One single thing that makes you think "knob" Vol 4

One single thing that makes you think "knob" Vol 4

Author
Discussion

yellowjack

11,512 posts

107 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
George Smiley said:
Lycra clad cyclists in the inside lane of a 2 lane dual carriage way with a 40mph limit

In fact, cyclists it the main.
But you'd be OK with a cyclist in jeans and a t-shirt in the nearside lane of a dual carriageway? Or with a "Lycra clad" cyclist riding in lane two of said two-lane DC?

Wassamadda diddums? Did your driving instructor neglect to teach you how to approach and deal with normal everyday situations out on the road?

What do you expect a cyclist to do when a single carriageway 30 mph limit morphs into a 40/50 mph or NSL two-lane DC? Just stop, abandon their journey, turn around an go home?

TL;DR? rolleyes Yawn. Is it already time for this imbecilic nonsense again...

Solocle

926 posts

25 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
yellowjack said:
George Smiley said:
Lycra clad cyclists in the inside lane of a 2 lane dual carriage way with a 40mph limit

In fact, cyclists it the main.
But you'd be OK with a cyclist in jeans and a t-shirt in the nearside lane of a dual carriageway? Or with a "Lycra clad" cyclist riding in lane two of said two-lane DC?

Wassamadda diddums? Did your driving instructor neglect to teach you how to approach and deal with normal everyday situations out on the road?

What do you expect a cyclist to do when a single carriageway 30 mph limit morphs into a 40/50 mph or NSL two-lane DC? Just stop, abandon their journey, turn around an go home?

TL;DR? rolleyes Yawn. Is it already time for this imbecilic nonsense again...
Hell, I've been the Lycra clad cyclist in L2 of a two lane DC. It was a 30 mph limit, and I was using the lane correctly by overtaking some motorists. I've also been in L1 of a three lane DC. There's a whole fcensoredg lane (or two!) in which you can overtake if you're looking further up the road than the end of your bonnet. Do you get so riled up by tractors, which often move slower than cyclists?

George Smiley

1,831 posts

22 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
this knob was sat in L2 dawdling along dressed up in a coloured suit that, when he was head down, made him look like a giant arse grape.

L1 was empty, we chose not to undertake him as at any second he would do the manoeuvre wobble signal crash claim we aimed our car at him move.

Bikes really have no place on main carriageways, its why I use the provided cycle paths and when they run out, I use the pavement.

Etypephil

172 posts

19 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
George Smiley said:
this knob was sat in L2 dawdling along dressed up in a coloured suit that, when he was head down, made him look like a giant arse grape.

L1 was empty, we chose not to undertake him as at any second he would do the manoeuvre wobble signal crash claim we aimed our car at him move.

Bikes really have no place on main carriageways, its why I use the provided cycle paths and when they run out, I use the pavement.
In your original post you stated:

"Lycra clad cyclists in the inside lane of a 2 lane dual carriage way with a 40mph limit",

now you say lane # 2, which is not the same thing; small wonder that others thought "knob" as they replied to you. rolleyes

Cyclists using the footpath should be knocked into the road by any inconvenienced pedestrians, preferably as a bus or lorry is passing. cool




Edited by Etypephil on Thursday 16th May 05:53

OpulentBob

10,606 posts

121 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Etypephil said:
George Smiley said:
this knob was sat in L2 dawdling along dressed up in a coloured suit that, when he was head down, made him look like a giant arse grape.

L1 was empty, we chose not to undertake him as at any second he would do the manoeuvre wobble signal crash claim we aimed our car at him move.

Bikes really have no place on main carriageways, its why I use the provided cycle paths and when they run out, I use the pavement.
In your original post you stated:

"Lycra clad cyclists in the inside lane of a 2 lane dual carriage way with a 40mph limit",

now you say lane # 2, which is not the same thing; small wonder that others thought "knob" as they replied to you. rolleyes

Cyclists using the footpath should be knocked into the road by any inconvenienced pedestrians, preferably as a bus or lorry is passing. cool




Edited by Etypephil on Thursday 16th May 05:53
O/T.

There is no definition for "inside" lane. The people that use that phrase also tend to call Lane 3 the "overtaking lane" rofl Like children, and wimmen do biggrin

Industry standard, and legally, is Lane 1, Lane 2, Lane 3.

But logically, the "standard" assumption for inside lane is incorrect. If you laid 4 shoelaces down in parallel, numbered from left to right as 1, 2, 3, 4, and assume they are 4 x lanes on a DC, 2 northbound and 2 southbound. Then, the "inside" lanes (as people refer to them) would actually be 1 and 4 - on the outside of the arrangement.
Advertisement

NWTony

2,329 posts

169 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
matchmaker said:
My younger son has had type 1 diabetes since he was 5 - he's now 26. Over the past two years he's had to undergo 4 operations to repair a detached retina in his left eye. They managed to save the eye, but he's been left with virtually no vision in it. This means that he can get a bit "spooked" when it is busy about him, as his left side vision is so poor.

To assist him, we bought a "Symbol Cane". This is not the "White Stick" used by blind people to navigate their way. Rather, it is to indicate that the user has limited vision. He was using it on Monday to go into town to meet up with his mum, when he was harangued in the street by a middle aged woman who called him a fraud and a disgrace for using a stick when he wasn't blind. It left him very shaken and has really dented his confidence about going out on his own.

I just wish I could meet with the ignorant fking bh and put her right about a few things!
I too hand never heard of symbol canes, just been to the RNIB website to see what they are about. My question is why does it have to be a cane at all? Unlike other canes it isn't used to find obstacles, its only carried to indicate poor eyesight. Why not carry something else or wear a badge instead? Might avoid situations like this?

nonsequitur

8,816 posts

57 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
hurstg01 said:
Might've missed....
You took that reply far better than I would have done.

nonsequitur

8,816 posts

57 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
OpulentBob said:
O/T.

There is no definition for "inside" lane. The people that use that phrase also tend to call Lane 3 the "overtaking lane" rofl Like children, and wimmen do biggrin

Industry standard, and legally, is Lane 1, Lane 2, Lane 3.

But logically, the "standard" assumption for inside lane is incorrect. If you laid 4 shoelaces down in parallel, numbered from left to right as 1, 2, 3, 4, and assume they are 4 x lanes on a DC, 2 northbound and 2 southbound. Then, the "inside" lanes (as people refer to them) would actually be 1 and 4 - on the outside of the arrangement.
Nice one Bob. I have posted many times on this subject when PHers have insisted that they were in the 'fast' 'slow' 'overtaking' 'inside' 'outside' lanes etc.Lane 1/2/3. So much easier to understand when a poster is describing a driving scenario that thay have been involved in or observed.

Etypephil

172 posts

19 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
OpulentBob said:
Etypephil said:
George Smiley said:
this knob was sat in L2 dawdling along dressed up in a coloured suit that, when he was head down, made him look like a giant arse grape.

L1 was empty, we chose not to undertake him as at any second he would do the manoeuvre wobble signal crash claim we aimed our car at him move.

Bikes really have no place on main carriageways, its why I use the provided cycle paths and when they run out, I use the pavement.
In your original post you stated:

"Lycra clad cyclists in the inside lane of a 2 lane dual carriage way with a 40mph limit",

now you say lane # 2, which is not the same thing; small wonder that others thought "knob" as they replied to you. rolleyes

Cyclists using the footpath should be knocked into the road by any inconvenienced pedestrians, preferably as a bus or lorry is passing. cool




Edited by Etypephil on Thursday 16th May 05:53
O/T.

There is no definition for "inside" lane. The people that use that phrase also tend to call Lane 3 the "overtaking lane" rofl Like children, and wimmen do biggrin

Industry standard, and legally, is Lane 1, Lane 2, Lane 3.

But logically, the "standard" assumption for inside lane is incorrect. If you laid 4 shoelaces down in parallel, numbered from left to right as 1, 2, 3, 4, and assume they are 4 x lanes on a DC, 2 northbound and 2 southbound. Then, the "inside" lanes (as people refer to them) would actually be 1 and 4 - on the outside of the arrangement.
Quite right; lane # 1, # 2, # 3, etc removes any doubt about which one is referred to, and although I agree with you about the logic of inside, the fact is that where the expression is used in English, it does refer to lane one, therefore the original post did not convey what was intended.
I had never really considered the matter, until my Hungarian wife questioned the logic. cool

Flibble

4,724 posts

122 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
I assume it came from the inside being synonymous with nearside of the car, i.e. in towards the kerb? It's definitely not unambiguous though.
I prefer numbered lanes, or just left, middle, right. Then at least you know what you're talking about.

Liquid Knight

15,429 posts

124 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Even with two lanes there's still not enough room for you to safely overtake a cyclist? silly

Book yourself an eye test and retake your driving test before you kill someone.

In the mean time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBi9m4nNPYQ

...you don't have to walk the hills of Tibet to find yourself.

j_4m

1,320 posts

5 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Liquid Knight said:
Even with two lanes there's still not enough room for you to safely overtake a cyclist? silly

Book yourself an eye test and retake your driving test before you kill someone.

In the mean time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBi9m4nNPYQ

...you don't have to walk the hills of Tibet to find yourself.
Whoever made that video is a sad, sad individual.

Mandalore

1,390 posts

54 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Sounds like another cyclist out looking to create some YouTube footage.

It must get very ‘friendly’ down the cycle club when they share that weeks catches.

Bobberoo99

7,740 posts

39 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
The knuckle dragging tt in a dark grey LWB Sprinter who tried to go up the inside of me at 5.40am, on a sliproad onto the M27 into 50mph limited section, firstly I was already in a queue of three cars behind an artic who were all in the right lane of the sliproad trying to join a reduced entry onto the motorway, secondly coming alongside me while I'm trying to join in amongst the trucks already there on the motorway really isn't helping the situation is it? And finally when he realised he couldn't get past on the inside as it was rapidly narrowing, he pushed in behind me in front of the Audi following me, so close to the rear of my car I couldn't see his windscreen, just a grille and headlights, because hey, it's obviously the sensible thing to do in a situation like that isn't it?!?!? rolleyes

Tankrizzo

4,978 posts

134 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Bobberoo99 said:
The knuckle dragging tt in a dark grey LWB Sprinter who tried to go up the inside of me at 5.40am, on a sliproad onto the M27 into 50mph limited section, firstly I was already in a queue of three cars behind an artic who were all in the right lane of the sliproad trying to join a reduced entry onto the motorway, secondly coming alongside me while I'm trying to join in amongst the trucks already there on the motorway really isn't helping the situation is it? And finally when he realised he couldn't get past on the inside as it was rapidly narrowing, he pushed in behind me in front of the Audi following me, so close to the rear of my car I couldn't see his windscreen, just a grille and headlights, because hey, it's obviously the sensible thing to do in a situation like that isn't it?!?!? rolleyes
Ufff tell me about it, every evening I commute home and have to join the M27 from the Cosham junction. The amount of people who barrel up the inside of the queuing traffic on the slip is insane.

George Smiley

1,831 posts

22 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
nonsequitur said:
Nice one Bob. I have posted many times on this subject when PHers have insisted that they were in the 'fast' 'slow' 'overtaking' 'inside' 'outside' lanes etc.Lane 1/2/3. So much easier to understand when a poster is describing a driving scenario that thay have been involved in or observed.
Your post screams knob.

I don’t call lanes the lorry, slow, fast lane. If you say near side you know it means kerb, if you say inside you know it means the one near the centre.

I bet you are they type that’s used terms like ped, stovec, rta

Are you a traffic womble?

Car-Matt

1,724 posts

79 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
George Smiley said:
Your post screams knob.
Irony at its finest.......

Europa1

7,882 posts

129 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
George Smiley said:
If you say near side you know it means kerb, if you say inside you know it means the one near the centre.
Do you?

j_4m

1,320 posts

5 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
George Smiley said:
Your post screams knob.

I don’t call lanes the lorry, slow, fast lane. If you say near side you know it means kerb, if you say inside you know it means the one near the centre.

I bet you are they type that’s used terms like ped, stovec, rta

Are you a traffic womble?
Everyone I know uses 'inside' to describe the nearside lanes.

George Smiley

1,831 posts

22 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
j_4m said:
Everyone I know uses 'inside' to describe the nearside lanes.
Might be why I keep putting new tyres on the wrong axle