Alonso in the Aston Team?

Alonso in the Aston Team?

Author
Discussion

entropy

4,789 posts

183 months

Monday 1st August
quotequote all
NRS said:
Eh? That is the main reason for RB to be in F1 when it comes to it too. Of course Renault are in it for the good brand exposure. I suspect Renault were more pissed at being blamed for the poor performance of the team in the bad times, but basically no praise in the good times.
Renault have been criticized for their development since 2014.

Who else are currently running Renault engines? McLaren took every opportunity to revert back to Merc engines.

Renault doesn't come across as a team that wants to punch above their weight even though there are existing team members from the Lotus/Genii Kimi/Grosjean era.

Edit: not to mention Prost left at the beginning of this season.

Edited by entropy on Monday 1st August 16:01

Fundoreen

3,095 posts

63 months

Monday 1st August
quotequote all
AM has a best upward trajectory than alpine. Only worry is its new factory and lots of new staff and working practices.
It was a little team until a short time ago.
As for Renault . As others have said they were happy to be involved,and with the budget cap they no doubt could easily meet.
Im delighted Alonso listened to me lol,there was the wiff of trechery going on with Alpine with the collusion of the press.
How does it work anyway? When a new driver wants to come it you get rid of the oldest?
Ageism in the workplace? Actually most of the F1 broadcast teams are old fogeys . Isn't it time some of them slung their hook?

suffolk009

4,544 posts

145 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
A lot of people commenting that the Aston/Alonso relationship won't end well.

I think it's unlikely to even start well.

NRS

20,247 posts

181 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
entropy said:
NRS said:
Eh? That is the main reason for RB to be in F1 when it comes to it too. Of course Renault are in it for the good brand exposure. I suspect Renault were more pissed at being blamed for the poor performance of the team in the bad times, but basically no praise in the good times.
Renault have been criticized for their development since 2014.

Who else are currently running Renault engines? McLaren took every opportunity to revert back to Merc engines.

Renault doesn't come across as a team that wants to punch above their weight even though there are existing team members from the Lotus/Genii Kimi/Grosjean era.

Edit: not to mention Prost left at the beginning of this season.

Edited by entropy on Monday 1st August 16:01
There's certainly a lot of condemn them for. But it's not exactly "wrong" that they are in it for brand exposure as Newey said, it's the same reason as RB. Wold there be a RB team if they had to race without any branding? But they got little praise when RB were winning championships, and then ripped to shreds when they didn't do well. RB took the praise in the good times, then passed on the blame in the bad times.

entropy

4,789 posts

183 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
NRS said:
There's certainly a lot of condemn them for. But it's not exactly "wrong" that they are in it for brand exposure as Newey said, it's the same reason as RB. Wold there be a RB team if they had to race without any branding? But they got little praise when RB were winning championships, and then ripped to shreds when they didn't do well. RB took the praise in the good times, then passed on the blame in the bad times.
Let me put it another way: how ambitious are Renault? Do they come across as a manufacturer happy enough just to make up the numbers?

This is what Adrian Newey had to say with Mark Hughes https://the-race.com/formula-1/newey-in-depth-abor...

“We had a supplier that seemed more interested in the marketing angle that came from being in F1 than actually being competitive"

“If you have an engine partner who comes up with a power unit that’s below the competitors but shows a real desire and a will to fix it and go forward, then you accept it. But one that won’t recognise it’s behind and doesn’t seem to be interested in doing anything about it is altogether more difficult. So it caused me to lose motivation. I still enjoyed F1 but not like that."

Why is it that McLaren were desperate to return with Mercedes engines than continue with Renault?

Gene Haas is in F1 to promote his tooling business, seemingly happy existing to make up the numbers and little ambition.

Haas & Renault would make a great partnership. Promoting each others brands whilst happy enough tottering in the lower midfield.

Nexus Icon

322 posts

41 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
I don't understand why anyone would think Renault/Alpine would be happy 'tottering in the midfield'? If that were the case they'd take pay drivers, not a long-contract paid driver and (up until now) one of the highest paid drivers on the grid.

Also, the Renault V6 is far from being the worst out there now. I bet Ferrari wouldn't mind some of their reliability and the Vmax is always up there with the best.

RobGT81

5,196 posts

166 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
I'll stick a tenner on Alonso not making it to the end of next season with AM.

entropy

4,789 posts

183 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
Nexus Icon said:
I don't understand why anyone would think Renault/Alpine would be happy 'tottering in the midfield'? If that were the case they'd take pay drivers, not a long-contract paid driver and (up until now) one of the highest paid drivers on the grid.

Also, the Renault V6 is far from being the worst out there now. I bet Ferrari wouldn't mind some of their reliability and the Vmax is always up there with the best.
For the umpteenth time why did McLaren not continue with Renault?

Or how about answer why Ricciardo quickly leaving Enstone for Woking when the opportunity arose?

How long did it take for Renault to build a competitive engine? Seems like Honda did it in half the time it took Renault with an acrimonious working relationship relationship with McLaren.




MB140

3,368 posts

83 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
mat205125 said:
angrymoby said:
Stroll Snr & Alonso in the same team? ...what could possibly go wrong?
Exactly.

What happens the second that Alonso starts to show up his son?

How can the team and all parties handle disagreements in the next direction for the team
In fairness Vettle hasn’t made stroll Jnr look too much of a mug and I would argue that Vettle and Alonso are probably about on a par driver talent wise.

SmoothCriminal

4,320 posts

179 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
Sounds like Alonso wants to race in f1 for as long as possible regardless of results.

Otmar saying they offered him 1+1 and were in discussions and Alonso didn't even have the decency to tell him that he was joining AM.

g4ry13

14,339 posts

235 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
MB140 said:
mat205125 said:
angrymoby said:
Stroll Snr & Alonso in the same team? ...what could possibly go wrong?
Exactly.

What happens the second that Alonso starts to show up his son?

How can the team and all parties handle disagreements in the next direction for the team
In fairness Vettle hasn’t made stroll Jnr look too much of a mug and I would argue that Vettle and Alonso are probably about on a par driver talent wise.
Alonso > Vettel

Aston will obviously ensure that whenever there's a new upgrade or performance improvement that daddy's boy will get it added to his car.

Jasandjules

Original Poster:

67,743 posts

209 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
As expected, Piastri has been announced..

glazbagun

12,888 posts

177 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
entropy said:
Renault have been criticized for their development since 2014.

Who else are currently running Renault engines? McLaren took every opportunity to revert back to Merc engines.

Renault doesn't come across as a team that wants to punch above their weight even though there are existing team members from the Lotus/Genii Kimi/Grosjean era.

Edit: not to mention Prost left at the beginning of this season.

Edited by entropy on Monday 1st August 16:01
Did Prost leaving not have something to do with Alonso, too, or am I misremembering?

Just announced that Piastri is Alpines new driver. Looks like McLaren are stuck with Riccardo!

Teppic

6,478 posts

237 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
Jasandjules said:
As expected, Piastri has been announced..


Where’s the popcorn?

g4ry13

14,339 posts

235 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
Teppic said:
Jasandjules said:
As expected, Piastri has been announced..


Where’s the popcorn?
Piastri going to McLaren confirmed then?

I don't understand why Alpine would do that if they didn't have ink on paper.

Bradgate

2,656 posts

127 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
Piastri fiasco. biggrin

Diderot

5,152 posts

172 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
Bradgate said:
Piastri fiasci. biggrin
ETA

Jasandjules

Original Poster:

67,743 posts

209 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
g4ry13 said:
Piastri going to McLaren confirmed then?

I don't understand why Alpine would do that if they didn't have ink on paper.
Yup must be. No way would he turn down Alpine unless he had a faster team signed...

But WTAF were Alpine doing?!?! That was some Press Release...

TheMachMan

992 posts

202 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
Some one in their HR department will be getting the boot in the morning!
What f*ck up. A lot of panic behind the scenes.

vulture1

10,281 posts

159 months

Tuesday 2nd August
quotequote all
Jasandjules said:
g4ry13 said:
Piastri going to McLaren confirmed then?

I don't understand why Alpine would do that if they didn't have ink on paper.
Yup must be. No way would he turn down Alpine unless he had a faster team signed...

But WTAF were Alpine doing?!?! That was some Press Release...
What is Piastri doing saying that if he hasnt got a deal already signed with someone???