Will Lewis ever win #8?

Will Lewis ever win #8?

Author
Discussion

HardtopManual

1,863 posts

143 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
We are 4.5% of the way through the 2022 championship. The W13 currently suffers from an issue that slows it down on all parts of the circuit. Other, teams, with fewer resources than Mercedes, suffered the same issue during testing and have now largely resolved it. I see no reason at all to write off Hamilton, nor Russell, at this point. They could easily arrive in Australia with a car that is over a second a lap faster than what they had underneath the drivers in Bahrain.

Byker28i

41,861 posts

194 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
Muzzer79 said:
I hope he does get number 8, but I don't think he will.

He'll win some more races, but I think that's it for titles now and he'll retire at the end of next season.
He's 37, I guess it depends on how it goes this season? He has plenty of outside influences but showed coming back this season thats he's still hungry to race.

Siao

310 posts

17 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
angrymoby said:
Siao said:
jsf said:
He already has 9, ignoring FIA interference. biggrin
You mean 8 surely
there is a 'cloud' over Brasil '07
But that had nothing to do with the FIA though, does it?

wpa1975

3,414 posts

91 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
I think it is silly to write off Mercedes / Hamilton at this stage, yes it looks like Mercedes have dropped the ball but I have no doubts that they will turn it around plus Ferrari have a habit of not developing the car further.

If Mercedes can unlock the car, it could be an epic season with 3 teams in the mix.

mat205125

16,506 posts

190 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
We're 1 race deep into a 23 round year, and Mercedes are 2nd in the constructors, 3rd and 4th in the drivers, and have proven to have the 3rd fastest car, with plenty of challenges to overcome

Far too soon to swallow the underdog PR rubbish.

In a straight fight with comparable cars, Lewis will lose to Charles and Max.

He needs Mercedes to save the day

angrymoby

1,835 posts

155 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
Siao said:
angrymoby said:
Siao said:
jsf said:
He already has 9, ignoring FIA interference. biggrin
You mean 8 surely
there is a 'cloud' over Brasil '07
But that had nothing to do with the FIA though, does it?
i don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but there was a lot going on in the background of '07 but not a lot of information was forthcoming from those actually involved, so back in 2012 Mark Hughes asked Lewis if he had ever discovered exactly what had happened in the last 2 races of '07

“I didn’t know at the time. But I do now. It’s not something I can talk about.”

make of that what you will



angrymoby

1,835 posts

155 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
mat205125 said:
In a straight fight with comparable cars, Lewis will lose to Charles and Max.
'comparable cars' you say? ...how many poles/ wins/ fastest laps & laps led did Max have again last year?

'straight fight' you say ...like last year?

clown



mk1coopers

757 posts

129 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
Yes

phil1979

3,285 posts

192 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
He will definitely get another WDC

  1. blessed

Siao

310 posts

17 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
angrymoby said:
Siao said:
angrymoby said:
Siao said:
jsf said:
He already has 9, ignoring FIA interference. biggrin
You mean 8 surely
there is a 'cloud' over Brasil '07
But that had nothing to do with the FIA though, does it?
i don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but there was a lot going on in the background of '07 but not a lot of information was forthcoming from those actually involved, so back in 2012 Mark Hughes asked Lewis if he had ever discovered exactly what had happened in the last 2 races of '07

“I didn’t know at the time. But I do now. It’s not something I can talk about.”

make of that what you will
Ok, thanks, I see what you mean. I'd need some more substantial info myself before I make the connection that he was robbed.

Siao

310 posts

17 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
angrymoby said:
mat205125 said:
In a straight fight with comparable cars, Lewis will lose to Charles and Max.
'comparable cars' you say? ...how many poles/ wins/ fastest laps & laps led did Max have again last year?

'straight fight' you say ...like last year?

clown
Why the name calling?

Chamon_Lee

3,012 posts

124 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
mat205125 said:
We're 1 race deep into a 23 round year, and Mercedes are 2nd in the constructors, 3rd and 4th in the drivers, and have proven to have the 3rd fastest car, with plenty of challenges to overcome

Far too soon to swallow the underdog PR rubbish.

In a straight fight with comparable cars, Lewis will lose to Charles and Max.

He needs Mercedes to save the day
Always find such comments hilarious. Do people not see each team run two drivers?
Yes a good driver needs a good car but a good car needs a good driver. 7x WDC and people still question his ability. Also LH hasn't always been in the "top performaning" car.
Maybe people should go read his resume before they make such comments

angrymoby

1,835 posts

155 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
Siao said:
Ok, thanks, I see what you mean. I'd need some more substantial info myself before I make the connection that he was robbed.
you wont get anything more until Hamilton 'can' say ...& i suspect that's after the BE has departed this mortal coil

Siao said:
Why the name calling?
because it was demonstrably daft thing to say?



paulguitar

15,543 posts

90 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
Chamon_Lee said:
mat205125 said:
We're 1 race deep into a 23 round year, and Mercedes are 2nd in the constructors, 3rd and 4th in the drivers, and have proven to have the 3rd fastest car, with plenty of challenges to overcome

Far too soon to swallow the underdog PR rubbish.

In a straight fight with comparable cars, Lewis will lose to Charles and Max.

He needs Mercedes to save the day
Always find such comments hilarious. Do people not see each team run two drivers?
Yes a good driver needs a good car but a good car needs a good driver. 7x WDC and people still question his ability. Also LH hasn't always been in the "top performaning" car.
Maybe people should go read his resume before they make such comments
It's just total ignorance, and an unaccountable desire to share it. I suppose if there had been social media in Fangio's day there would have been similar types claiming he needed to be 'saved by Alfa Romeo'.

silly



Siao

310 posts

17 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
angrymoby said:
Siao said:
Ok, thanks, I see what you mean. I'd need some more substantial info myself before I make the connection that he was robbed.
you wont get anything more until Hamilton 'can' say ...& i suspect that's after the BE has departed this mortal coil
Very true, I won't hold my breath though. I am not sure BE is the problem.


angrymoby said:
Siao said:
Why the name calling?
because it was demonstrably daft thing to say?
I just felt it is not a nice thing to say. Attack the opinion and not the poster kind of thing. But I don't want to sound like I'm lecturing you, so I'll leave it to that!

beer

paulguitar

15,543 posts

90 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
angrymoby said:
Siao said:
angrymoby said:
Siao said:
jsf said:
He already has 9, ignoring FIA interference. biggrin
You mean 8 surely
there is a 'cloud' over Brasil '07
But that had nothing to do with the FIA though, does it?
i don't subscribe to conspiracy theories, but there was a lot going on in the background of '07 but not a lot of information was forthcoming from those actually involved, so back in 2012 Mark Hughes asked Lewis if he had ever discovered exactly what had happened in the last 2 races of '07

“I didn’t know at the time. But I do now. It’s not something I can talk about.”

make of that what you will
Very interesting article on this here:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-mysterious-loss...



PhilAsia

976 posts

52 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
paulguitar said:
Chamon_Lee said:
mat205125 said:
We're 1 race deep into a 23 round year, and Mercedes are 2nd in the constructors, 3rd and 4th in the drivers, and have proven to have the 3rd fastest car, with plenty of challenges to overcome

Far too soon to swallow the underdog PR rubbish.

In a straight fight with comparable cars, Lewis will lose to Charles and Max.

He needs Mercedes to save the day
Always find such comments hilarious. Do people not see each team run two drivers?
Yes a good driver needs a good car but a good car needs a good driver. 7x WDC and people still question his ability. Also LH hasn't always been in the "top performaning" car.
Maybe people should go read his resume before they make such comments
It's just total ignorance, and an unaccountable desire to share it. I suppose if there had been social media in Fangio's day there would have been similar types claiming he needed to be 'saved by Alfa Romeo'.

silly
Back then I would shout out "it's the car, not you, Fangio!". Then, quickly run to the next corner and shout out "you heard me mate!", just as he got there.

The cars were a lot slower back then of course...

angrymoby

1,835 posts

155 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
paulguitar said:
Very interesting article on this here:

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-mysterious-loss...
yep, but i dont like to think about it too much, as a: it diminishes Kimi's WDC (& Kimi definitely deserved a WDC) & b: that a sport i genuinely love could be that 'bent'

I mean Singapore '08 was bad, AD '21 worse still ...but if '07 was genuinely rigged, then that would be the biggest F1 controversary by some margin (indeed any sporting controversary by some margin) ...& the worst bit about it is that knowing BE- it's conceivable

paulguitar

15,543 posts

90 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
PhilAsia said:
Back then I would shout out "it's the car, not you, Fangio!". Then, quickly run to the next corner and shout out "you heard me mate!", just as he got there.

The cars were a lot slower back then of course...
hehe


"You're crap, Clark, it's the car!'

'You're slow, Senna, it's the car!'

You're pants, Prost, it's the car!'




Schermerhorn

4,243 posts

166 months

Tuesday 22nd March
quotequote all
When the regulations change there is usually one team who really nails their design and tends to be competitive throughout as long as those design regulations exist.

Mercedes mastered the hybrid/turbo/energy recovery system in 2014 and were a step ahead for around 8 seasons.

Red Bull nailed the 2009-2013 regulations and had it not have been for some unreliability issues for Vettel in 2009, they would have had 5 championships. The exhaust blown diffusers and underfloor aerodynamics really played to Newey's creative genius.

I therefore believe that - because this current era is very aero-heavy and dependent - that Newey will rise to the challenge again.
Ferrari may stay competitive but they have a history of ballsing things up in strategy/development/politics so I don't expect them to sweep any championships.

Max and Red Bull all the way, lads.

Sorry to Lewis fans.