Ask a car salesman anything...anything at all.

Ask a car salesman anything...anything at all.

Author
Discussion

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Toyoda said:
Do you know anything abut cars or have any interest in them whatsoever?
I know what I need to know about cars, but my interest in mainstream stuff has wained over the years.
I know for example what to look out for on certain makes/models, problems, common faults etc.

darker grapefruit

360 posts

39 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
How do you celebrate closing a sale, e.g. bang a gong/ colleague, do a John Cleese silly walk ? I need an answer by the end of today please.

KTF

7,999 posts

89 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Do you find that you have to 'sell' or are more people coming in and saying I want X in Y colour with these options now its easier to do the research beforehand?

KTF

7,999 posts

89 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
What do you think of carwow?

Never you mind

1,285 posts

51 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
I got this in an email from a sales man.

"Please keep me updated with what your plans are and if your passing drop by for a coffee any time."

Will he get annoyed if I keep going in for free coffee?
Advertisement

Nickp82

1,611 posts

32 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
berlintaxi said:
Nickp82 said:
the add-on products (GAP, Paint Protection etc) are what earns the good money!
How much is "good money"?
Commission schemes are obviously geared towards those who 'do the numbers' but if you sell a profitable used car with a number of add-ons you can reasonably expect to earn £300-500.

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Ej74 said:
Are the suits flammable and is there a fire extinguisher on hand permanently
I'm quite lucky, not expected to wear suit, shirt and trousers. Job done

Ron99

870 posts

20 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
How often do scary test drives occur? How do you deal with those situations?

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Never you mind said:
I got this in an email from a sales man.

"Please keep me updated with what your plans are and if your passing drop by for a coffee any time."

Will he get annoyed if I keep going in for free coffee?
Lol.
Err, eventually yes, if you don't buy anything...

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
darker grapefruit said:
How do you celebrate closing a sale, e.g. bang a gong/ colleague, do a John Cleese silly walk ? I need an answer by the end of today please.
Definitely the Cleese silly walk...

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Ron99 said:
How often do scary test drives occur? How do you deal with those situations?
Good question.
You really do risk your life with some people.
I would say, one in five test drives, you have a WTF moment one in ten will be an actual brown trouser moment.
A salesman I used to work with back in around 2000, was killed by a girl on test drive.
She veered across the nearside lane from the outside lane on a dual carriageway, up the embankment and rolled the car 5 times.
Peugeot 206 from memory.
She walked away, without a scratch, salesman dead, massive head injury from the 'b' pillar.
That was a bad conversation with his wife, when she arrived at the dealership to collect his personal belongings.
RIP Paul...

Malcs87

8 posts

18 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Mexman said:
Good question.
You really do risk your life with some people.
I would say, one in five test drives, you have a WTF moment one in ten will be an actual brown trouser moment.
A salesman I used to work with back in around 2000, was killed by a girl on test drive.
She veered across the nearside lane from the outside lane on a dual carriageway, up the embankment and rolled the car 5 times.
Peugeot 206 from memory.
She walked away, without a scratch, salesman dead, massive head injury from the 'b' pillar.
That was a bad conversation with his wife, when she arrived at the dealership to collect his personal belongings.
Ah man, that sounds horrible

WestyCarl

1,961 posts

64 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
OK, serious question; how many cars per week do you sell (and whats the average value)?

Malcs87

8 posts

18 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Mexman said:
Good question.
You really do risk your life with some people.
I would say, one in five test drives, you have a WTF moment one in ten will be an actual brown trouser moment.
A salesman I used to work with back in around 2000, was killed by a girl on test drive.
She veered across the nearside lane from the outside lane on a dual carriageway, up the embankment and rolled the car 5 times.
Peugeot 206 from memory.
She walked away, without a scratch, salesman dead, massive head injury from the 'b' pillar.
That was a bad conversation with his wife, when she arrived at the dealership to collect his personal belongings.
Ah man, that sounds horrible

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
KTF said:
Do you find that you have to 'sell' or are more people coming in and saying I want X in Y colour with these options now its easier to do the research beforehand?
I think people have already done the research they need, the internet has a lot to answer for.
Most people know what the want, although you do still have to lead some people by the hand and babysit them

mike74

1,131 posts

71 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
swagmeister said:
Thats a strange one, I always find it takes 10 minutes to type what can be said in 5 minutes. Maybe you are a slow speaker.
I don't think it's strange at all, I also much prefer to enquire via email as I don't have access to phone during usual 9-5 working hours, so only get chance to make my enquiries early morning or late evening.

Also email ensures I can get all my queries in (in concise bullet points) without forgetting any. This gives the dealer the opportunity to give me an equally brief, concise and accurate reply. If they don't then I know they're being deliberately shifty and evasive and it's not worth pursuing things any further

Most dealers I've visited never seem to be so run off their feet that they don't even have time to type out a quick email.
I suspect the reason most dealers don't respond to emails is...

a. It doesn't give them the same opportunity to use their silver tongued sales spiel on you.
b. They don't want to put anything in writing.




One question I'd like to ask is how/why do so many used dealers these days seem to have very little need or desire to actually sell cars and turnover stock? They all seem to be quite happy having overpriced cars sat unsold on their forecourts for months or even years.

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
WestyCarl said:
OK, serious question; how many cars per week do you sell (and whats the average value)?
Probably on average, I will sell around 5 to 8 per week.
Average value on used, around £4k.

designforlife

2,383 posts

102 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Mexman said:
Ron99 said:
How often do scary test drives occur? How do you deal with those situations?
Good question.
You really do risk your life with some people.
I would say, one in five test drives, you have a WTF moment one in ten will be an actual brown trouser moment.
A salesman I used to work with back in around 2000, was killed by a girl on test drive.
She veered across the nearside lane from the outside lane on a dual carriageway, up the embankment and rolled the car 5 times.
Peugeot 206 from memory.
She walked away, without a scratch, salesman dead, massive head injury from the 'b' pillar.
That was a bad conversation with his wife, when she arrived at the dealership to collect his personal belongings.
RIP Paul...
i f**kin hope the girl got done for that.

TheLordJohn

5,746 posts

85 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
Hats off for starting this topic.
Some interesting questions and responses.

Fingers crossed it remains reasonably civil!

Mexman

Original Poster:

1,086 posts

23 months

Thursday 28th September 2017
quotequote all
mike74 said:
swagmeister said:
Thats a strange one, I always find it takes 10 minutes to type what can be said in 5 minutes. Maybe you are a slow speaker.
I don't think it's strange at all, I also much prefer to enquire via email as I don't have access to phone during usual 9-5 working hours, so only get chance to make my enquiries early morning or late evening.

Also email ensures I can get all my queries in (in concise bullet points) without forgetting any. This gives the dealer the opportunity to give me an equally brief, concise and accurate reply. If they don't then I know they're being deliberately shifty and evasive and it's not worth pursuing things any further

Most dealers I've visited never seem to be so run off their feet that they don't even have time to type out a quick email.
I suspect the reason most dealers don't respond to emails is...

a. It doesn't give them the same opportunity to use their silver tongued sales spiel on you.
b. They don't want to put anything in writing.




One question I'd like to ask is how/why do so many used dealers these days seem to have very little need or desire to actually sell cars and turnover stock? They all seem to be quite happy having overpriced cars sat unsold on their forecourts for months or even years.
See my previous answer regarding emails.
I am certainly run off my feet for most of every day, half the time, grabbing a bite to eat in peace and quite is a mission.
A dealer who dosnt need to sell stock, is not a viable business.
No one wants over age stock sitting around depreciating.