Official 2022 Miami Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Official 2022 Miami Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Poll: Official 2022 Miami Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Total Members Polled: 223

Hamilton: 5%
Russell: 8%
Verstappen: 38%
Perez: 5%
Leclerc: 28%
Sainz: 4%
Norris: 8%
Ricciardo: 1%
Vettel: 1%
Alonso: 1%
Author
Discussion

jimPH

3,777 posts

57 months

Sunday 1st May
quotequote all
Two massive straights should be good for RBR.

Think I will be down to who gets their setup nailed and the tyres in the zone, which Ferrari have nailed recently, so could go either way.

Jasandjules

67,456 posts

206 months

Sunday 1st May
quotequote all
MiniMan64 said:
Bit of a side bar question but why is Miami scheduled here in the calendar? Wedged between two European weekends, why fly the whole circus out to America and back?
Because F1 is eco friendly.... wink

Still, I am looking forward to this race purely on the basis the teams have no knowledge of this circuit (I know the same is true for all circuits with these cars really except for Barcelona but still)...

I can't see it being anything other than Charles winning but who knows... The Red Bulls have some impressive straight line speed right now.

PhilAsia

976 posts

52 months

Sunday 1st May
quotequote all
jimPH said:
Two massive straights should be good for RBR.

Think I will be down to who gets their setup nailed and the tyres in the zone, which Ferrari have nailed recently, so could go either way.
I think so.

Red Bull were better on tyres and top speed at Imola. I think that they will be hard to beat.

TheDeuce

13,917 posts

43 months

Sunday 1st May
quotequote all
Interesting looking weather this weekend. +30c Friday and Saturday and then thunderstorms predicted on Sunday.

Florida storms accompanied by 'fat rain' can be quite a thing to behold. Very difficult for a race too as the track could swing from full wets to bone dry within 15 minutes easily.

MiniMan64

15,381 posts

167 months

Sunday 1st May
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Interesting looking weather this weekend. +30c Friday and Saturday and then thunderstorms predicted on Sunday.

Florida storms accompanied by 'fat rain' can be quite a thing to behold. Very difficult for a race too as the track could swing from full wets to bone dry within 15 minutes easily.
Or Spa all over again?

The last thing they need is a repeat of the Indianapolis debacle

TheDeuce

13,917 posts

43 months

Sunday 1st May
quotequote all
MiniMan64 said:
TheDeuce said:
Interesting looking weather this weekend. +30c Friday and Saturday and then thunderstorms predicted on Sunday.

Florida storms accompanied by 'fat rain' can be quite a thing to behold. Very difficult for a race too as the track could swing from full wets to bone dry within 15 minutes easily.
Or Spa all over again?

The last thing they need is a repeat of the Indianapolis debacle
We can't fear a spa repeat everytime it rains!

Masi is gone. I don't think the powers that be will allow a repeat of spa. Please God no..

The fun thing about Florida this time of year is that no matter how hard it rains, it will dry out very shortly after. At worst I see delays and tyre debates but no chance of calling it off.

Catweazle

794 posts

119 months

Sunday 1st May
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
MiniMan64 said:
TheDeuce said:
Interesting looking weather this weekend. +30c Friday and Saturday and then thunderstorms predicted on Sunday.

Florida storms accompanied by 'fat rain' can be quite a thing to behold. Very difficult for a race too as the track could swing from full wets to bone dry within 15 minutes easily.
Or Spa all over again?

The last thing they need is a repeat of the Indianapolis debacle
We can't fear a spa repeat everytime it rains!

Masi is gone. I don't think the powers that be will allow a repeat of spa. Please God no..

The fun thing about Florida this time of year is that no matter how hard it rains, it will dry out very shortly after. At worst I see delays and tyre debates but no chance of calling it off.
I thought they had changed the regulations so as to prevent a repeat of Spa.

Pflanzgarten

234 posts

2 months

Monday 2nd May
quotequote all
Catweazle said:
I thought they had changed the regulations so as to prevent a repeat of Spa.
Spa can happen again, it’s just the points awarded will be different.

Cold

12,803 posts

67 months

Monday 2nd May
quotequote all
56 laps following behind the safety car - which had been asked to slow down because the pack couldn't keep up.

talksthetorque

10,298 posts

112 months

Monday 2nd May
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Interesting looking weather this weekend. +30c Friday and Saturday and then thunderstorms predicted on Sunday.

Florida storms accompanied by 'fat rain' can be quite a thing to behold. Very difficult for a race too as the track could swing from full wets to bone dry within 15 minutes easily.
So basically who judges the changeover time correctly wins.

TheDeuce

13,917 posts

43 months

Monday 2nd May
quotequote all
talksthetorque said:
TheDeuce said:
Interesting looking weather this weekend. +30c Friday and Saturday and then thunderstorms predicted on Sunday.

Florida storms accompanied by 'fat rain' can be quite a thing to behold. Very difficult for a race too as the track could swing from full wets to bone dry within 15 minutes easily.
So basically who judges the changeover time correctly wins.
Well.. depends what the weather actually does. It cold well remain sunny for the entire race.

But I do think the instant and fleeting nature of Florida storms is potentially quite a unique challenge for F1 as and when a storm does hit during a GP. Might never happen of course! Although as it stands storms are forecast at some point on the Sunday.

Edit: checked the forecast again and the storms now moved to Monday

Edited by TheDeuce on Monday 2nd May 13:11

timmybob

468 posts

249 months

Monday 2nd May
quotequote all
No idea what's happening with tickets - one of my friends just got a grandstand seat through F1 Experiences (so list price). Thought this one would be sold out already.

Don1

15,213 posts

185 months

Monday 2nd May
quotequote all
And a fake marina? Seems to be very on brand for Miami....

TheDeuce

13,917 posts

43 months

Monday 2nd May
quotequote all
Don1 said:
And a fake marina? Seems to be very on brand for Miami....
Wait until we get to Vegas. Driving past a fake Eiffel tower at 200mph each lap...

An entire city of fakery awaits smile

The Moose

21,698 posts

186 months

Monday 2nd May
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
talksthetorque said:
TheDeuce said:
Interesting looking weather this weekend. +30c Friday and Saturday and then thunderstorms predicted on Sunday.

Florida storms accompanied by 'fat rain' can be quite a thing to behold. Very difficult for a race too as the track could swing from full wets to bone dry within 15 minutes easily.
So basically who judges the changeover time correctly wins.
Well.. depends what the weather actually does. It cold well remain sunny for the entire race.

But I do think the instant and fleeting nature of Florida storms is potentially quite a unique challenge for F1 as and when a storm does hit during a GP. Might never happen of course! Although as it stands storms are forecast at some point on the Sunday.

Edit: checked the forecast again and the storms now moved to Monday

Edited by TheDeuce on Monday 2nd May 13:11
Combined with the fact that they are running the race at the beginning of "storm season" which has been reasonably active on the W coast of the state as well as starting the race at such a time so as if it were to be wet, there's a good chance it would likely be wet during the race.

DanielSan

17,564 posts

144 months

Tuesday 3rd May
quotequote all
TheDeuce said:
Don1 said:
And a fake marina? Seems to be very on brand for Miami....
Wait until we get to Vegas. Driving past a fake Eiffel tower at 200mph each lap...

An entire city of fakery awaits smile
At least Vegas prides itself on that rather than this Wish.com level attempt...

https://twitter.com/wtf1official/status/1520499372...

Sandpit Steve

5,849 posts

51 months

Tuesday 3rd May
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
At least Vegas prides itself on that rather than this Wish.com level attempt...

https://twitter.com/wtf1official/status/1520499372...
Wow, that’s embarrassing.

I was thinking they’d built a little pond and added the boats with a crane - but it’s actually a totally fake structure made of scaffolding and wood, with a ‘water’ carpet on top. No actual water at all.

TheDeuce

13,917 posts

43 months

Tuesday 3rd May
quotequote all
Sandpit Steve said:
DanielSan said:
At least Vegas prides itself on that rather than this Wish.com level attempt...

https://twitter.com/wtf1official/status/1520499372...
Wow, that’s embarrassing.

I was thinking they’d built a little pond and added the boats with a crane - but it’s actually a totally fake structure made of scaffolding and wood, with a ‘water’ carpet on top. No actual water at all.
It is a bit tragic.

I could have built them a tank of water the same size as the fake one if they'd asked. That's what I do, giant temporary tanks for film/TV/event etc.


Byker28i

41,857 posts

194 months

Tuesday 3rd May
quotequote all
PhilAsia said:
jimPH said:
Two massive straights should be good for RBR.

Think I will be down to who gets their setup nailed and the tyres in the zone, which Ferrari have nailed recently, so could go either way.
I think so.

Red Bull were better on tyres and top speed at Imola. I think that they will be hard to beat.
This, should be a Red Bull circuit I think

Byker28i

41,857 posts

194 months

Tuesday 3rd May
quotequote all
DanielSan said:
TheDeuce said:
Don1 said:
And a fake marina? Seems to be very on brand for Miami....
Wait until we get to Vegas. Driving past a fake Eiffel tower at 200mph each lap...

An entire city of fakery awaits smile
At least Vegas prides itself on that rather than this Wish.com level attempt...

https://twitter.com/wtf1official/status/1520499372...
One thinks of the faked Venice and goldolas.. however the restaurant at the top of the fake Eiffel tower is very good