RE: Audi SQ5 Plus: Review

Author
Discussion

Ranger 6

5,999 posts

188 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Ashok said:
I'd still take an Alpina XD3 over this any day.
Yup - a far better drive.

I tried the SQ5 before buying my 35d. The BMW is just better all round.

GroundEffect

11,226 posts

95 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
My mate has a normal SQ5. Quite a machine really. Not my thing, but it is certainly capable.


Nors

1,218 posts

94 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
I was on a tour last year with one of these in the mix. Handling, lack of communication, say what you like, this thing went like st and the driver was easily managing to fling it round highland roads at a pace that surprised everyone!! Looks like it corners just fine from where I was sitting.

big_rob_sydney

2,238 posts

133 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
"Is it a knockout?"

Sure. At 2+ tonnes, whatever, or rather whoever, you hit, you'll go through.

Yep, this is yet another critique on the weight of these behemoths. Fully laden with family and crap, god only knows how much it'll weigh then.

The vehicular arms race is vulgar and crass. If people say things like "I only bought it so I could see over the traffic ahead of me", then what happens when everyone else does the same. Stupidity at its finest.

cerb4.5lee

10,916 posts

119 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Have been considering these now we have a second child because the 640d isn't the most spacious thing inside for four with an isofix base and baby seat, the SQ5 offers very similar performance/economy with a welcome dose of practicality(god I sound like a boring old fart!).

I do like these a lot to be fair, not been up close and personal to one though so don't really know how roomy the boot/rear seats are though.
Advertisement

AshBurrows

1,967 posts

101 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Perfect for doing 150 on the M40. Everyone will be very impressed.

smilo996

1,477 posts

109 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Change the wheels and Logo, hey presto, a Porsche.

A supersized estate car then.

Dan Trent

1,825 posts

107 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
smilo996 said:
Change the wheels and Logo, hey presto, a Porsche.
Or look under the skirts of a Macan, spot all the chassis/powertrain components with four rings stamped on them and, hey presto, an Audi with 20 per cent added to the price!

Dan

buckline

350 posts

102 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Ranger 6 said:
Yup - a far better drive.

I tried the SQ5 before buying my 35d. The BMW is just better all round.
Not on internal space it's not. Kids seats these days are a bd, when you've got two of them and a dog plus pram I found the Q5 had more internal space.

richyd

252 posts

166 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Dan Trent said:
smilo996 said:
Change the wheels and Logo, hey presto, a Porsche.
Or look under the skirts of a Macan, spot all the chassis/powertrain components with four rings stamped on them and, hey presto, an Audi with 20 per cent added to the price!

Dan
Or just buy a Macan as it steers better and only costs £2500 more (true Dan, I specced 'em both when I bought our Macan), and enjoy near zero depreciation. It's by far the cheapest option in the real world. Oh, and did I mention it steers better...?

Dan Trent

1,825 posts

107 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
richyd said:
Or just buy a Macan as it steers better and only costs £2500 more (true Dan, I specced 'em both when I bought our Macan), and enjoy near zero depreciation. It's by far the cheapest option in the real world. Oh, and did I mention it steers better...?
You've got me there!

Dan

richyd

252 posts

166 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Dan Trent said:
Or look under the skirts of a Macan, spot all the chassis/powertrain components with four rings stamped on them and, hey presto, an Audi with 20 per cent added to the price!

Dan
Actually Dan - for a professional journo, I'm really surprised and disappointed to see you mis-quote something so badly. A Diesel Macan retails at £46k before options. The car in your article is quoted at just over £50k, £55k once specced.

I don't see a 20% price differential anywhere...??? Shoddy work mate.

Sure, Porsche options are expensive, but a well-specced Macan (incl sports seats, panoramic roof, phone prep, bigger wheels, privacy etc etc) will still come in just south of £55k - Mine did. You also seem to forget the host of differences in the cars, and how they drive. PDK box.... is that Audi..? Interior, Audi..? Styling...Audi? Suspension setup and tuning.?? Steering feel....?

Come on mate!


E65Ross

22,046 posts

151 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Bhuvsta said:
ahenners said:
Alucidnation said:
What the fk is with this obsession with vague steering and understeer?

So what?

Near enough everyone that purchases this will not be necessarily pushing this car anywhere near its limits.


Jesus.
Might as well just buy the 2.0TDI S Line Plus and save £15k then.
Indeed. You would expect a performance version to have decent handling.
Most people don't care about how much steering feel there is. They'll care far more about straight line performance than that. And that's why this is their better option over the 2.0 diesel. I'm surprised neither of you can grasp that.

Adz The Rat

9,272 posts

148 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Very impressive machines, stupidly quick for a diesel SUV. I would have one in a heartbeat.

donutsina911

1,014 posts

123 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
It's a hoot. As a second car for lugging round a pregnant OH and then a post pregnant OH, with baby and all the crap that entails, towing a RIB and general family in the sticks duties, it does what it says on the tin brilliantly. Never checked the fuel consumption, but others are seeing 40+ and for 2 tonne 0-60 in 5 second tank, that's good going. The only negative is the nav/mmi is a bit old hat, but it all works well enough.

When without OH and the heir, it's comically quick. To anyone who thinks a Q5 with a 2 litre oil burner is a better choice - only if you want to make progress at glacial speeds - we've got a 16 plate 2.0 Diesel A4 on the drive as a courtesy car today from Portsmouth Audi - it's an asthmatic, clattery bag of spanners under the bonnet - god knows how it would pull something the size of a Q5 along.

donutsina911

1,014 posts

123 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
richyd said:
Dan Trent said:
Or look under the skirts of a Macan, spot all the chassis/powertrain components with four rings stamped on them and, hey presto, an Audi with 20 per cent added to the price!

Dan
Actually Dan - for a professional journo, I'm really surprised and disappointed to see you mis-quote something so badly. A Diesel Macan retails at £46k before options. The car in your article is quoted at just over £50k, £55k once specced.

I don't see a 20% price differential anywhere...??? Shoddy work mate.

Sure, Porsche options are expensive, but a well-specced Macan (incl sports seats, panoramic roof, phone prep, bigger wheels, privacy etc etc) will still come in just south of £55k - Mine did. You also seem to forget the host of differences in the cars, and how they drive. PDK box.... is that Audi..? Interior, Audi..? Styling...Audi? Suspension setup and tuning.?? Steering feel....?

Come on mate!
I don't think Dan's far off the money actually. I've just spec'd up a Macan on the Porsche site and with comparable options to the SQ5 we bought and it comes in at £50,558. (http://www.porsche-code.com/PHR4NCI1) Our invoice was for £42,179, so 17% less...




aston addict

198 posts

97 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Dan Trent said:
smilo996 said:
Change the wheels and Logo, hey presto, a Porsche.
Or look under the skirts of a Macan, spot all the chassis/powertrain components with four rings stamped on them and, hey presto, an Audi with 20 per cent added to the price!

Dan
Dan, are you sure about your comment 'They're still fundamentally the same car though'?

How much do you believe that they are the same? They look very different. Different interiors. Different engines. Similarities in the chassis but significantly worked over. Does that make them the same car?

And do I detect that you're maturing from your SUV-hatred?!

Dan Trent

1,825 posts

107 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
richyd said:
Actually Dan - for a professional journo, I'm really surprised and disappointed to see you mis-quote something so badly. A Diesel Macan retails at £46k before options. The car in your article is quoted at just over £50k, £55k once specced.
Ah, but that's the beauty of specs, stats and options - I'm sure with the necessary time and inclination we could probably both prove ourselves right! biggrin

Your point isn't entirely without basis though, I'll take that. Though on the other hand I was astonished to see the number of £65-£70K *used* Macan Diesels for sale at OPCs. And if we're talking hp/£ the Audi remains considerably better value. Until you start figuring in stuff like, y'know, steering and suspension!

Dan

Dan Trent

1,825 posts

107 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
aston addict said:
Dan, are you sure about your comment 'They're still fundamentally the same car though'?

How much do you believe that they are the same? They look very different. Different interiors. Different engines. Similarities in the chassis but significantly worked over. Does that make them the same car?

And do I detect that you're maturing from your SUV-hatred?!
From cabin space to Audi-stamped suspension components on both I'd say there's enough hardware similarity there to back the comment up, although of course if calibration, set-up and some additional optional features (eg. air suspension) make a big difference to the way they drive. I do wonder if the Porsche would have done things differently with a bespoke platform - in the Macan Turbo I drove you could feel body flex/scuttle shake with the PASM in its firmest setting and, relatively speaking, the Q5 is an old platform to be using.

And maturing? I have less of an issue with the next size of car up to be honest - these ones are nearly as heavy, not much smaller on the road but seem a lot more compromised on interior space. Can't argue they're popular, profitable products and simply catering to demand though!

My first thought when opening the SQ5 up though? 'This would be mega in an A6 Avant!' Maybe I'm just a bit of a traditionalist!

Dan

aston addict

198 posts

97 months

Tuesday 14th June 2016
quotequote all
Dan Trent said:
aston addict said:
Dan, are you sure about your comment 'They're still fundamentally the same car though'?

How much do you believe that they are the same? They look very different. Different interiors. Different engines. Similarities in the chassis but significantly worked over. Does that make them the same car?

And do I detect that you're maturing from your SUV-hatred?!
From cabin space to Audi-stamped suspension components on both I'd say there's enough hardware similarity there to back the comment up, although of course if calibration, set-up and some additional optional features (eg. air suspension) make a big difference to the way they drive. I do wonder if the Porsche would have done things differently with a bespoke platform - in the Macan Turbo I drove you could feel body flex/scuttle shake with the PASM in its firmest setting and, relatively speaking, the Q5 is an old platform to be using.

And maturing? I have less of an issue with the next size of car up to be honest - these ones are nearly as heavy, not much smaller on the road but seem a lot more compromised on interior space. Can't argue they're popular, profitable products and simply catering to demand though!

My first thought when opening the SQ5 up though? 'This would be mega in an A6 Avant!' Maybe I'm just a bit of a traditionalist!

Dan
Hi Dan - Interesting comments. I ask the questions from the viewpoint of a perspective buyer, and haven't driven either of them. I like the concept of increased ride height / ground clearance but also want some performance and load space, and something a little more 'cool' than an estate. I've ridden in the back of a Q5 and did find it small, but probably no smaller than an A4 avant.

Maybe you're right and it's better to go for the next size up, although they seem to be a lot bigger, esp. on the outside.