Ask a car salesman anything...anything at all.

Ask a car salesman anything...anything at all.

Author
Discussion

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Alex said:
Why do you never respond to emails? I don't have time for a phone call.
I do try to answer all emails asap, but sometimes with people in and out all day, phones ringing, cars and paperwork to get ready for handover, problems with cars in workshop to sort, emails are sometimes way down on the priority list.

johnwilliams77

5,184 posts

42 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Mexman said:
I do try to answer all emails asap, but sometimes with people in and out all day, phones ringing, cars and paperwork to get ready for handover, problems with cars in workshop to sort, emails are sometimes way down on the priority list.
Why do you think car salesman have such an awful reputation? i.e. equivalent to traffic wardens.

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
skilly1 said:
If you sell a new car for £40k with average options how much money does the dealership make and how much commission do you make ?
I sell used only.
I'm sure one of the new car sales guys will be along shortly to answer...
Thanks

KTF

7,999 posts

89 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Do balloons sell cars?

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
johnwilliams77 said:
Why do you think car salesman have such an awful reputation? i.e. equivalent to traffic wardens.
Stereotyping I suppose.
We do our best, but cars are very complicated machines and they will go wrong.. New as well as used.
Advertisement

Nickp82

1,611 posts

32 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Mexman said:
skilly1 said:
If you sell a new car for £40k with average options how much money does the dealership make and how much commission do you make ?
I sell used only.
I'm sure one of the new car sales guys will be along shortly to answer...
Thanks
Options have little to no bearing on the sales commission - the add-on products (GAP, Paint Protection etc) are what earns the good money!

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
KTF said:
Do balloons sell cars?
Good question.
Yes!!
Balloons and flags do seem to generate footfall.
Weird, I know, but it works!!

swagmeister

196 posts

31 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Alex said:
Why do you never respond to emails? I don't have time for a phone call.
Thats a strange one, I always find it takes 10 minutes to type what can be said in 5 minutes. Maybe you are a slow speaker.

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
JuniorD said:
Has a customer ever been so impressed with you or any of your colleagues suave demeanor/slick patter/ general charm/ faux leather shoes (unlikely I know) that they offered themselves for a bit of how's your father?

Back in the day, when I was a younger chap, without grey hair, yes, I dated a few lady customers who had purchased cars.

KTF

7,999 posts

89 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Mexman said:
Good question.
Yes!!
Balloons and flags do seem to generate footfall.
Weird, I know, but it works!!
What about straight lines? wink

Also whats the best 'gold' you have found in a part-ex?

AshBurrows

1,969 posts

101 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Are >50% of your colleagues called Gary?

Cold

6,343 posts

29 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Why do some people think that car salesmen are experts in wristwatches and/or shoe quality?

berlintaxi

7,655 posts

112 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Nickp82 said:
the add-on products (GAP, Paint Protection etc) are what earns the good money!
How much is "good money"?

Ej74

1,001 posts

124 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Are the suits flammable and is there a fire extinguisher on hand permanently

juice

5,305 posts

221 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Do people actually go to your 'VIP' events ?

Toyoda

1,055 posts

39 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Do you know anything abut cars or have any interest in them whatsoever?

Ninja59

2,049 posts

51 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Are you lot really hated by after sales that much? (I know a few that work on the after sales side and they always seem to have a grumble with sales being clowns more or less).

How many cheap aftershaves do you own?

KTF

7,999 posts

89 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Have you ever had anyone came in who is dressed like a tramp but wanted to buy the most expensive car you sell?

If so, did they actually purchase it or go off in a huff when they were ignored then come back and do burnouts in a car they bought somewhere else to show you who wears the trousers?

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
KTF said:
Mexman said:
Good question.
Yes!!
Balloons and flags do seem to generate footfall.
Weird, I know, but it works!!
What about straight lines? wink

Also whats the best 'gold' you have found in a part-ex?
Hah!
Spent 8 hours solid on Tuesday, moving the pitch around, lining everything up, washing stuff, vacumming cars, its one part of the job I hate....musical cars.!
Have found Garmins under seats, the odd few quid here and there, even 2x£20 pound notes under the seat.
Gold necklaces, watches, all manner of stuff really, but nothing worth mega money.
Its more stuff you don't want to find, bottles of lube, Viagra pills, dildo's, and strange stains usually.

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Ninja59 said:
Are you lot really hated by after sales that much? (I know a few that work on the after sales side and they always seem to have a grumble with sales being clowns more or less).

How many cheap aftershaves do you own?
Its an ongoing war, sales v service.
They want us to pay full retail for stuff that we don't want to pay for.
Funnily enough, I don't wear aftershave, can't stand the stuff...