RE: Updated 7 Series gets new 530hp V8

RE: Updated 7 Series gets new 530hp V8

Author
Discussion

claudereff

53 posts

47 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Awful front end

layercake

330 posts

42 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
I agree, that front grill is just horrible, yikes

Chestrockwell

1,304 posts

95 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
All I keep seeing is China this, China that, big brands catering to them.

Do people sink 100k into luxury salons in China every day? I don’t get it, are the streets filled with long wheel base barges?

Sure they have a population of over a billion and the economy is booming but I’m sure the majority are poor over there, unless I’m missing something. The economy in places like Brazil and India is booming but that only means the rich get richer.

cerb4.5lee

10,782 posts

118 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Chestrockwell said:
Sure the grill is oversized but I can’t help but think that cars like these don’t have to be ‘pretty’.
As proved by the (E65) 7 series and my god that was an ugly thing. It is almost as if Chris Bangle is coming back to haunt us all again with this ugly mess!! hehe

kambites

55,866 posts

159 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Chestrockwell said:
Sure they have a population of over a billion and the economy is booming but I’m sure the majority are poor over there, unless I’m missing something.
Of course, but you don't need a very large proportion of 1bn people to buy a 7-series to make it a massive part of the market and everyone in China seems to aspire to own a big saloon car. Hence a significant number of LWB saloons being built by western brands purely for the Chinese market.
Advertisement

2Btoo

919 posts

141 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Tuvra said:
In fairness, in the right spec the current/previous generation is a nice looking car:-

Sorry, it's not a nice looking car at all.

I'll grant you it's better than the new one, but that's about it.

Xaero

3,727 posts

153 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
I wonder how big the next generation's 7 series grille will be. Now they've taken up all the width inside the headlights, I guess they could extend it up into the bonnet next until it eventually looks like an egg slicer.

fernando the frog

95 posts

6 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Charlie Michael said:
Did they 150% the front grill during design and forget to put it back?
biggrinbiggrinlaugh

Brainpox

2,491 posts

89 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Xaero said:
I wonder how big the next generation's 7 series grille will be. Now they've taken up all the width inside the headlights, I guess they could extend it up into the bonnet next until it eventually looks like an egg slicer.

Xaero

3,727 posts

153 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Brainpox said:
Expect a PM from the BMW design department recruitment staff soon.

Funk

20,272 posts

147 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Brainpox said:
Xaero said:
I wonder how big the next generation's 7 series grille will be. Now they've taken up all the width inside the headlights, I guess they could extend it up into the bonnet next until it eventually looks like an egg slicer.
roflroflrofl

garyhun

25,965 posts

166 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Snubs said:
I was having a look at the new 8 series the other day and thought the grille was a bit OTT:



But this....

Is there a picture of Bugs Bunny on the wall in the BMW design studio?
Much better in black......



cerb4.5lee

10,782 posts

118 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Funk said:
Brainpox said:
Xaero said:
I wonder how big the next generation's 7 series grille will be. Now they've taken up all the width inside the headlights, I guess they could extend it up into the bonnet next until it eventually looks like an egg slicer.
roflroflrofl
Is it wrong that I actually think it looks better this way!! hehe

TwinExit

394 posts

30 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Chestrockwell said:
All I keep seeing is China this, China that, big brands catering to them.

Do people sink 100k into luxury salons in China every day? I don’t get it, are the streets filled with long wheel base barges?

Sure they have a population of over a billion and the economy is booming but I’m sure the majority are poor over there, unless I’m missing something. The economy in places like Brazil and India is booming but that only means the rich get richer.
No, the design language of BMW trickles down from the 7/8 Series to the 1 series, and that is of assertiveness and aggression.

For a BMW owner to 'not get noticed', he has failed in that facet of his life.

Nothing to do with China at all, that's just daily mail thinking.


Vergis

437 posts

180 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
I like it. Its a statement of intent ! Powerful , dominating look.

TwinExit

394 posts

30 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Vergis said:
I like it. Its a statement of intent ! Powerful , dominating look.
Need I say more?

Wills2

15,273 posts

113 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
I actually think I'm warming to it.


drpep

1,188 posts

106 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Oof that front end. Good heavens. It’s pretty amazing to think that it is the job of several humans to decide “yes, this is the design we’re going with” and put pen to paper to approve this.

phil1979

3,072 posts

153 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all

Burwood

11,016 posts

184 months

Wednesday 16th January
quotequote all
Tuvra said:
Funk said:
A wistful reminder of just how good the 7-series used to look.
In fairness, in the right spec the current/previous generation is a nice looking car:-


This "new" one is disgusting though frown
Is that liquid silver-it looks great