RE: Updated 7 Series gets new 530hp V8

RE: Updated 7 Series gets new 530hp V8

Author
Discussion

bluemason

341 posts

67 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
ReaperCushions said:
Yes indeed. I think it is 100% designed to appeal to rich / wealthy / ostentatious folks. See also Bentayga grilles.
And most of the public would not even care about a bentayga.

Ninja59

2,149 posts

56 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
BFleming said:
Ever get the feeling they're trying to inject a little Rolls Royce 'style' to their current cars? The X7 and Cullinan aren't far removed from each other after all.
I guess we will get used to it.
The Cullinan and X7 are not on the same chassis.

The Cullinan and Phantom share the Architecture of Luxury chassis.

X7 is on the CLAR which in essence will be used on 3 series (G20/G21), 4 series (G22/23), 5 series (G30/G31), 6 series (G32), 7 series (G11/G12) and X3 (G03), X4 (G02), X5 (G05), X6 (G06), X7 (G07).

Everything lower than a 3 (1,2 and X1 and X2) will in essence ultimately use the UKL1/2 (aka "mini" platform) and be FWD/AWD.

Overall, the sad reality in many cases is that ironically BMW will probably have less RWD cars than Xdrive or FWD models, oh the irony.

Court_S

1,004 posts

121 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
That’s really rather awful.

BMW seem to have totally lost the plot; their cars get uglier with every iteration. It makes things like the E60 love very resolved and subtle!

The performance in a car that size is pretty impressive though. Hopefully they’ll all be driven that way so no one has to actually look at it!

BFleming

1,226 posts

87 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
So a few days into this, and having read other publication's comments regarding the grille, I note that PH's original article made almost zero reference to it, just referring to it as 'significantly larger'. Every other publication through Europe is opening with 'what the hell have BMW done?'. Is PH afraid of upsetting the special relationship with BMW?

Speed addicted

3,757 posts

171 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Court_S said:
That’s really rather awful.

BMW seem to have totally lost the plot; their cars get uglier with every iteration. It makes things like the E60 love very resolved and subtle!

The performance in a car that size is pretty impressive though. Hopefully they’ll all be driven that way so no one has to actually look at it!
I'm currently on BMW number 8, but the current range doesn't really interest me. My 6 series is now 14 years old,when it was launched it was called all sorts of names along with the e60 5 series.
Remember the slagging both designs (from Bangle) got at the time? But the 5 and 6 series have aged really quite well, the e60 came out in 2003 but doesn't look ancient which is pretty amazing in its self.

I like the interiors in the newer cars, the 8 speed auto is great and it would be quite nice to have more modern gizmos for the entertainment but the exterior looks just don't do anything for me.
BMW, Audi and Mercedes seem to have all gone for a more chintzy, aggressive look over the years rather than the simpler and cleaner style from years gone by.


Court_S

1,004 posts

121 months

Friday 18th January
quotequote all
Speed addicted said:
I'm currently on BMW number 8, but the current range doesn't really interest me. My 6 series is now 14 years old,when it was launched it was called all sorts of names along with the e60 5 series.
Remember the slagging both designs (from Bangle) got at the time? But the 5 and 6 series have aged really quite well, the e60 came out in 2003 but doesn't look ancient which is pretty amazing in its self.

I like the interiors in the newer cars, the 8 speed auto is great and it would be quite nice to have more modern gizmos for the entertainment but the exterior looks just don't do anything for me.
BMW, Audi and Mercedes seem to have all gone for a more chintzy, aggressive look over the years rather than the simpler and cleaner style from years gone by.
It’s a real shame because I’ve always been a big BMW ever since getting a ride in an E36 as a kid (I loved how low it felt with the high transmission tunnel), but the newer cars don’t really float my boat. For me the E46 and E39 were their best designs from an aesthetics point of view. The E90 and E60 cars have actually aged really well to my eyes.

I’m gonna I got to buy an M135 this summer when my company car goes back. It’s not pretty but the engine is lovely and it’ll be the last time a smallish car has a six pot squeezed into it.

Definitely agree re the interiors which I really like. The 8 speed box is a huge improvement over the 6 speed box that was in my old 330.

Mike335i

2,454 posts

46 months

Saturday 19th January
quotequote all
BFleming said:
So a few days into this, and having read other publication's comments regarding the grille, I note that PH's original article made almost zero reference to it, just referring to it as 'significantly larger'. Every other publication through Europe is opening with 'what the hell have BMW done?'. Is PH afraid of upsetting the special relationship with BMW?
Haha maybe they knew they didn't need to, it has been referenced quite enough in the comments.

framerateuk

2,521 posts

128 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
The last generation was a lovely car to be in, I'm sure this will be too.

Seriously though, who signs off these designs? You don't need internet memes to show how ridiculous that grill is.

Dave Hedgehog

10,602 posts

148 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
framerateuk said:
The last generation was a lovely car to be in, I'm sure this will be too.

Seriously though, who signs off these designs? You don't need internet memes to show how ridiculous that grill is.
its almost as stupidly over sized as the audi ones, jebus have you seen the ridiculous front grill on the S3 LOL


Ares

8,610 posts

64 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
I saw my first one of these in the flesh last week. It's nothing like as bad in real life, and didn't immediately shout 'GRILL' any more than the pre-facelifted version.

Still lacks the class of the S-class, but then it always has, and probably always will.

Rawwr

22,228 posts

178 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE!

AC43

7,192 posts

152 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Utterly gopping.

When Bangle met Kahn.

Triumph Man

5,923 posts

112 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Rawwr said:
GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE! GRILLE!
What he said.


I don't mind the back of this, but that grille is truly hideous. Oh, and I still hate the new BMW dials.

RazerSauber

259 posts

4 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
The more I look at these, the more I like them! that seems like q huge hike for the V8 to V12 though. What other features must you get? 4 cylinders and 25bhp is hardly work a £55000 premium, surely?

Shakermaker

9,330 posts

44 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
RazerSauber said:
The more I look at these, the more I like them! that seems like q huge hike for the V8 to V12 though. What other features must you get? 4 cylinders and 25bhp is hardly work a £55000 premium, surely?
Oh you've only got the V8?

Chamon_Lee

2,568 posts

91 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
inititally was very unsure but i really like it! I think it looks fantastic from the front - big grille and all.

framerateuk

2,521 posts

128 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Dave Hedgehog said:
its almost as stupidly over sized as the audi ones, jebus have you seen the ridiculous front grill on the S3 LOL
Also silly, but at least it doesn't look like it's wearing a pair of buck teeth!

Chestrockwell

1,773 posts

101 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Shakermaker said:
Oh you've only got the V8?
LOL!

All jokes aside though, in an ideal universe, I’d have the V8 only because it comes in short wheelbase

howardhughes

325 posts

148 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
All 'grill' comments aside. I've had have the pleasure of a trip to London in a M760LI and all I can say is bar far the most luxurious car I've had the pleasure of sitting in. And trust me I've sat in plenty of luxury performance cars over the years.

The performance is blistering and the interior alone will soon leave your grill comments far behind...


Fetchez la vache

5,159 posts

158 months

Thursday 16th May
quotequote all
Reminds me of the Ford Scorpio...
... a lovely place to be (at the time), but fk me it was ugly from the outside.

That's presumably not the effect BMW were thinking.