Cars you didn't know existed...

Cars you didn't know existed...

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

Blown2CV

24,849 posts

169 months

Sunday 6th September 2020
quotequote all
i know it isn't in the same league as the McLaren F1 but could it make it to £1M one day... quite possibly.

Lester H

1,542 posts

71 months

Sunday 6th September 2020
quotequote all
ajprice said:
soxboy said:
I’m sure the PH editorial staff would be delighted to hear that you pay close attention to the articles on the front page of the website. wink
It's the forums I've got bookmarked, not the front page. I honestly don't remember the last time I looked at the front page.
Most of front page is always the same.

talksthetorque

9,038 posts

101 months

Monday 7th September 2020
quotequote all
Blown2CV said:
i know it isn't in the same league as the McLaren F1 but could it make it to £1M one day... quite possibly.
And would it get there before a cautiously invested £490,000?

Of course owning one for 30 odd years is probably more exciting than owning a certificate.

AAGR

918 posts

127 months

Monday 7th September 2020
quotequote all
To all XJ220 lovers. Many people - insiders, for sure - have now assured me that the original V12-engined/four-wheel-drive prototype of 1988 has never turned a wheel - it has not, in fact, ever been driven under its own power. By the way, when it was shown at the NEC in 1988, it was still not quite complete.





Edited by AAGR on Monday 7th September 22:29

Fane

1,181 posts

166 months

Tuesday 8th September 2020
quotequote all
Skoda Kodiaq VRS - saw one at Raby Castle a week last Sunday. I was actually very impressed with it.


lowdrag

11,469 posts

179 months

Tuesday 8th September 2020
quotequote all
AAGR said:
To all XJ220 lovers. Many people - insiders, for sure - have now assured me that the original V12-engined/four-wheel-drive prototype of 1988 has never turned a wheel - it has not, in fact, ever been driven under its own power. By the way, when it was shown at the NEC in 1988, it was still not quite complete.
The car was shown as a prototype just to create interest. The car never was a finished car, and it never was completed. In retrospect, if it had been, it could possibly today been on of the most collectable cars in the world, but it ended up as an emasculated version of what was proposed. And sadly, the crash of the collectors car market at the same time meant that it was tarnised from the start. That it took Jaguar six year to sell them all off, the last one at 25% of the original price, has haunted the car since then

carlove

6,731 posts

133 months

Tuesday 8th September 2020
quotequote all
Fane said:
Skoda Kodiaq VRS - saw one at Raby Castle a week last Sunday. I was actually very impressed with it.

I do think they look good (I don't like the normal Kodiaq), but they're also about £45k new, which as nice as it is is an awful lot of money for a Skoda. I'd probably spend another couple of grand and get an S4 Avant (I don't like crossovers though so a bit of bias in there).

lowdrag

11,469 posts

179 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
Mentioning MacLaren, I think the last time I saw one actually on a track was in 1995 at Silverstone, doing a parade lap:-



And as I'm getting older I'm sending these two off to auction. They've been sitting on the shelf for the last thirty years:-





Whatever they fetch will go to the grandchildren. They cost nothing after all.

Edited by lowdrag on Wednesday 9th September 09:06

Jimmy Recard

17,377 posts

145 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
AAGR said:
To all XJ220 lovers. Many people - insiders, for sure - have now assured me that the original V12-engined/four-wheel-drive prototype of 1988 has never turned a wheel - it has not, in fact, ever been driven under its own power. By the way, when it was shown at the NEC in 1988, it was still not quite complete.





Edited by AAGR on Monday 7th September 22:29
I love the XJ220 and don't see the turbo V6 and rear wheel drive as a problem. Actually I think it could be all the better for it.

I don't think that that prototype is capable of movement under its own power. I always thought it was mote of a full scale model of the proposed styling than a prototype

andburg

4,755 posts

135 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
Jimmy Recard said:
I love the XJ220 and don't see the turbo V6 and rear wheel drive as a problem. Actually I think it could be all the better for it.

I don't think that that prototype is capable of movement under its own power. I always thought it was mote of a full scale model of the proposed styling than a prototype
We're getting off topic here but the XJ220 was never a poster car for me.

The XJR15 however....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3EXByUGNAo

Dapster

5,274 posts

146 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
China's record of ripping off Western IP is nothing new it seems.

How about this gruesome Mercedes W123 based pick up?



Made by Bamin, a company owned by the Chinese People's Liberation Army.

Ride quality and refinement was assured due it being based not on the W123 underpinnings, but on this....



The other W123 based horror was the estate.



They were primary made for army use and few if any were ever sold outside of Fujian Province, and none are know to have survived. Remember these aren't W123s which will emerge from a nuclear winter, but decades old cheaply built knock offs which would all be a pile of dust now.

waynecyclist

1,334 posts

80 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
Jimmy Recard said:
AAGR said:
To all XJ220 lovers. Many people - insiders, for sure - have now assured me that the original V12-engined/four-wheel-drive prototype of 1988 has never turned a wheel - it has not, in fact, ever been driven under its own power. By the way, when it was shown at the NEC in 1988, it was still not quite complete.


Edited by AAGR on Monday 7th September 22:29
I love the XJ220 and don't see the turbo V6 and rear wheel drive as a problem. Actually I think it could be all the better for it.

I don't think that that prototype is capable of movement under its own power. I always thought it was mote of a full scale model of the proposed styling than a prototype
It has no room for a fuel tank so has never been driven


Jimmy Recard

17,377 posts

145 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
waynecyclist said:
It has no room for a fuel tank so has never been driven
Other things too, I think. Either way, common knowledge for many years that it's not a driving prototype

autofocus

2,547 posts

184 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
Hi there,

Plenty of one offs in the Jaguar Heritage Centre including some I reckon people will not have known existed.

https://www.dunlopix.co.uk/Jaguar-Heritage-Trust-J...

Also if you need an XJ220 overload have a nosey here :-

https://www.dunlopix.co.uk/Jaguar-XJ220-Anniversar...

Regards

Tim

autofocus

2,547 posts

184 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
Hi,

Have to admit this was a new one on me.

A Jaguar XK150 Bertone. One of only three cars I beleive





https://classiccarcuration.co.uk/jaguar-xk150-by-b...

Regards

Tim

ZesPak

22,294 posts

162 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
I'm usually quite up to date, but someone enlightened me on this the other day.



This is an A-class sedan.



This is a CLA.

Merc has me utterly confused.
It created the A class. Then it made a sedan which they called the CLA (of which they also made an estate).
Then it went on to make a sedan of the A-class, which is the A-class sedan??

What's next, a 5 door Audi A5?

HTP99

18,238 posts

106 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
Aren't those 2 A-Class' just one and the same, just with different names for different countries?

carlove

6,731 posts

133 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
ZesPak said:
I'm usually quite up to date, but someone enlightened me on this the other day.



This is an A-class sedan.



This is a CLA.

Merc has me utterly confused.
It created the A class. Then it made a sedan which they called the CLA (of which they also made an estate).
Then it went on to make a sedan of the A-class, which is the A-class sedan??

What's next, a 5 door Audi A5?
I don't understand the A Class saloon, it looks really awkward. I'm sure people will disagree strongly, but I think the CLA is a good looking car, you'd have to be mad to choose the A over one.

I might be walking into a whoosh parrot here, but...



Edited by carlove on Wednesday 9th September 13:04


Edited by carlove on Wednesday 9th September 13:05

ZesPak

22,294 posts

162 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
carlove said:
I don't understand the A Class saloon, it looks really awkward. I'm sure people will disagree strongly, but I think the CLA is a good looking car, you'd have to be mad to choose the A over one.
Really? From the silver ones I posted, I find it impossible to distinguish them.
carlove said:
I might be walking into a whoosh parrot here, but...
I'm aware there's a 5dr A5 hehe

HTP99 said:
Aren't those 2 A-Class' just one and the same, just with different names for different countries?
They look virtually the same from that picture, but my colleague convinced me they aren't.
If I look at the Merc configurator, there seems to be a CLA Coupe (which is the 4dr I depicted) and an A-class Sedan.
The rear does look a bit different as well.





Edited by ZesPak on Wednesday 9th September 13:10

Mr.Jimbo

1,961 posts

149 months

Wednesday 9th September 2020
quotequote all
I was ready to question the OP there but something seemed off, and he's right.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/features/opinion/jak...

Can't believe any manufacturer would sign off such similar products, the bodies are different. I could understand them calling them Sedan/CLA if it was just a pure trim level thing, but not when the panels etc are different yet they look so similar

Bonkers.
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED