Seriously Overpriced Cars

Seriously Overpriced Cars

Author
Discussion

mstrbkr

7,806 posts

156 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
Are you trolling?

A car is not "marked for life" unless it is given a category/written off. As I've said before. It's right there in the material you are quoting! You don't understand I'm afraid.

Example: one of my old cars was rear ended. Car was worth £4000 and it was repaired costing £1000 by the other party's insurance company. It was not written off and was therefore not given a category. So there is no record of it just as there is no record of that Lamborghini having a front ender.

Zippee

12,312 posts

192 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
robinessex said:
mstrbkr said:
robinessex said:
According to the RAC, a cars damage history stays with the vehicle:-

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-sell...
Yes, but only if it's been written off and is given a category. Accident damage that doesn't result in a the vehicle being written off is categorically NOT recorded.
These people say it does:-

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/used-cars/621/what-...

And these

https://www.theaa.com/car-insurance/advice/damage-...

"Can I check if a second-hand car has ever been damaged to a Cat C or Cat D (S and N) level?

Yes, you can, and it's always good to be aware of all the facts about a vehicle before buying. Professional car vendors and traders must state whether a car has been previously written-off. However, not all private sellers will tell you."

The only way around it I can see, is if you have damage, don't report it, get it fixed privately yourself. Once an Insurance company is involved, it's marked for life.

Edited by robinessex on Thursday 7th November 08:22
Yes, but what you aren't getting is that if a car had been repaired then it won't be a cat s,n,c or d. It's just repaired and NOT recorded.
The cat markers are for written off only, ie/ insurance pays out in full to the owner and the car goes to salvage.

robinessex

8,490 posts

139 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
Zippee said:
robinessex said:
mstrbkr said:
robinessex said:
According to the RAC, a cars damage history stays with the vehicle:-

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-sell...
Yes, but only if it's been written off and is given a category. Accident damage that doesn't result in a the vehicle being written off is categorically NOT recorded.
These people say it does:-

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/used-cars/621/what-...

And these

https://www.theaa.com/car-insurance/advice/damage-...

"Can I check if a second-hand car has ever been damaged to a Cat C or Cat D (S and N) level?

Yes, you can, and it's always good to be aware of all the facts about a vehicle before buying. Professional car vendors and traders must state whether a car has been previously written-off. However, not all private sellers will tell you."

The only way around it I can see, is if you have damage, don't report it, get it fixed privately yourself. Once an Insurance company is involved, it's marked for life.

Edited by robinessex on Thursday 7th November 08:22
Yes, but what you aren't getting is that if a car had been repaired then it won't be a cat s,n,c or d. It's just repaired and NOT recorded.
The cat markers are for written off only, ie/ insurance pays out in full to the owner and the car goes to salvage.
Only if the damage IS NOT REPORTED TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY. If the damage is S or N, and it gets repaired via the insurance company, believe me, the insurance company WILL record it. They did on a past car of mine. (Bumped up the bum on the M4. New rear bumper, and few brackets, plus a 1 tail light). I sold it via eBay for spares and repairs when it had to go, but the guy who bought sure knew about the rear end bump.

mstrbkr

7,806 posts

156 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
robinessex said:
Only if the damage IS NOT REPORTED TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY. If the damage is S or N, and it gets repaired via the insurance company, believe me, the insurance company WILL record it. They did on a past car of mine. (Bumped up the bum on the M4. New rear bumper, and few brackets, plus a 1 tail light). I sold it via eBay for spares and repairs when it had to go, but the guy who bought sure knew about the rear end bump.
NO!

Even when the damage is reported to the insurance company and everything done exactly by the book, IT WILL NOT BE RECORDED IF ITS NOT A WRITE OFF.

In your case your car WAS written off.

Edit: Yes the insurance company will record it, but as buyers in the general public we cannot see if a car has had accident damage repaired if that damage did not write off the car.



Edited by mstrbkr on Thursday 7th November 08:53

WonkeyDonkey

1,022 posts

61 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
God some people are dim.

It's a Category S or N "WRITE OFF"

Not a cat S minor bump.

aaron_2000

3,993 posts

41 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
robinessex said:
Zippee said:
robinessex said:
mstrbkr said:
robinessex said:
According to the RAC, a cars damage history stays with the vehicle:-

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-sell...
Yes, but only if it's been written off and is given a category. Accident damage that doesn't result in a the vehicle being written off is categorically NOT recorded.
These people say it does:-

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/used-cars/621/what-...

And these

https://www.theaa.com/car-insurance/advice/damage-...

"Can I check if a second-hand car has ever been damaged to a Cat C or Cat D (S and N) level?

Yes, you can, and it's always good to be aware of all the facts about a vehicle before buying. Professional car vendors and traders must state whether a car has been previously written-off. However, not all private sellers will tell you."

The only way around it I can see, is if you have damage, don't report it, get it fixed privately yourself. Once an Insurance company is involved, it's marked for life.

Edited by robinessex on Thursday 7th November 08:22
Yes, but what you aren't getting is that if a car had been repaired then it won't be a cat s,n,c or d. It's just repaired and NOT recorded.
The cat markers are for written off only, ie/ insurance pays out in full to the owner and the car goes to salvage.
Only if the damage IS NOT REPORTED TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY. If the damage is S or N, and it gets repaired via the insurance company, believe me, the insurance company WILL record it. They did on a past car of mine. (Bumped up the bum on the M4. New rear bumper, and few brackets, plus a 1 tail light). I sold it via eBay for spares and repairs when it had to go, but the guy who bought sure knew about the rear end bump.
Alright then, if you're so sure it wasn't crashed then how do you think the front end ended up in such a state?

robinessex

8,490 posts

139 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
mstrbkr said:
robinessex said:
Only if the damage IS NOT REPORTED TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY. If the damage is S or N, and it gets repaired via the insurance company, believe me, the insurance company WILL record it. They did on a past car of mine. (Bumped up the bum on the M4. New rear bumper, and few brackets, plus a 1 tail light). I sold it via eBay for spares and repairs when it had to go, but the guy who bought sure knew about the rear end bump.
NO!

Even when the damage is reported to the insurance company and everything done exactly by the book, IT WILL NOT BE RECORDED IF ITS NOT A WRITE OFF.

In your case your car WAS written off.

Edit: Yes the insurance company will record it, but as buyers in the general public we cannot see if a car has had accident damage repaired if that damage did not write off the car.

Edited by mstrbkr on Thursday 7th November 08:53
No it wasn't written off. It was repaired, and used it for 2 more years. The guy who bought knew it had been repaired, I never told him either

aaron_2000

3,993 posts

41 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
robinessex said:
aaron_2000 said:
robinessex said:
Zippee said:
robinessex said:
mstrbkr said:
robinessex said:
According to the RAC, a cars damage history stays with the vehicle:-

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-sell...
Yes, but only if it's been written off and is given a category. Accident damage that doesn't result in a the vehicle being written off is categorically NOT recorded.
These people say it does:-

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/used-cars/621/what-...

And these

https://www.theaa.com/car-insurance/advice/damage-...

"Can I check if a second-hand car has ever been damaged to a Cat C or Cat D (S and N) level?

Yes, you can, and it's always good to be aware of all the facts about a vehicle before buying. Professional car vendors and traders must state whether a car has been previously written-off. However, not all private sellers will tell you."

The only way around it I can see, is if you have damage, don't report it, get it fixed privately yourself. Once an Insurance company is involved, it's marked for life.

Edited by robinessex on Thursday 7th November 08:22
Yes, but what you aren't getting is that if a car had been repaired then it won't be a cat s,n,c or d. It's just repaired and NOT recorded.
The cat markers are for written off only, ie/ insurance pays out in full to the owner and the car goes to salvage.
Only if the damage IS NOT REPORTED TO THE INSURANCE COMPANY. If the damage is S or N, and it gets repaired via the insurance company, believe me, the insurance company WILL record it. They did on a past car of mine. (Bumped up the bum on the M4. New rear bumper, and few brackets, plus a 1 tail light). I sold it via eBay for spares and repairs when it had to go, but the guy who bought sure knew about the rear end bump.
Alright then, if you're so sure it wasn't crashed then how do you think the front end ended up in such a state?
Go read the postings again. I never said that at all, someone else did.
I'm not reading through all that laughlaugh I already know what happened to it. An unrecorded front end smash, pretty basic really. Certainly didn't need a page of waffle about it.

robinessex

8,490 posts

139 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
Or maybe the bonnet is slightly twisted or mis-aligned. Seen that before

Greg the Fish

956 posts

24 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
Alright then, if you're so sure it wasn't crashed then how do you think the front end ended up in such a state?
Gemma Collins sat on it

robinessex

8,490 posts

139 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
Have we stirred it up here, the ad has disappeared it seems?

aaron_2000

3,993 posts

41 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
robinessex said:
Or maybe the bonnet is slightly twisted or mis-aligned. Seen that before
And in the process changed it's colour and the wing alignment? Don't be silly.

Lord.Vader

3,145 posts

97 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
robinessex said:
mstrbkr said:
robinessex said:
According to the RAC, a cars damage history stays with the vehicle:-

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/buying-and-sell...
Yes, but only if it's been written off and is given a category. Accident damage that doesn't result in a the vehicle being written off is categorically NOT recorded.
These people say it does:-

https://www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/used-cars/621/what-...

And these

https://www.theaa.com/car-insurance/advice/damage-...

"Can I check if a second-hand car has ever been damaged to a Cat C or Cat D (S and N) level?

Yes, you can, and it's always good to be aware of all the facts about a vehicle before buying. Professional car vendors and traders must state whether a car has been previously written-off. However, not all private sellers will tell you."

The only way around it I can see, is if you have damage, don't report it, get it fixed privately yourself. Once an Insurance company is involved, it's marked for life.

Edited by robinessex on Thursday 7th November 08:22
Not sure if you understand.

Two of my cars have been crashed, neither have any marker against them and both were repaired, one privately i.e. no insurance, one by the insurance but within the percentage value so as not to be written off.

A cat is only assigned when a vehicle is deemed uneconomical to repair and written off, then subsequently bought by the previous owner / a garage / business to repair themselves, in which case it keeps the marker.

You seem to think that a damaged bumper on a brand new Lambo' would result in a permanent maker, which in turn would mean the insurance company have paid out the full value of the car to the owner ...

epom

7,076 posts

119 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
The same argument popped up in another thread recently. Can't remember which. Please take it back there. This thread was always on the enjoyable unpolluted variety.

mstrbkr

7,806 posts

156 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
Let's hope that is the end of it now.

So, the £50k E34 M5 on the front page... overpriced?

aaron_2000

3,993 posts

41 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
epom said:
The same argument popped up in another thread recently. Can't remember which. Please take it back there. This thread was always on the enjoyable unpolluted variety.
I don't understand how some crash damage can lead to a page of absolutely nothing. Moving away from all of that, this made me laugh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-BMW-325i-2-5-auto-...

Lt. Columbo

4,553 posts

56 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
mstrbkr said:
Let's hope that is the end of it now.

So, the £50k E34 M5 on the front page... overpriced?
Yes. Obviously there are more people want one than available, that's why they're expensive. But pricing like that soars above what people are prepared to pay and is just greed.

RazerSauber

926 posts

18 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
I don't understand how some crash damage can lead to a page of absolutely nothing. Moving away from all of that, this made me laugh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-BMW-325i-2-5-auto-...
That's great, the price reduces £400 by the time you've finished reading the advert. At that rate, it'll be a good price in about a week!

thebigmacmoomin

2,567 posts

127 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
aaron_2000 said:
I don't understand how some crash damage can lead to a page of absolutely nothing. Moving away from all of that, this made me laugh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-BMW-325i-2-5-auto-...
The car having a tape player is enough to make me laugh, were they a thing even in 2002 and even on a decent spec BMW.

aaron_2000

3,993 posts

41 months

Thursday 7th November 2019
quotequote all
thebigmacmoomin said:
aaron_2000 said:
I don't understand how some crash damage can lead to a page of absolutely nothing. Moving away from all of that, this made me laugh

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-BMW-325i-2-5-auto-...
The car having a tape player is enough to make me laugh, were they a thing even in 2002 and even on a decent spec BMW.
They were on most E46's, any decent spec had a CD player or Sat Nav though.