Jaguar xjc 4.2

Author
Discussion

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Sunday 7th January 2018
quotequote all
Below are 2 pictures of my car. The first looking good the second after being stuck outside for too long frown .
I’m finally in a position to start bringing her back.
I’ve owned the car since 2002 and I’m the 3rd owner since new. Its previously had a full body restoration in 89/90 and I’ve had a few repairs done also, but she got left on my front garden to allow building work and has been stuck there for nearly 3 years with 2 dead fuel pumps frown.
So probably lots of rust underneath now.
Rather than patch repair I’m going to have the body back to metal and give her a proper new lease of life again.
I’m not keeping the colour original as if I’m spending good money I’m after something of my taste rather than what was ordered in 1977. Ive already made some non standard alterations but like to think they fit well being Jaguar parts. This won’t be a purist restoration but hopefully something nice and useable once complete.
I’m currently waiting for the car to be picked up and assessed for work to be done. This won’t be a quick fix but will take time as budget allows.
If anyone is interested by all means chat away or just read as and when I post.
Nothing more to say really smile



Buff Mchugelarge

3,305 posts

98 months

Sunday 7th January 2018
quotequote all
That is very cool thumbup love the wheels
Check Harrys Garage on YouTube, he's got an Xjc V12 which he's done bits to and it's very similar looking to yours. smile

Mr Tidy

9,761 posts

75 months

Sunday 7th January 2018
quotequote all
Fantastic car OP, and I'm glad it will be getting revived! thumbup

They've always looked so cool - haven't dated at all.

I'm looking forward to the updates!

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Sunday 7th January 2018
quotequote all
Buff Mchugelarge said:
That is very cool thumbup love the wheels
Check Harrys Garage on YouTube, he's got an Xjc V12 which he's done bits to and it's very similar looking to yours. smile
Thank you, had a look at Harry’s v12 and yes I like the suspension upgrade.
I did a manual gearbox conversion on mine about 10 years ago and have a set of triples on the straight six now. No fuel pumps though and I can’t get it jacked up on the muddy front garden to fix it.



Above pictures were taken when it all worked

LanceRS

1,463 posts

85 months

Sunday 7th January 2018
quotequote all
A second one on here, brilliant!

Well done for sticking with it and bringing it back to life.

J4CKO

28,605 posts

148 months

Sunday 7th January 2018
quotequote all
These are so handsome, the normal XJ of the time was a looker but the 2 door takes it to another level.

TR4man

3,468 posts

122 months

Sunday 7th January 2018
quotequote all
Beautiful car, but what a shame it was left in a field.

Looking forward to your updates.

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Sunday 7th January 2018
quotequote all
Wasn’t left in a field, just my boggy front garden. tongue out
Well my lovely lady said time to fix the Jag and who am I to disagree smile

TR4man

3,468 posts

122 months

Monday 8th January 2018
quotequote all
RobXjcoupe said:
Wasn’t left in a field, just my boggy front garden. tongue out
Well my lovely lady said time to fix the Jag and who am I to disagree smile
Having your partner's permission is half the battle!

j4ckos mate

1,686 posts

118 months

Monday 8th January 2018
quotequote all
My dads old boss had one of these
big silver one, im sure it was a daimler though, and it had twin tanks

really deep purple coloured interior, as a kid i could barely open the door they were that heavy

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Monday 8th January 2018
quotequote all
j4ckos mate said:
My dads old boss had one of these
big silver one, im sure it was a daimler though, and it had twin tanks

really deep purple coloured interior, as a kid i could barely open the door they were that heavy
I’m sure the Daimler velour trim was deemed a higher spec than the Jaguar leather in the 70’s. The twin tanks were used On series 1-3 but the bizarre thing is you have a switch on the dash to pump from one or the other tank. If one tank is empty and you don’t swap tanks your engine stalls.

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Monday 8th January 2018
quotequote all
TR4man said:
RobXjcoupe said:
Wasn’t left in a field, just my boggy front garden. tongue out
Well my lovely lady said time to fix the Jag and who am I to disagree smile
Having your partner's permission is half the battle!
Well the deciding factor was I suffered a stroke recently aged 45 and came out totally unscathed even with all the pictures taken of inside my head showing the bleed which has healed itself.
So why not get the old Jag looking good again smile



M666 EVO

1,120 posts

110 months

Monday 8th January 2018
quotequote all
Holy sweet mother of Mary, Joseph and the baby Jebus.

That is a lovely looking thing. Personally I would have left it as an auto for max wafterbility but still, I doff my cap.

klunkT5

420 posts

66 months

Monday 8th January 2018
quotequote all
Looking forward to this project getting under way.

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Monday 8th January 2018
quotequote all
M666 EVO said:
Holy sweet mother of Mary, Joseph and the baby Jebus.

That is a lovely looking thing. Personally I would have left it as an auto for max wafterbility but still, I doff my cap.
The original auto 3 speed wasn’t a wafter tbh well unless you drove everywhere at 30mph. The 5 speed I fitted came from a series 3 xj6 and made a huge difference to the then original 2 carb fed engine. Had fun getting the speedo working after as needed an electronic drive rather than cable drive but figured it all out with standard Jaguar parts smile

HaylingJag

2,114 posts

96 months

Monday 8th January 2018
quotequote all
hello rob,

good to see you getting this sorted, it must have been a scare for you, going thru what you did. Go for it mate, as life aint gonna wait for anything...........
Ref the fuel pumps, i stripped my twin pumps out when the tanks were cleaned and flushed and replaced with a single electric pump up on the front inner wing. Filters were bought out from inside the tanks to in line jobbies positioned in each rear wheel arch. easier to keep an eye on and change when required. The plumbing was adapted to draw from both tanks simultaneously keeping the weight balance at the rear end........just a thought,

Darren

ps could still be interested at the right price;)

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Tuesday 9th January 2018
quotequote all
HaylingJag said:
hello rob,

good to see you getting this sorted, it must have been a scare for you, going thru what you did. Go for it mate, as life aint gonna wait for anything...........
Ref the fuel pumps, i stripped my twin pumps out when the tanks were cleaned and flushed and replaced with a single electric pump up on the front inner wing. Filters were bought out from inside the tanks to in line jobbies positioned in each rear wheel arch. easier to keep an eye on and change when required. The plumbing was adapted to draw from both tanks simultaneously keeping the weight balance at the rear end........just a thought,

Darren

ps could still be interested at the right price;)
Thanks for petrol tank advice. Best thing with pistonheads is reading about possible mods regarding different aspects of our cars.
Regarding my scare, that I’m afraid was very real but helped due to the quick thinking of my better half and her a an e nursing skills.

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Thursday 11th January 2018
quotequote all
Tomorrow morning I’ll be doing my best to jack each wheel above the ground to make sure the brakes haven’t siezed so the car can be prepped for towing, pushed, heaved etc off my boggy front garden then loaded up onto a trailer for an assessment on work to be done.
Gut feeling says to replace both floor pans as even if they haven’t rotted through anywhere the metal will be thinner due to any surface corrosion and floors are not that expensive.
Been thinking of fitting a series 1 bonnet with the larger front grill then using the series 2 height front bumper location to create front quarter bumpers and on the rear a one piece rear bumper.
They are the only body mods I would to do. Then get the car sitting lower but an even stance rather than the current nose down look she has at the moment.


Turbotechnic

589 posts

24 months

Thursday 11th January 2018
quotequote all
What a lovely old Jag you have. I've always loved the cool looks of an XJC. Good luck.

RobXjcoupe

Original Poster:

1,674 posts

39 months

Thursday 11th January 2018
quotequote all
Turbotechnic said:
What a lovely old Jag you have. I've always loved the cool looks of an XJC. Good luck.
Thank you smile