Are these Vloggers just a scam? SOL or Shmee etc? (Vol 2)

Are these Vloggers just a scam? SOL or Shmee etc? (Vol 2)

Author
Discussion

johnwilliams77

5,184 posts

42 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
spadgm said:
Pauls Channel started heading downhill after he sold his Huracan and was trying to buy a house, he lost a lot of momentum imo.
Meanwhile, Mr Shmee, stayed renting and put all his money into his channel and bought car after car, which kept people interested and coming back.
So while Tim is buying millions of dollars in cars, Paul is getting terrible view counts for a channel with nearly 750000 subs.
Not sure drifting will turn that around, I hope something does though.
I genuinely wish him all the best, he seems like a nice guy. Unfortunately I find his videos increasingly difficult to sit through and it seems that I am not alone. When he’s at a press launch I’d pick Harry, then STG, then jww then shmee to warm. Shmee gets watched simply because of the toys which he owns...

Shifter1

260 posts

30 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
NomduJour said:
When the barrier to entry to being a car “journalist” is having a phone and a GoPro, it can’t be a surprise that manufacturers and dealers are becoming more selective about who they want to associate with.
I agree with this. There are so many channels now that it is hard to keep up.

I have a life and can't afford to stay on YT for hours on end. So I started being more selective of what I watch.

For example I have all but lost interest in the "talking to my phone" type of channels. In the "look which car I bought" channels etc. They are the most numerous for obvious reasons. Anybody can do it, you can be an one man team, and it takes like what, an hour to film? While to make nice videos such as Petrolicious and the like probably takes a day or even more for a single video. So we have much less of that.

So YT is infested with these types of talking to my phone, talking to my gopro, talking to my camera standing alone on a tripod channels. I have started skipping them. It seems they are all doing the same thing. It has gotten boring.

Then there are in depth reviews such as carwow. I will only go through that if I'm interested in buying the particular car. But I guess this is what these reviews and channels are for.

So I have been watching mostly videos with good production. Videos which seem they are trying to accomplish something. A bit more polished. I don't need Top Gear polish. Not the point. But something that shows they are at least trying something besides just piling up views. That seems like they are tying to give good content and not just speaking their minds to the camera and wiggling it or phoning it in. That's more what I'm looking for instead of videos about vloggers bragging about their cars or just people talking to phones and gopros.



e46m3Mark

12,275 posts

112 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Munka01 said:
e46m3Mark said:
Just watched Top Gear Extra Gesr and Henry Catchpole and Paul Wallace were guests. Paul confirmed he’s still in training to become a pro drifter and is actually taking part in Gymkana Drift.
Does anyone actually enjoy watching drifting content? I find it great to do yourself but incredibly boring to watch,

What are his motives for becoming a 'pro drifter'? surely this isn't his grand scheme to invigorate his channel?
It's not for me but channels like Driftworks' and Monkey London appear to be doing OK with it. I've enjoyed watching the odd bit from the likes of Dan and certainly appreciate how it helps learn car control at the limit but I prefer the track stuff. Diversity is no bad thing though.

I did laugh when we were at Lydden Hill and every 5th session was for drifters. This old boy suddenly piped up ''bloody hell, it looks like a load of bloody joy riders have been let loose!''.

Good to see Adam is making some vids again too.

I love this from Hoonigan. Who wouldn't want an E46 to sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57-w6WTK6HU&t=...

easytiger123

1,628 posts

148 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
I also like Paul's channel a lot but agree that some of his recent stuff is pretty crap. It comes across as the filler it obviously is. Get driving the LP640 on some proper trips!

Munka01

291 posts

78 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
e46m3Mark said:
It's not for me but channels like Driftworks' and Monkey London appear to be doing OK with it. I've enjoyed watching the odd bit from the likes of Dan and certainly appreciate how it helps learn car control at the limit but I prefer the track stuff. Diversity is no bad thing though.

I did laugh when we were at Lydden Hill and every 5th session was for drifters. This old boy suddenly piped up ''bloody hell, it looks like a load of bloody joy riders have been let loose!''.

Good to see Adam is making some vids again too.

I love this from Hoonigan. Who wouldn't want an E46 to sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57-w6WTK6HU&t=...
I agree that there is a market for drifting content, I am just not sure how it fits in with 'Supercars' of London.

To be honest though, I have probably only watched a handful of his videos (and only recently as well) so maybe I have misunderstood the type of channel it is and what has brought in current subscribers.



Advertisement

Frimley111R

9,410 posts

173 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
If one more vlogger starts their vid with 'Hey, whats up guys....' ....

DannyScene

5,202 posts

94 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
The thing that bemused me with SOL was when he was 'shopping for a drift car' and bought a C63 claiming it was perfect to learn in

rottenegg

89 posts

2 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Frimley111R said:
If one more vlogger starts their vid with 'Hey, whats up guys....' ....
And takes 20 minutes to get to the point.

My missus leaves the room when she hears "Hello, and welcome....." (Engineering Explained) hehe

e46m3Mark

12,275 posts

112 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Shifter1 said:
While to make nice videos such as Petrolicious and the like probably takes a day or even more for a single video. So we have much less of that.
It took 3 days shooting, 4 or 5 locations, several hundred miles travel and fair few £££'s in fuel, accommodation etc, to do our 8 minute video for Petrolicious.

smithyithy

4,226 posts

57 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Frimley111R said:
If one more vlogger starts their vid with 'Hey, whats up guys....' ....
The worst for this are the American YouTubers that do the gaming / tech videos, it's just a big blur of words at the start of every video..

"WWWWWWhatsUpGuys ItsYaBoyXxxRazorTechMadness34 CominAtYaWithAnothaVideo DontForgetToLikeCommentSubscribe andSMASHthatNotificationBell"

Only slightly less annoying, for me at least, than Doug DeMuro's "THIS..."

Shifter1

260 posts

30 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
e46m3Mark said:
It took 3 days shooting, 4 or 5 locations, several hundred miles travel and fair few £££'s in fuel, accommodation etc, to do our 8 minute video for Petrolicious.
But normally Petrolicious videos are totally worth it. Which video is that by the way?

lewishollings

170 posts

25 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
rottenegg said:
Frimley111R said:
If one more vlogger starts their vid with 'Hey, whats up guys....' ....
And takes 20 minutes to get to the point.

My missus leaves the room when she hears "Hello, and welcome....." (Engineering Explained) hehe
My missus is the same when she hears " Hellooooo one and all, welcome to ... " (Seen through glass)

Butter Face

18,072 posts

99 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Shifter1 said:
e46m3Mark said:
It took 3 days shooting, 4 or 5 locations, several hundred miles travel and fair few £££'s in fuel, accommodation etc, to do our 8 minute video for Petrolicious.
But normally Petrolicious videos are totally worth it. Which video is that by the way?
HTH - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCY66GT2o70&t=...

e46m3Mark

12,275 posts

112 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Shifter1 said:
e46m3Mark said:
It took 3 days shooting, 4 or 5 locations, several hundred miles travel and fair few £££'s in fuel, accommodation etc, to do our 8 minute video for Petrolicious.
But normally Petrolicious videos are totally worth it.
Absolutely. Even when they're about cars I have no real interest in, they usually find an angle to draw you in.

ashleyman

5,247 posts

38 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Does anyone know why a channel I have blocked would be showing up on my recommendations?

There's a channel called MarzBarVlogs which was always coming up on my recommended and it is of absolutely no interest to me whatsoever. I blocked the channel a few months back but it's now showing up in my recommendations list again.

I've been to the channel to check and it's still blocked as I can't re-block only Unblock.

Any ideas?

Shifter1

260 posts

30 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
e46m3Mark said:
Absolutely. Even when they're about cars I have no real interest in, they usually find an angle to draw you in.
It was a nice video. (Thanks for posting it Butter Face)

It looks like art. I wonder how many people working on the team to pull something like that off? I'm betting it's not just one guy with a camera.

It's clear why most videos are not like that and are just people talking to their phones. Probably a lot of work.

First I thought you were involved in producing the video. But looking at your screen name I'm thinking you are the Mark, owner of the car in the video? That's a very nice car. I always wondered if owners get any sort of compensation for providing their cars or being in the videos.



e46m3Mark

12,275 posts

112 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Shifter1 said:
e46m3Mark said:
Absolutely. Even when they're about cars I have no real interest in, they usually find an angle to draw you in.
It was a nice video. (Thanks for posting it Butter Face)

It looks like art. I wonder how many people working on the team to pull something like that off? I'm betting it's not just one guy with a camera.

It's clear why most videos are not like that and are just people talking to their phones. Probably a lot of work.

First I thought you were involved in producing the video. But looking at your screen name I'm thinking you are the Mark, owner of the car in the video? That's a very nice car. I always wondered if owners get any sort of compensation for providing their cars or being in the videos.
It came about because I had been put in touch with another YT'er (with a view to him doing a review on the E30 M3) and the guys with the cameras (Thomas Garner & Oli @officialmumbo) contacted me to see if I'd be up for doing the video with them. I wasn't paid, although I have been sponsored with parts and tyres from several companies like STACK and Nankang UK, due in part to the magazine editorial I write. The original YT'er I was put in touch with is doing a review with my E46 M3 later this year. If honest, I was really pleased to work on the Petrolicious video, as I feel the same way about them as you do, and I should make it clear I only do any of this stuff for fun.






Edited by e46m3Mark on Thursday 14th March 17:36

andrewrob

2,877 posts

129 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
lewishollings said:
rottenegg said:
Frimley111R said:
If one more vlogger starts their vid with 'Hey, whats up guys....' ....
And takes 20 minutes to get to the point.

My missus leaves the room when she hears "Hello, and welcome....." (Engineering Explained) hehe
My missus is the same when she hears " Hellooooo one and all, welcome to ... " (Seen through glass)
Same here but its either HI GUYS IT'S SHMEE or THIS
Then I'll just keep playing CHEERS over and over again just to wind her up a bit more

Burwood

11,392 posts

185 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
So who's a fan of the pretentious NVN premises? My call is it will be a spectacular failure.

Master Bean

1,226 posts

59 months

Thursday 14th March
quotequote all
Burwood said:
So who's a fan of the pretentious NVN premises? My call is it will be a spectacular failure.
It's a franchise I'm guessing of the one in Dubai.