Anyone got a Toyota Auris Estate and a tape measure?

Anyone got a Toyota Auris Estate and a tape measure?

Author
Discussion

Jonny_

Original Poster:

3,079 posts

173 months

Friday 26th December 2014
quotequote all
...and wants to earn an Internet Pint (or a real one if local!)?

The other half is pestering me to buy a new bookcase and display cabinet. Trouble is, Ikea want £35 to deliver the ones she wants and I already begrudge the £400 the damned things will cost.

But... I've got an Auris estate due for delivery mid-January, and being the hybrid it should get me to the Leeds Ikea and back on a fiver...

So: will a 2 metre long flat pack fit in the back of one, assuming rear seats folded flat and drivers seat occupied by a six-foot bloke?

All the info from reviews, brochures etc just tells me how many litres the boot holds; unfortunately furniture isn't sold by the litre wink

(previous experience suggests that I've no chance with the large-but-awkward load space in my current Passat saloon.)

p.s. 2 pints if someone ventures out in the snow to check! wink

Mercury00

3,761 posts

122 months

Friday 26th December 2014
quotequote all
My GF and I fitted a flat pack double bed from Ikea in her mk1 Ka recently. I'm almost certain an Auris estate is going to be more than fine.

Transiter

257 posts

79 months

Friday 26th December 2014
quotequote all
I don't have one so I can't physically measure it, hopefully someone else comes along with one. Looking at the brochure the length from the rear of the car to the front door opening is c.2m, so assuming the rear seats go flat you should hopefully be ok.

Obviously I'm not 100% but hope it's of some help.


Mercury00

3,761 posts

122 months

Friday 26th December 2014
quotequote all
Don't forget you can simply wind the front passenger seat down and forward to use the space there too.

Jonny_

Original Poster:

3,079 posts

173 months

Friday 26th December 2014
quotequote all
Mercury00 said:
Don't forget you can simply wind the front passenger seat down and forward to use the space there too.
Oh no. She doesn't get away that easily! She wants the furniture, she has to endure Ikea as well! wink

Thanks Transiter, that would suggest it'll be ok. Wish I'd had the foresight to measure the demo car I had!

Transiter

257 posts

79 months

Friday 26th December 2014
quotequote all
Jonny_ said:
Oh no. She doesn't get away that easily! She wants the furniture, she has to endure Ikea as well! wink

Thanks Transiter, that would suggest it'll be ok. Wish I'd had the foresight to measure the demo car I had!
No problem.

To be honest if you went to the dealer that you ordered the car from I doubt they'll say anything to you measuring it.

sjg

6,855 posts

231 months

Friday 26th December 2014
quotequote all
181.9cm. http://www.rica.org.uk/5031

You can usually get away with longer flat-packs by putting the passenger seat right back or forward, as long as you don't need to carry a person in it.

Jonny_

Original Poster:

3,079 posts

173 months

Saturday 27th December 2014
quotequote all
sjg said:
181.9cm. http://www.rica.org.uk/5031

You can usually get away with longer flat-packs by putting the passenger seat right back or forward, as long as you don't need to carry a person in it.
Thanks very much! That's a hugely useful site beer

Thought the "passenger seat all the way forward" trick might have buggered my plan to drag the mrs round Ikea (don't see why i should suffer that alone!) but thinking about it, the split folding rear seat should allow her to perch behind me. Hoho!

dazwalsh

5,718 posts

107 months

Saturday 27th December 2014
quotequote all
You could sit her in the driver side rear seat and drop the other rear seats down and the front passenger seat forward so you have the entire left hand side of the car for the furniture. I did this with 2 lengths of worktop that were 2.4m long into a focus estate.

Then put your chair all the way back so she is squished and then she might think about the error of her ways, pffft ikea

Jonny_

Original Poster:

3,079 posts

173 months

Saturday 27th December 2014
quotequote all
dazwalsh said:
You could sit her in the driver side rear seat and drop the other rear seats down and the front passenger seat forward so you have the entire left hand side of the car for the furniture. I did this with 2 lengths of worktop that were 2.4m long into a focus estate.

Then put your chair all the way back so she is squished and then she might think about the error of her ways, pffft ikea
My thinking exactly! hehe

Super Slo Mo

5,366 posts

164 months

Saturday 27th December 2014
quotequote all
I have one but I'm at work and the wife has buggered off in it. Load space with seats down and people in both front seats is roughly 1.8 x 1.1 metres, the narrowest part being between the wheel arches, which might actually be less than 1.1 metres, I can't recall exactly.
I've not tried folding the front passenger seat forwards, but I can tell you that you can get 3 metre long items (wood, drainpipes etc) in, resting on the dashboard and threaded between the two front seats.

Save Ferris

2,458 posts

179 months

Saturday 27th December 2014
quotequote all
Toyota Salesman here wavey

I've just gone and measured one we have in stock, and to confirm its about 180cm.

Jonny_

Original Poster:

3,079 posts

173 months

Saturday 27th December 2014
quotequote all
Thanks guys! beerbeerbeerbeer

Passenger seat fully forward looks like the way to go, then.