Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 13]

Best smoker barges 1-5 large [Vol 13]

TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED
Author
Discussion

tobinen

5,576 posts

93 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
W00DY said:
Nice but I think he's optimistic at that asking price

olly755

2,424 posts

110 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
Lowtimer said:
Have those got some extremely subtle plate supplier marking etched into them which doesn't show up on the photos?
\

No there are no additional markings at all. They are purchased as "show plates" so possibly not required. (Does the plate supplier have to list their markings on "legal" plates?).

tobinen

5,576 posts

93 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
I believe so. I also have a set of pre-2001 font on the CL, also from Fancy Plates

Jimmy Recard

15,852 posts

127 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
olly755 said:
No there are no additional markings at all. They are purchased as "show plates" so possibly not required. (Does the plate supplier have to list their markings on "legal" plates?).
They do for 51 plate upwards, I think?

Earlier than that it's ok, I thought

Lowtimer

4,096 posts

116 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
As I understand it, it;s only legally OK for pre-51 cars not to show identity the plate supplier if the plates were actually manufactured before the requirement came in - e.g. the original plates the car was sold new with, not newly-made ones. Which is why yours are sold as "show plates" i.e. not for road use.

I have some with a VERY SUBTLE marking of the manufacturer's ID on the face, not the usual heavy black script, and you wouldn't really notice the ID mark if you glanced at the car.

Mind you, chances of getting pulled = negligible, I'd say. But you might get an eyebrow at MOT time.

DVLA says:
"To meet the British Standard, each number plate must be permanently and legibly marked with the
following information:
• the British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d)
• the name, trademark or other way of identifying the
manufacturer or supplier
• the name and postcode of the supplying outlet."

r129sl

8,132 posts

151 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
I have no markings on any of my cars' numberplates. They spoil the look. All are in the old font, too. How on earth is anyone going to show the plates have been purchased since 2001 and were not on the car earlier? Rather like the child seat laws, I would be surprised if there has ever been a prosecution for displaying plates without the BS markings and post code and so on. Dodgy spacing, maybe, but not the other stuff.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/wr...

CharlesdeGaulle

11,080 posts

128 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
r129sl said:
... I would be surprised if there has ever been a prosecution for displaying plates without the BS markings and post code and so on. Dodgy spacing, maybe, but not the other stuff.
I agree. And whilst not necessarily a stated legal priority, there have to be more pressing concerns with number plates, if only on taste grounds, than the lack of a post code on the plate on a valuable classic.*

* aka old sheddy heap that no-one in their right mind would 'invest' in but that we love.

Dum Dum

63 posts

36 months

Friday 11th January
quotequote all
gobuddygo said:
Looks like my old Omega has a head gasket gone and wont be economical to fix frown

Been looking for a Lexus RX and came across this GS300 which looks great value for money any thoughts please? MOT history looks ok but will need rear shocks soon.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/lexus/2007-lexus-gs300-3...
Very unlikely the HG has failed, probably the oil cooler, which is common on Omega's and usually misdiagnosed.
Replacement is not difficult (it sits in the V) but is most of a day job plus around £150 in parts.
Check out the Omega owners site, they should still have a guide.

Lexus is nice, I had a GS300 a while back and it was excellent (far superior to the Omega).
Make sure it is an SEL to get all the toys.
Stereo is seriously impressive.

BigBen

9,902 posts

178 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
r129sl said:
... I would be surprised if there has ever been a prosecution for displaying plates without the BS markings and post code and so on. Dodgy spacing, maybe, but not the other stuff.
I agree. And whilst not necessarily a stated legal priority, there have to be more pressing concerns with number plates, if only on taste grounds, than the lack of a post code on the plate on a valuable classic.*

* aka old sheddy heap that no-one in their right mind would 'invest' in but that we love.
The problem I have with the whole thing is that you can get points and stuff for a dodgy plate but simply not having one at all is a £30 fixed fine. That said a friend who is a traffic policeman said whilst the £30 is technically true if they want to get you they will......

BrabusMog

14,998 posts

134 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
BigBen said:
CharlesdeGaulle said:
r129sl said:
... I would be surprised if there has ever been a prosecution for displaying plates without the BS markings and post code and so on. Dodgy spacing, maybe, but not the other stuff.
I agree. And whilst not necessarily a stated legal priority, there have to be more pressing concerns with number plates, if only on taste grounds, than the lack of a post code on the plate on a valuable classic.*

* aka old sheddy heap that no-one in their right mind would 'invest' in but that we love.
The problem I have with the whole thing is that you can get points and stuff for a dodgy plate but simply not having one at all is a £30 fixed fine. That said a friend who is a traffic policeman said whilst the £30 is technically true if they want to get you they will......
There was a thread a while back where Plod got it wrong and tried to prosecute someone for having the plate too small, it was quite eye opening.

CharlesdeGaulle

11,080 posts

128 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
BrabusMog said:
There was a thread a while back where Plod got it wrong and tried to prosecute someone for having the plate too small, it was quite eye opening.
I think I recall something along those lines. I'd be surprised if there wasn't more to that in attitude terms though, whatever ones views on the rights and wrongs of it.

BrabusMog

14,998 posts

134 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
BrabusMog said:
There was a thread a while back where Plod got it wrong and tried to prosecute someone for having the plate too small, it was quite eye opening.
I think I recall something along those lines. I'd be surprised if there wasn't more to that in attitude terms though, whatever ones views on the rights and wrongs of it.
I think the attitude actually came from Plod if you take the poster at face value, which I always do.

RicksAlfas

10,167 posts

192 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Jimmy Recard said:
Thanks LeighW. That's one of the ones that I was considering, so I'll have a go there
I’m on that forum. There are some knowledgeable chaps, I’m sure they will help.

I would be very surprised if there wasn’t a plug in the rear wiring harness on your ML. There was on my Range Rover which was ten years older.

SpeckledJim

20,135 posts

201 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
Well, a top-up of transmission fluid restored drive to the stricken 190e, so sincere thanks to all who helped with that.

It was hosing back out again, mind you, so I’m not out of the woods yet, but at least the solution won’t be too difficult or expensive, hopefully!

Jimmy Recard

15,852 posts

127 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
RicksAlfas said:
I’m on that forum. There are some knowledgeable chaps, I’m sure they will help.

I would be very surprised if there wasn’t a plug in the rear wiring harness on your ML. There was on my Range Rover which was ten years older.
I expect there will be, I just want to make sure I get the right kit. I'll sign up today and get my questions on there.

Thanks for the recommendation smile

tobinen

5,576 posts

93 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
SpeckledJim said:
Well, a top-up of transmission fluid restored drive to the stricken 190e, so sincere thanks to all who helped with that.

It was hosing back out again, mind you, so I’m not out of the woods yet, but at least the solution won’t be too difficult or expensive, hopefully!
A happy ending is in sight, I am certain

CharlesdeGaulle

11,080 posts

128 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
tobinen said:
A happy ending is in sight, I am certain
Bit forward over a car old chap!

dme123

5,271 posts

137 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
CharlesdeGaulle said:
Bit forward over a car old chap!
rolleyeshehe

Kinky

37,098 posts

217 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
RicksAlfas said:
Jimmy Recard said:
Thanks LeighW. That's one of the ones that I was considering, so I'll have a go there
I’m on that forum. There are some knowledgeable chaps, I’m sure they will help.
Seconded for that forum; by far the best one out there thumbup

0a

21,626 posts

142 months

Saturday 12th January
quotequote all
BigBen said:
CharlesdeGaulle said:
r129sl said:
... I would be surprised if there has ever been a prosecution for displaying plates without the BS markings and post code and so on. Dodgy spacing, maybe, but not the other stuff.
I agree. And whilst not necessarily a stated legal priority, there have to be more pressing concerns with number plates, if only on taste grounds, than the lack of a post code on the plate on a valuable classic.*

* aka old sheddy heap that no-one in their right mind would 'invest' in but that we love.
The problem I have with the whole thing is that you can get points and stuff for a dodgy plate but simply not having one at all is a £30 fixed fine. That said a friend who is a traffic policeman said whilst the £30 is technically true if they want to get you they will......
There is zero chance you will get done for this.

Plod is both incompetent, and specifically so with regards to legislation, and overburdened. Unless you are doing a safe but provable 85mph they are not interested at all.

.
TOPIC CLOSED
TOPIC CLOSED