high vibration rumble strips. Hard to gain an advantage when your eyeballs are being shaken out of your head and the sensors out the car.
If it didn't damage the car i'd opt for this. Punished but not out of the race.

HighwayToHull

6,158 posts

142 months

Thursday 8th April
quotequote all
As far as I'm concerned the white line should mark the absolute limit of the track. Any part of the car goes over it - penalty.

Force another car over it - same penalty.